• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks@Suns GameThread

PureGreatness

Marvin took 5 three pointers?! Wow that is a big deal to me even though it is only preseason. The fact that he is making them is nice but the main issue for me is that he actually takes them consistently. I want to see him average at least 2 attempts a game from 3 during the season.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.azcentral.com/commphotos/azcentral/8238/29/29

Pics from the game

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Marvin took 5 three pointers?! Wow that is a big deal to me even though it is only preseason. The fact that he is making them is nice but the main issue for me is that he actually takes them consistently. I want to see him average at least 2 attempts a game from 3 during the season.

It is a great thing to see, finally. Hollinger's preview says it all:

Only one small forward took fewer 3-pointers per field-goal attempt than Williams, and only seven had a higher rate of free-throw attempts per field-goal attempt. Based on those numbers you'd think he was a lumbering post player, but he's a jump shooter. Really, I swear.

In fact, nearly half of his attempts were long 2-pointers, and only three players in all of basketball -- Kobe Bryant, Tracy McGrady and Travis Outlaw -- took more long 2s than Williams. He made a healthy 45.4 percent of them, the best mark of any player in the top 10 in attempts, and only Portland's Outlaw had a greater proportion of his attempts come from this distance.

Not extending his range has been the second most frustrating thing to see from him for this Marvin fan. The first has been his overall lack of aggression compared to his college days.

I'm not sure what to think about it, but this could be the final nail in the coffin of Marvin becoming a strictly perimeter oriented player who occasionally mixes it up inside.

The potential good news - if he can become a really dependable 3 point shooter, his entire value to our team changes dramatically in a way that definitely translates to more Ws. Increased point production and better spacing of the floor, as well as directly addressing one of our team's biggest weaknesses.

The potential bad news - I really hope it doesn't lead to him standing in place more than he already does.

I REALLY wish we could watch these games to see how these shots have been coming in the flow of the offense.

I hope Marvin can shoot threes decently this year. Let's be realistic...if you can hit long twos you may as well shoot some threes. Let's say you go 2 for 6 shooting long twos - you are basically hurting the team. On the other hand, if you go 2 for 6 on threes you are shooting 50% (based on a 2-point per shot approach)...you made 6 points on 6 shots.

I hope Marvin can shoot threes decently this year. Let's be realistic...if you can hit long twos you may as well shoot some threes. Let's say you go 2 for 6 shooting long twos - you are basically hurting the team. On the other hand, if you go 2 for 6 on threes you are shooting 50% (based on a 2-point per shot approach)...you made 6 points on 6 shots.

To quote the dude from Lenox financial, its the biggest no brainer in the history of earth.

Another point: Long 2s are just as dangerous as 3s are in creating transition opportunities for the opposing team. So go ahead and make it worth it by taking the one that gets you 150% of the points in return that the other does if you make the shot.

Edited by thesheedera

yuck, anyone look at the shot chart for Josh?

5 for 5 at the hoop and 1 for 5 from the field.

That's actually quite amazing for JS - he could always dunk - but his finesse around the hoop has definitely improved. used to be (ask ex) he couldn't hit the side of a barn off the glass.

• Premium Member
Thanks PB - we all need to be corrected now and then.

P.S. - How's your hero BK doing? :tease:

No it just that Bibby is the one that is 2 out of 9 from 3 point land this pre-season which of course goes unnoticed because the focus is always on Marvin.

That's actually quite amazing for JS - he could always dunk - but his finesse around the hoop has definitely improved. used to be (ask ex) he couldn't hit the side of a barn off the glass.

He really only improved on that last season it seemed. He was fairly accurate in his non-dunk stuff around the hoop on the season and he was absolutely horrible in the first month of the season.

I think he got comfortable with the Hakeem stuff around December.

No it just that Bibby is the one that is 2 out of 9 from 3 point land this pre-season which of course goes unnoticed because the focus is always on Marvin.

OK - I totally agree - I just thought you were correcting my spelling...no offense meant.

I really am a bit concerned about Bibby. I hope he gets his shot together. PG is a continuos problem for this team.

OK - I totally agree - I just thought you were correcting my spelling...no offense meant.

I really am a bit concerned about Bibby. I hope he gets his shot together. PG is a continuos problem for this team.

I think we are seeing a lot of what we are going to get from Bibby from a shooting standpoint. He has a great looking shot but he can run hot and cold. If you all remember, one of the SAC fans said following the trade that Bibby will have a lot of HORRIBLE shooting games but he will also have some games where he can't miss. I think that is what we will get from him on the season. The key is that when he is having a bad shooting game, he needs to recognize it and get the other players easier shots. If he can do that, I can live with his streaky shooting. If he can't, he will be a liability because of his D.