25 min, 13 pts (5-6 2fg, 1-3 3fg), 6 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl, 1 to, 2 fl

11/23/08 Olympiacos (6-0) @ Panathinaikos (5-1) 69-86:

25 min, 11 pts (4-7 2fg, 0-1 3fg, 3-4 ft), 2 reb, 2 to, 2 blk, 3 fl

11/27/08 Olympiacos (3-1) @ Le Mans (0-4) 98-93:

24 min, 8 pts (4-8 2fg), 2 reb, 1 fl

11/30/08 Kolossos (3-4) @ Olympiacos (6-1) 50-84:

27 min, 24 pts (7-8 2fg, 2-4 3fg, 4-6 ft), 6 reb, 2 ast, 2 stl, 1 to, 2 blk

November average:

25.0 min, 10.8 pts, 55.1% 2fg, 33.3% 3fg, 68.0% ft, 3.9 reb, 0.9 ast, 0.9 stl, 1.9 to, 0.8 blk, 1.5 fl

Greek League average:

24.6 min, 15.0 pts, 70.9% 2fg, 28.6% 3fg, 81.1% ft, 3.8 reb, 0.6 ast, 1.4 stl, 1.5 to, 1.0 blk, 1.4 fl

Euroleague average:

27.4 min, 9.8 pts, 50.0% 2fg, 14.3% 3fg, 52.6% ft, 4.8 reb, 1.0 ast, 0.6 stl, 2.8 to, 1.0 blk, 1.2 fl

Total average:

25.7 min, 13.0 pts, 62.6% 2fg, 23.8% 3fg, 71.4% ft, 4.2 reb, 0.8 ast, 1.1 stl, 2.0 to, 1.0 blk, 1.3 fl

• Moderators
Childress' November:

11/02/08 P.A.O.K. (1-2) @ Olympiacos (3-0) 71-80:

20 min, 7 pts (2-7 2fg, 3-4 ft), 3 reb, 2 stl, 2 to

11/06/08 Olympiacos (2-0) @ Cibona (2-0) 76-85:

34 min, 8 pts (3-6 2fg, 0-3 3fg, 2-5 ft), 5 reb, 3 ast, 1 to, 2 fl

11/09/08 Olympiacos (4-0) @ Kavala (0-1) 82-51:

22 min, 11 pts (2-3 2fg, 1-2 3fg, 4-4 ft), 2 reb, 2 stl, 3 to, 1 blk, 2 fl

11/13/08 Maccabi (2-1) @ Olympiacos (2-1) 65-84:

23 min, 4 pts (0-4 2fg, 1-2 3fg, 1-2 ft), 5 reb, 5 to, 1 blk, 2 fl

11/16/08 AEK (2-3) @ Olympiacos (5-0) 84-101:

25 min, 13 pts (5-6 2fg, 1-3 3fg), 6 reb, 2 ast, 1 stl, 1 to, 2 fl

11/23/08 Olympiacos (6-0) @ Panathinaikos (5-1) 69-86:

25 min, 11 pts (4-7 2fg, 0-1 3fg, 3-4 ft), 2 reb, 2 to, 2 blk, 3 fl

11/27/08 Olympiacos (3-1) @ Le Mans (0-4) 98-93:

24 min, 8 pts (4-8 2fg), 2 reb, 1 fl

11/30/08 Kolossos (3-4) @ Olympiacos (6-1) 50-84:

27 min, 24 pts (7-8 2fg, 2-4 3fg, 4-6 ft), 6 reb, 2 ast, 2 stl, 1 to, 2 blk

November average:

25.0 min, 10.8 pts, 55.1% 2fg, 33.3% 3fg, 68.0% ft, 3.9 reb, 0.9 ast, 0.9 stl, 1.9 to, 0.8 blk, 1.5 fl

Greek League average:

24.6 min, 15.0 pts, 70.9% 2fg, 28.6% 3fg, 81.1% ft, 3.8 reb, 0.6 ast, 1.4 stl, 1.5 to, 1.0 blk, 1.4 fl

Euroleague average:

27.4 min, 9.8 pts, 50.0% 2fg, 14.3% 3fg, 52.6% ft, 4.8 reb, 1.0 ast, 0.6 stl, 2.8 to, 1.0 blk, 1.2 fl

Total average:

25.7 min, 13.0 pts, 62.6% 2fg, 23.8% 3fg, 71.4% ft, 4.2 reb, 0.8 ast, 1.1 stl, 2.0 to, 1.0 blk, 1.3 fl

Thanks for the summary totals in the updates!

