• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is There Anything That Can Be Done To Get A Real Big Man On This Team?

gpe1975

I have to admit, I took a long break from the Hawks and the NBA. I jumped back on the wagon in the middle of last year. So excuse me if I seem a little naive when it comes to the NBA trade/FA situation.

When I look at the Hawks roster, I feel like we have not addressed one of the gaping holes in our roster this offseason. We still have a CBA quality center. Horford should not be playing the 5.

Is there anything at this point of the year that can be done to significantly upgrade our center position without ruining our salary flexibility for the future?

We already paid Josh Smith to be the PF... Horford's too good to be a backup.

Of course Horford starts, at the PF position, not C. Marvin can be the 6th man.

I would really like to see this:

Bibby

JJ

Smith

Horford

REAL CENTER (not ZaZa)

Of course Horford starts, at the PF position, not C. Marvin can be the 6th man.

I would really like to see this:

Bibby

JJ

Smith

Horford

REAL CENTER (not ZaZa)

It is a pretty safe bet we won't get a center to start in front of Horford. But you are right we need someone with legit center size to back him up. I am not expecting much from Randolph Morris.

It is a pretty safe bet we won't get a center to start in front of Horford. But you are right we need someone with legit center size to back him up. I am not expecting much from Randolph Morris.

I'm still feeling giddy. I think there is a good chance Randolph will be embarrassed to be a lazy a** in front of his old rival Josh Smith. I think he may finally start trying.

He has the size. He has a few post moves. He's just been lazy, including at Ky.

Sad to say there aren't to many quality centers anymore. The teams who do have them won't trade them. Horford and Smoove down low is the best the Hawks can have going forward. Not a bad combo to be stuck with. In fact read this from Smoove:

“I don’t think there’s any questions that our games complement each other,” Smith said. “You develop a chemistry out there that is hard to duplicate. And I think over the course of the season me and Al got our chemistry down, in terms of knowing how to cover each other’s backs and fuel each other’s fire, so to speak. We’re going to try and wreak havoc every night. Every night.”

That gets me fired up reading it. As I have said in the past the chemistry cannot be overlooked between Smoove and Big Al. We are lucky to have them both!

I have to admit, I took a long break from the Hawks and the NBA. I jumped back on the wagon in the middle of last year. So excuse me if I seem a little naive when it comes to the NBA trade/FA situation.

When I look at the Hawks roster, I feel like we have not addressed one of the gaping holes in our roster this offseason. We still have a CBA quality center. Horford should not be playing the 5.

Is there anything at this point of the year that can be done to significantly upgrade our center position without ruining our salary flexibility for the future?

If you think Josh Smith can play SF then your right, you have not watched much basketball. Don't mean to be rude but come on SF ?

The only way that kid can play SF is if we get one of the very few centers in the league who can hit the 3 or our offense will be a mess and those types of players are taken.

I personally can wait to see the mismatches these guys we have will cause in the front court:

Marvin 6'9'' and now about 245 lbs (especially if the hard work on 3 point range pays off )

Smoove 6'9'' and between 240-245 lbs

Horford 6'10'' and 250-255 lbs of all muscle.

No stiffs in that bunch. Man I can't wait.

We do need a big ugly to play 20 mpg but bot to start.

I'm still feeling giddy. I think there is a good chance Randolph will be embarrassed to be a lazy a** in front of his old rival Josh Smith. I think he may finally start trying.

I was thinking the same thing...... I read somewhere that he, Smoove and Howard played together on an AAU team. If any rivalry can pump him up it should be this one. If that happens it would be great for the Hawks.

What about someone like Theo Ratliff. Is he on a team?

Been there done that with Theo. I don't think I could take a season of watching both Theo and Craig sitting on the bench in suits. Those are two of the most fragile dudes who ever laced 'em up in the NBA. They are like the Mike Hamptons of the NBA. They get you all excited looking at their talent and then they will get some kind of exotic injury that keeps them out for the balance of the season. No thanks on Theo.

Smith really can't play the SF for any duration. Too little lateral movement for the more agile SFs and can't shoot straight to save his life. He works very well as an athletic PF. Horford should play the PF eventually, but right now he does OK at center.

Let's see if Horford comes back with more post moves and has more confidence in taking his man off the dribble.

The biggest hole that the Hawks have right now is bench scoring. Law and Evans might be able to provide that, but IMO, we need another guy that can slash and score.