• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why Overpay For Smoove...

Buzzard

I guarantee you if Horford had proven to be a bust; the ASG would have Smoove locked up by now. But if you look at the big picture, why would you overpay for Smoove at PF, when you have a budding all-star PF in Horford?

You don't is the answer. Marvin knows his role at SF and will take 8 to 10 mill next year. Horford can play PF better than Smoove already and will be on a rookie contract. Smoove is stuck behind a rock and a hard place. He wants superstar type money but he is not someone to build a team around as stated in another thread.

I guarantee the ASG is looking at this from the perspective that we build around JJ and Horford; and go from there. If Smoove wants to be overpaid, it will have to come from another team. I am not saying we will not sign Smoove; but I am saying we will not overpay for him. He really is stuck between Horford and Marvin, a rock and a hard place....

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

open mouth, insert foot

LOL, I guess you think PPG and weakside blocks are the most important qualities a PF can bring to the game. Personally I think a bigger body, better rebounder, higher BBall IQ, better big man fundamentals, more tenacious man on man defender, and better shot selection are way more important...

Don't get me wrong I love Al but he is not a better player than Smoove is right now, him not being signed has nothing to do with Al or Marvin lol... And who on here said overpay for Smoove????

72 mill for Smoove is overpaying. 60 is what he should take and he needs to do it before the ASG changes their mind...

72 mill for Smoove is overpaying. 60 is what he should take and he needs to do it before the ASG changes their mind...

Great post, james.

If ASG is in fact committed to paying Horford and Joe the MONEY they WANT when the TIME COMES, this is 100 % correct.

It all depends if the team is really built around our two best players (JJ and Horford), which I HOPE it is.

DO not overpay for Smoove! :brick wall:

Also, we need to take into account the fact that Horford is a career winner. When we were playing Boston in the playoffs, if there was 1 reason I thought we'd upset them (unfortunately we didn't), it was because Al Horford would not let us lose.

Just wait 1 or 2 years until you see how special this guy really is.

LOL, I guess you think PPG and weakside blocks are the most important qualities a PF can bring to the game. Personally I think a bigger body, better rebounder, higher BBall IQ, better big man fundamentals, more tenacious man on man defender, and better shot selection are way more important...

The tenacious man on man defender got lit up this year by the top 4s, the same guys Smith held in check the previous season. if Horford is such a great man defender why was Smith the one guarding KG in the playoffs?

I didn't realize standing around with the ball with your elbows out while your man is 5 feet off you is a sign of a high BBall IQ.

The only area that Horford has a big advantage over Smith is on the offensive glass. The main reason for that is obviously that Smith likes to do his Rashard impersonation too often.

When you look up at the scoreboard what do you see? Points, and Horford doesn't contribute enough points for the Hawks and he certainly doesn't prevent as many from the other team as Smith.

Also, we need to take into account the fact that Horford is a career winner. When we were playing Boston in the playoffs, if there was 1 reason I thought we'd upset them (unfortunately we didn't), it was because Al Horford would not let us lose.

Who was it that scored 56 pts shooting 57% against the DPOY in our victories in games 3 and 4?

There is a reason Garnett was on Smith and Perkins was on Horford.

Edited by exodus

I think impact on the floor is the most important quality that any player can bring and Josh is right behind Joe and waaaaaay ahead of everybody else in that category on this team.

I agree 100%. Horford will be defense, rebounding, points, and wins all day long in next couple of years. We have been begging for a PF or Center since the days of Deke and on back to Willis and Tree. We have one now; and if the ASG has half a brain he will get paid two years from now...

Who was it that scored 56 pts shooting 57% against the DPOY in our victories in games 3 and 4?

I don't quite agree with the premise of the original post but if you are going to talk about Smooves great play in games 3 and 4 I think we should also discuss him quitting like a dog in game 7.. Smoove has the talent but I wish he would take a dose of Horfords attitude.

And what did he do in our losses? Not to mention the fact he shot less than 20% from three point land for the series. Do not get me wrong here, I like Smoove; but he is not a big in the truest sense of the word. Horford is and good bigs are harder to come by than good 6'9" tweeners; just as good PG's are harder to get than good SG's...

I don't quite agree with the premise of the original post but if you are going to talk about Smooves great play in games 3 and 4 I think we should also discuss him quitting like a dog in game 7.. Smoove has the talent but I wish he would take a dose of Horfords attitude.

if he had Horford's attitude he would be a 10 ppg 1.5 assist per game player. JJ would be under even more pressure to score.

Funny how people criticize Marvin for his lack of aggressiveness but applaud Horford for the same thing.

And what did he do in our losses? Not to mention the fact he shot less than 20% from three point land for the series. Do not get me wrong here, I like Smoove; but he is not a big in the truest sense of the word. Horford is and good bigs are harder to come by than good 6'9" tweeners; just as good PG's are harder to get than good SG's...

maybe you missed the post i was replying to where he said it was Horford's "refusal to let us lose" that extended the series. In fact it was Smith and JJ going off that made it a rough series in Atlanta for Boston.

Horford hasn't been able to score on bigs even though the other teams best defender is always on Smith. And Horford certainly hasn't shown the ability to guard someone like Garnett.

The tenacious man on man defender got lit up this year by the top 4s, the same guys Smith held in check the previous season. if Horford is such a great man defender why was Smith the one guarding KG in the playoffs?

I didn't realize standing around with the ball with your elbows out while your man is 5 feet off you is a sign of a high BBall IQ.

The only area that Horford has a big advantage over Smith is on the offensive glass. The main reason for that is obviously that Smith likes to do his Rashard impersonation too often.

When you look up at the scoreboard what do you see? Points, and Horford doesn't contribute enough points for the Hawks and he certainly doesn't prevent as many from the other team as Smith.

Horford played center for us this year 80% of the time. If a PF was lighting us up it was usually not against Horf. You even say so in your sentence concerning KG...Go find me a stat line where Smoove held a top 4 PF in check. It did not happen. Dirk, KG etc all got their averages or close. A 4pt difference is not holding anyone in check nor is it having a career game either...