• Premium Member
Well I am no expert on Euroleague but looking at their statistics it appears to be more strict on giving away assists.

They are. Hollinger has studied the way that various 'box score' stats translate from Euroleague to the NBA:

ESPN

There's a very predictable relationship between a player's stats in Europe and what they'll be in the NBA, one that shows surprisingly little variation between players. Those who make the jump from the Euroleague (the highest level of European basketball) to the NBA can expect the following:

• their scoring rate to decrease by 25 percent;

• their rebound rate to increase by 18 percent (there are more missed shots to grab over here);

• their assist rate to increase by 31 percent (their scorers are stingy on assists);

• their shooting percentage to drop by 12 percent; and

• overall, their PER drops by 30 percent.

There is a total of 1599 turnovers with 1450 assists for all 24 teams. That is through 60 total league games so far. So the league has a .9068 assist to turnover ratio. The NBA in contrast:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2009.html

A total of 7372 turnovers with 10291 assists for all 32 teams. That is through 251 games so far. So the league has a 1.3960 assist to turnover ratio. There is a big difference in the NBA and the Euroleague so it isn't an apples to apples comparison when looking at these numbers.

Assists in Europe are not counted the same way as in NBA. In Europe only pass after which player scores without dribble counts as assist.

those songs have probably been song for generations. sorta like how we sing "take me out to the ballgame" at baseball games. also i think that's the official song for the club which would mean they sing the same one at soccer games.

however, i would really like to know how childress' team is doing with all of the rioting that's going on in athens right now. looking at the live video from today it doesn't look like this thing isn't ending anytime soon. the government sounds more screwed up than W's.

if they don't get things settled out there you have to thing that childress is going to want to go back to the safety of America.

• Moderators
those songs have probably been song for generations. sorta like how we sing "take me out to the ballgame" at baseball games. also i think that's the official song for the club which would mean they sing the same one at soccer games.

Very true. I am just surprised that teams haven't tried to get beyond chants (like the Tomohawk chop) and have gone for people dressed up like Gorillas and Leprachan's shooting T-shirts from cannons before they go for crowd songs, etc. to raise morale.

I'll never forget the Hawks/Kings game I went to when they had Divac and Stojakovich and a big group of Serbs in the upper level were as loud as I've ever heard any fans in Phillips. All the lethargic hawk fans were just staring at them like what the hell is wrong w/ these crazy people.

Just to keep this in the same Chill thread, he recently answered a ton of user-submitted questions over at Dime Mag. Somewhat interesting.

http://dimemag.com/2008/12/post-up-josh-ch...your-questions/

We sent Josh Childress all of your questions, and this is what he came back with …

1. Jeffrey says:

Did you have to change your playing styles in Europe?

I haven’t had to change my playing style. I just have to get used to a slower paced game. There is much less one on one and much more emphasis on half court offense. So my mindset has to shift more towards that.

2. Mikey says:

I just read a note that stated and estimated 60-95 percent of NBA players are depressed.

Josh, did you ever suffer from depression in the NBA? Did you notice it in teammates? Is it similar in Greece (it’s hard to imagine someone being depressed in some place so beautiful)?

Well I wouldn’t say I was depressed. Sometimes, athletes put so much pressure on themselves to perform well. Then when they have a bad game, or are in a slump, they tend to get down just like any other human being would if they weren’t doing well. I never noticed it in teammates. Everyone handles their problems differently.

3. Daniel L says:

Hey Josh,

Now that you’ve played in the league and overseas, what do you think is biggest difference in the basketball style? How do the skill level, athleticism and rules effect you?

I think the biggest difference in the style is the one-on-one game. The NBA style puts more emphasis on that. The European game is a little more about tactics. The skill level is still pretty high here. As I’m sure you know, everyone can shoot the ball pretty well. Also, something that’s interesting is that every country has its own style. Greece has more of a slow, grind out game, whereas Spain is very up-tempo. Croatian teams play differently than Italian, Israeli, and other countries. Although players are less athletic, they have learned how to be effective without being able to jump out of the gym. There are a lot of really good players here. The rules have affected me a little. I have gotten a few traveling calls and also had a few of my baskets hit out of the rim.

