• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Training Camp 2008 - Day 3 Report, Hawks.com

Cwell

http://hawks.portspaces.com/post/hawksbask...y_3_report.html

click the link to see pics of practice.

Wednesday saw the Hawks put on a full scrimmage for the first time in training camp. Unlike the running clock scrimmages of the first couple days, today's action featured officials, free throws - pretty much your standard game atmosphere.

I don't want to put too much emphasis on what I saw today, because there is a long way to go, and it's much easier to look good on the practice court than in the heat of regular season battle - but I gotta say, I saw a lot to like. Let's get right to it:

- Marvin Williams was 2-2 from long range during the scrimmage. That's a tiny, miniscule little sample size - but the fact that he took them without hesitation is what made me happy. That he made them was gravy; I'd still be happy if he'd gone 0-2. But both shots came in the rhythm of the offense and with no added effort for Marv, who we all know spent his summer working on the three-ball. This is one component of the offense I know a lot of fans are anxious to see, and I'm happy to say so far, so good.

- Josh Smith was an animal today. He was aggressive going to the hole and getting rebounds, and he must have gone to the free throw line 6-7 times at least. One play stood out in particular that I hope is a sign of things to come - with the shot clock winding down and Smoove out on the perimeter, he initially went into a shooting motion, then thought better of it and took it to the rim for a lay-up. The more shots he takes inside, the better off we'll be.

- Solomon Jones' offense impressed today. I mentioned yesterday that I thought his offensive production would go a long way towards determining his minutes this year, and today he looked more confident on offense than I've ever seen. I asked him about it after practice today, and he said he spent all summer working on his game. I know most guys say that, but it looked today as if it were true. He scored on several different offensive maneuvers, moving with purpose and finishing with a soft touch around the rim.

- Man, Mike Bibby looks good. I think that was probably the thing I heard the most from people watching today. He was on fire from the field, hitting seemingly every jumper he took, and directed the offense with ease. I am prone to hyperbole - I know this - but I am telling you, if this is the Mike Bibby that plays for the Hawks this season, we are going to surprise some folks.

- Othello Hunter, who is chronicling his training camp experiences for us, also looked good today. He didn't do too much that would show up on a stat sheet, but he got up and down the court with pace, and corralled one rebound so high it made a few of us turn and look at each other with a "did-you-see-that?" expression on our faces. He's worth keeping an eye on.

- The word of the day for Mario West was attack. Man, I would hate guarding that guy. It seemed like every time he got the ball today, he was barreling into the lane come hell or high water. His energy and tenacity are what got him on this team in the first place, and he shows no sign of changing anytime soon.

Edited by Cwell

It is intriguing to think if you take all of these improvements, some of which are not that great, but you add them all up it could make a HUGE difference. Maybe I'm optimistic, but it sure sounds tantalizing.

One of the things that everyone always talks about is how making it to the playoffs is in effect an initiation to getting better. Got to go through that to understand the next level. Hope we are getting it.

You're just looking at his arms, biceps take forever to bulk up enough to notice in a picture

that's a bad angle as well. he doesn't look like a stick figure. I'd like to see his arms extended to see if his tris have caught up to the inside of his elbow.

You're just looking at his arms, biceps take forever to bulk up enough to notice in a picture

that's a bad angle as well. he doesn't look like a stick figure. I'd like to see his arms extended to see if his tris have caught up to the inside of his elbow.

I'm not just looking at his arms and regardless there's no way that he put on 25 lbs of muscle in his arms. His legs still look thin to me and so does his waist. His chest doesn't really look any bigger either. I hope he has put on 25 lbs of muscle, but I'm skeptical based on the photos I have seen thus far.