• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why didn't Bibby or Zaza play?

JJFAN4LF

New additions

By Sekou K Smith | Friday, October 10, 2008, 09:05 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

KANSAS CITY - Before anyone goes into panic mode about the whereabouts of Mike Bibby and Zaza Pachulia, they have excused absences from tonight’s game here between the Hawks and Portland Trail Blazers.

Bibby and Pachulia welcomed newborns to their respective families this week and were allowed to take a few days to tend to the personal matters that come along with new additions to the fold.

As for the appearance of Dalibor Bagaric’s name to the team roster at Hawks.com, either someone over there got their wires crossed or someone from Croatia has hacked into the system and is playing a wicked prank on the big fella. Because I was just informed by Hawks spokesman Arthur Triche that Bagaric will not be joining the roster (this is the time teams cut down not add players right?) now or anytime in the near future.

I know Bagaric’s name has been tossed around here since the summer, and other than a few appearances on the Hawks’ practice court during some summer pickup games, I haven’t seen anything to suggest that Bagaric had anything to do with the Hawks (other than a pipe dream to play in the NBA for a team always on the lookout for some size at the center position).

Oden’s going to be the truth if he can stay healthy, because he’s not only an absolute behemoth, he’s also smart, has good instincts, is a crafty passer and seems to be as serious as anybody out here about getting his job done.

He’s still got major work to do (he’s a bit impatient on offense and when he wants to get to a spot he likes he’ll plow over guy instead of working to get around him (he already has three fouls and we’re three minutes from halftime). But that’ll come in time.

Acie Law IV continues to shine this preseason, looking as smooth as ever in place of Bibby in the starting lineup tonight. So far he’s been the revelation of this preseason for the Hawks. Everyone was wondering about him going into this season, and he appears to be answering all those questions with his play.

• Premium Member
Acie Law IV continues to shine this preseason, looking as smooth as ever in place of Bibby in the starting lineup tonight. So far he’s been the revelation of this preseason for the Hawks. Everyone was wondering about him going into this season, and he appears to be answering all those questions with his play.

If this and Marvin's aggressiveness from the perimeter continues, the Hawks' only real question mark will be their lack of a true center.

After the scrimmage on Sat. and practice was announced over, Marvin was shooting at one end....and draining some 3's. That would be soo awesome if he could pull-it-off in some games this season.

My HUGE concern without the baseline bum is going to be friggin rebounds. It seems like Childress was the guy actually husslin for the ball off the board when everybody else was already back across half-court.

After the scrimmage on Sat. and practice was announced over, Marvin was shooting at one end....and draining some 3's. That would be soo awesome if he could pull-it-off in some games this season.

My HUGE concern without the baseline bum is going to be friggin rebounds. It seems like Childress was the guy actually husslin for the ball off the board when everybody else was already back across half-court.

it was the exact opposite on defense. people would be trying to get the defensive rebound and Childress always ran down the court instead of making sure we secured the ball.

I meant offensive rebounds.

47% of his total rebounds last year were offensive.

Team Leader Al Horford 32% of total ... Josh Smith 24%...Marvin Williams 26% and 4th place rebounder Josh Childress...almost half.

Horford was the only guy on the team that had more offensive rebounds than chillz -