4. Zach says:

How is life over there? Are you hounded in the streets for autographs and stuff or do you kinda just go about your business and everyone else does the same?

Life is pretty cool over here. It’s different though. Its tough to explain, but its just different. Everything closes early; nothing is open on Sunday, and normal things like internet repair takes at least a week or two! Its somewhat more laid back, which is cool, but it sucks when you need something fixed. The athletes in Greece are treated very similarly to actors or actresses in America. If we go to a club, it will hit all the gossip papers. It makes having a social life pretty tough.

5. mavid says:

Chilly, as a hardcore Atlanta fan that really liked and respected what you brought to the floor, I ask this: Is your relationship with the Hawks beyond repair? Can you see yourself coming back under any circumstances? We miss you man! (also, how you liking your boy Marvin´s new 3-point range??)

I wouldn’t say the relationship is beyond repair. I don’t dislike anyone in the Hawks organization. It just came down to me making a decision to do what was best for me and not for them. I can definitely see myself coming back if they want me to. However, I will make sure I weigh my options and try to make a good decision.

As for my man Marv, he could always shoot the 3 ball. He just never chose to. I’m glad to see him shooting it though. He is an excellent shooter.

6. N-Truh-Kit says:

In all honesty…now that you have been balling over seas for a couple months, are you enjoying it more than in the NBA and if so would you rather stay over there than come back?

There are definitely things I miss for sure. I think I got spoiled a little bit playing in the NBA. At the end of the day, I miss my family and friends the most. I have no idea what I will do after this season. It’s a bit too early to decide. Ask me again in a few months!

7. JCARR says:

Josh, do you feel that your game has improved while playing in Europe? How do you feel about the competition over there and do you ever think about coming back to the NBA?

I feel like my game is improving. It’s tough because I feel like I’m taking a step back in order to move forward. I feel like I will be a better player in the end though. The competition has been very good so far. There are some teams that we blow out, but then there are some really tough games.

8. Three Stacks says:

J-Chill, I’m a big fan. Hope you’re doing well overseas.

Is your transfer to the Euroleague something permanent? Or would you consider coming back to the NBA?

Also, is it hard to find Afro picks in Greece?

And what was your SAT score outta high school? Was it up to the standards of Stanford, or did they overlook a few points because of your balling ability?

I have no clue how long I will be here my man. I like the Euroleague but I also liked playing in the NBA.

As for the Afro picks, I made sure I brought plenty with me. I knew there weren’t any of those in Greece. It was hard enough finding clipper to shave with!

9. mike says:

Who is the best player you’ve played against? Is there a dominant superstar in Euroleague?

The best player I have ever played against is Michael Jordan (big surprise). I worked his flight school camp in Santa Barbara for 2 summers and played in the pickup games at night. He is a beast. There really isn’t a dominant superstar in Euroleague.

10. Big Sia says:

Joshua,

Would you consider coming back to the NBA after a tenure at the Euroleague? Would you put the Hawks at the top of your list?

I would definitely consider coming back. I will weigh my options and try to see which one is best for my career. As of now, I am still under contract with the Hawks, so regardless of if they are at the top of my list, they have my rights. So it’s really up to them.

11. bigdoggchad says:

Would you advice other NBA players to go play overseas when they are still in there prime like you have? We have had plenty of NBA players go over there at the end of there careers.

I wouldn’t advise everyone. It’s a huge adjustment to come play here. I felt like it would be an easy adjustment and I was wrong. It takes time and patience. I am lucky I am in a pretty good country. I have heard horror stories about some of the other countries.

12. doc says:

Are you winning MVP in that league you in?

Well we are in 2 leagues: Greek and Euroleague. That’s definitely my goal in both leagues, but it all depends on if your team wins. We are 8-1 in the Greek league and 5-2 in Euroleague. We have a loooooooong way to go. I’m sure some good performances later in the season will help me get that trophy.

13. quick wit it says:

is making it rain euros equally as exciting as making it rain dollars?

were you hazed at all entering on to that new team? or did you dunk all over someone in the first day of practice and its been smooth sailing since?

Hahahahahahahahaha. If I were to try and make it rain in Euros I would hurt someone. There are no $1 bills. Only coins. I don’t think someone would want coins dropping on their head! I wasn’t hazed at all. We have 11 new players on the team. So hazing would have been a little tough.

