• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

For us to take it to another level what will JJ have to do!

Wurider05

If we are going to take it to another level what should we expect from JJ our team leader and best player. DO you think he needs to defer to JM, Bib, and Marvin more or just step up his game and become more dangerous? If you could give JJ any advice on this upcoming season what what it be?

Edited by Wurider05

My advice would be..."dont get injured" lol I would like to see JJ post up more, he's probably the biggest 2guard in the league, I think he could be nasty down there

"For us to take it to another level"... Ehhh, I don't know if JJ can really do much more than what he's been doing the past year and a half. Just continue to work hard and stay healthy, I guess.

I see it as more of a What can Woodson do that will bring this team to another level, not what can JJ do.

I think his calf was tore up for the first half of the season so his overall numbers/contributions weren't what you'd expect. The last month and a half he was a superstar though.

Sometimes I'd like to see him play more in the team concept. I think that may have something to do with a) the lack of shooters and b) the lack of movement in our halfcourt sets though. Sometimes he'll get the ball with and open shot and instead of taking it he puts it on the floor and waits for his defender to come and then shoots off the dribble.

I'd like to see him be a little more expressive as a leader, would be nice to see the team take their cues from him. Or at least have a happier face on and try and pump the younger guys up. Thats just not who he is though, he's silent/deadly.

Edited by crimedog

I'd like to see him be a little more expressive as a leader, would be nice to see the team take their cues from him. Or at least have a happier face on and try and pump the younger guys up. Thats just not who he is though, he's silent/deadly.

I agree. Maybe it's not in his personality, but that doesn't mean the other guys couldn't use a little talking too sometimes. I'd like to see some hustle in and out of timeouts too. He really takes his time walking to the bench, like he's trying to be cool and have some swagger.

Maybe he'd be good in some catch and shoot situations... running of baseline screens a la Rip Hamilton. Maybe get some easy points that way, instead of going one on five.

Like someone mentioned before, I'd like to see some post up situations too, he'll have the size advantage on a lot of his defenders.

• Premium Member
"For us to take it to another level"... Ehhh, I don't know if JJ can really do much more than what he's been doing the past year and a half. Just continue to work hard and stay healthy, I guess.

I see it as more of a What can Woodson do that will bring this team to another level, not what can JJ do.

I agree completely. We know what JJ can do. It really is going to depend upon what the team does around him. For us to get to another level, somebody has to be able to produce in the clutch consistently. More importantly, we need a better offensive scheme. If Woodson isn't the problem, then we need the players to drink the Kool-aid he's pouring.

Personally, I have no faith in Mike Woodson. None. I hope I'm wrong. I hope that somehow Woodson will be able to produce with this team the way 2nd and 3rd year players find their niche. Maybe he just needed time and a real PG.

Or maybe an assistant coach on defense is as high as his ceiling goes.

Edited by Wretch

Yeah, I would like to see him play maybe a minute or two less this year. He's shown he can handle the workload but I would love for him to be fresh at the end of games rather than running on fumes.

Also, hopefully he will be able to continue his hot shooting from behind the arc with Bibby now with for a full season. Keep runninng that two man game that work so well down the stretch.

If we are going to take it to another level what should we expect from JJ our team leader and best player. DO you think he needs to defer to JM, Bib, and Marvin more or just step up his game and become more dangerous? If you could give JJ any advice on this upcoming season what what it be?

Trust your teammates. JJ has to believe (just like Jordan had to learn) that his teammates WILL make the play more often than not if he just makes the right basketball play. He doesn't ALWAYS have to force up a shot at the end of the clock, sometimes, drawing the double team and letting a teammate take the open shot is the better option.

I think JJ should keep his "Silent Assassin" persona because that is who he is. It would certainly be nice to see some emotion from him at times (as in the BOS series) but he doesn't have to become a vocal leader in order for us to be successful. I see Horford taking on that role in very short order (with a little assistance from Smoove and Marvin).

JJ has to hit his wide open shots, he missed so many of them last year that they probably brought his scoring average down a point or too.

stop being careless with the ball at times. too many times he loses the ball without pressure.

don't settle for fade away jumpers.

move more quickly. take it to the defense before they can lock on him, sometimes he dribbles too much, just go to the hole.

and in my opinion the most important thing he could do is exert himself as the best player on the court at all times, the way superstars do. kobe doesn't disappear during the game, JJ shouldn't either.

I think this about the guys around him doing a little bit more that will open up opportunites for him. If he gets the double team, Bibby has to find someone else. Having a shooter will space the floor, Al should have a few more inside moves, Marvin working on his three pointer. If these things happen it will open up the game for JJ.

I think this about the guys around him doing a little bit more that will open up opportunites for him. If he gets the double team, Bibby has to find someone else. Having a shooter will space the floor, Al should have a few more inside moves, Marvin working on his three pointer. If these things happen it will open up the game for JJ.

Yeah, I think finding the right fit will be good for everybody. With Bibby on board, hopefully we can run more plays for Josh and Al (our other pgs have never been able to throw and entry pass). That will get us some more inside buckets and have the advantage of not running every possession through JJ. When Joe does get the ball, having Evans and Bibby (and hopefully Marv) ready to nail a 3 can't do anything but help.

The defense has had our non-existant playbook and know what we're going to do. That means it's up to JJ do use his skills to get past the defense. That only works so many times. Woody needs to have some balance to the offense and that would help take some of the stress of JJ.

What are these "plays" you speak of?

Ha, touche'.

Man, it might be useful to bring in a "consultant" or something for training camp... an offensive coordinator or something. Maybe someone that worked with Bibby in Sacto or someone from D'Antoni's staff who wasn't brought back (Gentry maybe?).