• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Top 10 Second Year players

gsuteke

Sophomore slump? These 10 should soar instead

By David Thorpe

ESPN.com

The future is bright in Oklahoma City thanks to Jeff Green and Kevin Durant.

How will last season's rookies perform in Year 2? Here's my list of the top 10 sophomores to watch:

1. Kevin Durant

I'm not expecting Durant's scoring numbers to jump nearly as much as his overall efficiency and productivity. Yes, he could average close to 25 points per game -- which would be impressive -- but doing so while rebounding better, defending with more purpose and getting more buckets inside the paint will establish Durant as a true future star. Building on this past April's play would be a good start.

2. Al Horford

As a basketball player, Horford looks like he's 22 going on 30. Showing polish and poise, he shocked nobody when he averaged a double-double against the Celtics in the playoffs. And he still can improve a great deal as a scorer. Late touches in the shot clock could be in store for him this season, and an improved jumper means he can space the floor better for Atlanta's slashers.

3. Luis Scola

No team showed more heart and grit than Houston did in its seven-game series against Utah. And Scola was a big factor in that effort. His numbers never tell the whole story; he truly is one of the game's best "team guys" -- his spirit infects those around him. However, his playing time could be affected if Houston goes small and plays Ron Artest inside.

4. Al Thornton

With the Clippers' roster changes and injuries, Thornton might give Durant a run for the sophomore scoring title. He progressed nicely last season and has the three tools I love to see in players -- shooting skill, terrific athleticism and a huge motor that he uses every night. However, he does need to drive more and take fewer jump shots.

5. Rodney Stuckey

This might be too high on the list for a non-starter, but Stuckey performed so well in the playoffs and summer league that he should see major minutes on a team that needs young legs. He can help the Pistons on both sides of the court but needs to add consistency to his perimeter jumper to reach the next level of his development.

6. Thaddeus Young

Young's athleticism and feel for the game are so much fun to watch; he's truly a natural out on the court. Moving to the small-forward spot full time will force him to be more focused on what made him so good last season -- mixing his inside game alongside his perimeter one. He took 54 percent of his shots near the rim and should aim for a 50-50 balance again this season.

7. Mike Conley

Going into the offseason, Conley knew he had to improve his jumper to be a more balanced offensive player. Indications are that he indeed has gotten better as a shooter, although there is little doubt he will have to prove it over and over again as the season begins. Conley's overall effectiveness should be greatly enhanced this season as a full-time starter. He teams with O.J. Mayo and Rudy Gay to form an incredibly active perimeter trio.

8. Carl Landry

Landry likely would be higher on this list were it not for the glut of talent around him in the Rockets' frontcourt. He's a do-it-all type of scorer, and despite being labeled as "undersized" for his position, he attempted to dunk on 26 percent of his field goal attempts. (Dwight Howard was at 30 percent.) Landry also personifies -- alongside fellow soph Scola -- a unique brand of incredible toughness within 6 feet of the rim on both sides of the ball.

9. Jeff Green

The Thunder might see improvement only if Green makes a big jump in production. He settled for far too many outside shots last season with too few makes (similar to Durant). But he finished the season strong and occasionally dominated Orlando's summer league in July. The talent is there. He'd be better served by focusing on defense and rebounding, though, where he has the ability and agility to be excellent.

10. Julian Wright

As I stated at the end of last season, no rookie improved more during the season than Wright. He's not someone who is going to put up huge numbers, maybe ever, but his presence is felt nonetheless. And if Wright somehow can provide more production as a scorer/rebounder and on defense, he could be the catalyst (along with James Posey) the Hornets need to push through into the Finals.

David Thorpe is an NBA analyst for ESPN.com and the executive director of the Pro Training Center at the IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla., where he oversees the player development program for NBA and college players. To e-mail him, click here.

8. Carl Landry

Landry likely would be higher on this list were it not for the glut of talent around him in the Rockets' frontcourt. He's a do-it-all type of scorer, and despite being labeled as "undersized" for his position, he attempted to dunk on 26 percent of his field goal attempts. (Dwight Howard was at 30 percent.) Landry also personifies -- alongside fellow soph Scola -- a unique brand of incredible toughness within 6 feet of the rim on both sides of the ball.

Im still not sure why teams didnt go after him harder in the offseason (including us). Houston got him for like 3-4 mill a year, which is a bargain IMO. Dude plays nasty and is an effective big.

A center rotation of him and Horf wouldve been dope.

Im still not sure why teams didnt go after him harder in the offseason (including us). Houston got him for like 3-4 mill a year, which is a bargain IMO. Dude plays nasty and is an effective big.

A center rotation of him and Horf wouldve been dope.

Probably because there were major concerns about his knee this offseason, which some people thought was just a dirty tactic of the Rockets to try and keep him on the cheap, but I don't believe that they would do that since they are typically a pretty classy organization.

I agree it would be sweet to see him and Horford out there banging around in the paint at the same time.

Probably because there were major concerns about his knee this offseason, which some people thought was just a dirty tactic of the Rockets to try and keep him on the cheap, but I don't believe that they would do that since they are typically a pretty classy organization.

I agree it would be sweet to see him and Horford out there banging around in the paint at the same time.

Agreed.

I don't get what's the deal with Rodney Stuckey. I admit I haven't seen him play, but his stats doesn't look that impressive.

Stuckey has looked pretty good this pre-season from the games that I checked the box scores on. I think he'll end up being a very good scoring combo guard but he'll never be a good PG that can run the team because he's not a pass first PG.

I preferred Acie back then and I prefer Acie now!