14. GEE…Intellectual Violence says:

Josh what up!?

Out of everything you can think of, what do you miss the most about America?

What’s up??? The thing I miss the most is American breakfast!!!!! I could really go for a waffle and eggs with turkey bacon. Man that sounds good!

15. Don Mega says:

hey brah , i know you do those tech columns for Slam ..

who else in the league do you talk about that sort of stuff with ? i know CB4 keeps it real with all the newest Mac products . do you upgrade your kit often ?

One guy who knows a lot about tech stuff is Samuel Dalembert from the Sixers. I chatted with him when we went to Africa for the NBA Cares trip. He was very knowledgeable. I really don’t upgrade my stuff too often anymore. There is only 1 place in Greece that sells stuff for Mac and it’s not an Apple store. So I will have to wait till I come home.

16. chronically_ill says:

What do you think of Brandon Jennings? Do you think more NBA players will follow your path in the future? How many more years do you think will it take until the Euroleague is completely on par with the NBA? Is it common to see people playing ball in the streets? If so, how good is the talent there? I’ve heard the Euroleague has some crazy ass fans. Any wild stories from the road?

I think Brandon is really good. He played on the same AAU team that I used to play for so I have seen him for a while. I honestly don’t know how many guys will come over. My guess is that guys will think about it, but end up staying. I can’t really put a time frame on how long it will take for the leagues to be on the same level. It could happen sooner than people think though. You don’t see a ton of people playing hoops. Soccer is still the biggest sport over here! As for the fans, the Euroleague has been pretty tame. Greek league is another story.

17. Amsterdam says:

Josh,

How are those Greek fans? Are they really that fanatic/crazy as I’ve heard? What’s the atmosphere in the stadiums during games, better or worse compared to the NBA?

The Greek fans are CRAZY!!! I heard that it would be different than any other atmosphere I have played in when we played our big rivals, but I didn’t know how different. When we hit the court to warm up, we had bottles of water, coffee, gyros, cell phones, lighters, and other crap thrown at us. You hear loud booms in the air, which were M80 firecrackers. Then we started stretching and I look up and see this green ball coming down to the court. It was a flare! The same flare you see people shoot on TV when they need to be rescued from an island or a boat. It was crazy. Plus the game hadn’t even started yet!!! The game stopped like 5 or 6 times because the fans had laser pointers and were flashing them in our face while we were shooting free throws in addition to them throwing crap at us.

18. SteveNash says:

how would you sell playing for your team to Lebron and Kobe assuming they get PAID!!!

Well I would be honest with them. Whatever questions they had for me I would answer. I don’t think I would have to sell making that kind of money.

19. jl90 says:

hey josh, i lived in greece for four years and i hope you love the country. i was wondering what you thought of the greek food and the basketball culture there?

Well so far I have found the food to be really good. I expected it to be nasty, but it’s normal and really tasty. Basketball culture is pretty cool. People are die-hard fans.

20. haslem says:

hey, i was wondering, knowing athens pretty well I was wondering what areas do you like?

what do you think about the olympiakos-Pao rivarly.

have u gone to any random courts to play some greek dudes?

I like the Glyfada and Kolonaki areas the most. They are pretty cool. I haven’t had much time to do a whole lot in the city. I think the rivalry is a bit too crazy. People killing other people because of the team they support is just taking it too far.

21. bookkwormmaster@yahoo.com says:

Hey Josh,

1st off I wanna say I am a diehard Hawks fan and you were my favorite player on that team (my game is a mixed pattern of you and Tony Parker) and I was whole-heartedly upset that they didn’t show you the love and respect that you not only deserved but damn well earned. I think had they shown you that you would be back with the team and helping us kick ass and take names in the league, money be damned. With that said I have to ask you would you consider a return to the Hawks after the season? and if not this season then after your contract overseas is up?

Well thanks my man. I appreciate the love. I am definitely open to coming back to Atlanta after the season. I loved the city and the fans. However, it’s not completely my decision. So once the season is over here, I will make my choice.

22. ninja cool says:

Hi Josh,

Who in the league do you want to posterize very badly?

There is no one I really want to posterize in the league. I have had my fair share of dunking on people in my 4 years with Atlanta.

23. Diego says:

Cheetah or Pink Pony?

I don’t go to places like that! Hahahaha. Nah I would say Cheetah. The restaurant is excellent!