• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Phelps

Swish

Michael Phelps  

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you think Michael Phelps can pull this off? I think the physical toll this is taking is going to be too much. He swims over six miles a day and races against the best swimmers in the world. I just don't see this realistically happening. If so, however, he becomes in my mind the best individual athlete in the world. Stop and think for a second about his winnings. Absolutely insane.

I believe he can and will pull it off.

I voted "no" on the greatest athlete as I don't think its the proper question. Is he the best endurence athlete? Proabably so. Is he the best team sports athlete, can't say as there is no data. Is he the best with hand-eye cordination, there is no data.

I just find comparing sports like swimming, cycling, and running with team-ball oriented sports to be an apples to oranges comparison. There just isn't enough cross-similarities to make those determinations.

I think Lance Armstrong said it best. To paraphrase very loosely:

I sucked in ball sports as I can't through straight and I don't run all that fast, but you put in a sport where endurance counts and I can win.

Let me try this:

Best team sport athlete- LeBron James, dude is a beast

Best endurence- Phelps, though Alberto Contador is one hell of a cyclist

Track and field- let's see when the T/F events begin. The winner of the decathelon should get this crown.

Really? Why not? Its an interesting discussion, really. I think Federer has been stunning but is falling off. Tiger is just the man. Armstrong had some brilliance but is under scrutiny. I think guys like Kobe and LT at least deserve to be in the discussion, no?

Wow. He is the definition of a freak. Dolfan is right, he absolutely blew away the Aussie on his leg. The probability of this achievement is about the same as us winning the NBA title. Good grief. Someone needs to start a thread of greatest atheletes of all time.