• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Braves and Jake Peavy

Admin

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3695551

The Braves and Padres have settled on two pieces of the package that Atlanta would send to San Diego -- shortstop Yunel Escobar and outfield prospect Gorkys Hernandez. The Braves likely would include one of two young pitchers, either Charlie Morton or Jo-Jo Reyes. The two sides are at odds over the other pieces in the deal; the Padres are known to have interest in young pitcher Jeffrey Locke.

I'm not sure how good those players are but unless they're ready to be impact players in the majors this year I can't imagine they'd be more valuable than Peavy since he's still young and is a hell of a pitcher. I don't think he's had nearly the workload that a guy like Sabathia has had either so his arm should be relatively solid for another 10 years if he's managed correctly.

I'm nervous. Sure, Peavy is among the very best pitchers in the NL, but he has also benefitted from playing in a great pitcher's park. And he was on the DL last season. I personally think that Escobar could be a Derek Jeter type player. The kind that just always seems to make the right play, come up with the big hit and just show off his high baseball IQ all the time. But he does have some maturity issues that may impede his natural talents. Personally, I'd be more than content with spending on 2 FAs like Dempster and Oliver Perez and keeping Escobar and our minor leagers. But, I am still a little gun-shy from the Texiera deal that left us with a mid-level 1st basemen in exchange for a few blue-chip prospects.

Seems like a good deal as long as they keep Hanson,Heyward,Flowers and Freeman. Those kids are gonna be major studs in the bigs especially Hanson and heyward. I hate losing a toolsy guy like Gorkys but we need a top of the line starter in the worst way. I am a little weary of peavy and his arm. Also I believe if Esco is traded then Brent Lilibridge will take over at short who has tons of speed and gold glove defense but not the hitter that Yunel is.

Lilli isn't bad. He's not a world beater but he's not bad. If you expect the Braves to compete next year or even the next is having high expectations. They have so many holes on the team that I wouldn't want to be Frank Wren. Thank Scheurholtz for screwing us with Texeira.

And Wainwright. He was mortgaging the future hoping to add one more trophy to his mantel, knowing he would quit soon.

Lilli isn't bad. He's not a world beater but he's not bad. If you expect the Braves to compete next year or even the next is having high expectations. They have so many holes on the team that I wouldn't want to be Frank Wren. Thank Scheurholtz for screwing us with Texeira.

I totally disagree abot Brent. He's nothing special defensively and completely without talent with a bat. If we trade Escobar, we will need to get someone else. As far as the expectations go... They have to be high. We're the Braves and we need to get our pride back. The holes aren't that daunting. We need a corner outfielder, we need Frenchie to hit the ball, and we need 2 starting pitchers. If we do that, we could be fine. I personally think we need a change of PC but in lieu of that, Peavy would do wonders. Peavy and Lowe would be a dream. Still, we've got a Hall of Famer at third, a perennial All-Star behind the dish, a Right Fielder who still has a lot of potential, and should they stay healthy, one really good pen and I'm not ready to write that off just yet. Especially with Bobby.

I totally disagree abot Brent. He's nothing special defensively and completely without talent with a bat. If we trade Escobar, we will need to get someone else. As far as the expectations go... They have to be high. We're the Braves and we need to get our pride back. The holes aren't that daunting. We need a corner outfielder, we need Frenchie to hit the ball, and we need 2 starting pitchers. If we do that, we could be fine. I personally think we need a change of PC but in lieu of that, Peavy would do wonders. Peavy and Lowe would be a dream. Still, we've got a Hall of Famer at third, a perennial All-Star behind the dish, a Right Fielder who still has a lot of potential, and should they stay healthy, one really good pen and I'm not ready to write that off just yet. Especially with Bobby.

Frenchy will never get on track. He is just a guy who can't get it to clickhe looks more lost at the plate then Lilli does. I heard if they get Peavy then they may go after Furcal but the problem is who are we gonna get to play CF,LF? We have absolutely no power in the OF and all I can do is hope Heyward gets to the bigs sooner than later. I don't count on Chipper too much still one of the best pure hitters in the game (atleast top 3) but that doesn't mean much when your body seems to be breaking down.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I just don't see the Braves spending that 40M in trades or free agency. I have been a Braves fan for 30 years and this organization has just gone cheap. In the past when they needed a player they went out and got that player NOW they use cheap castoffs from other teams. I just don't have a good feeling about this organization anymore.

I just don't see the Braves spending that 40M in trades or free agency. I have been a Braves fan for 30 years and this organization has just gone cheap. In the past when they needed a player they went out and got that player NOW they use cheap castoffs from other teams. I just don't have a good feeling about this organization anymore.

The thing is the HAVE to spend that money. As part of the agreement to purchase the team Liberty had to agree to a minimum salary, which is around 90 mill.

Looks like the Braves are in the Burnett sweapstakes. The Yankees offered an 80 mil contract supposedly, but we'll see if that is really the case.

The Peavy deal will happen IMO. The Padres were trying to get max value and everyone balked at what Towers asked for. Come February, once all the big FAs have signed, the Braves will go back to the Padres and see what deal can be had.

The MLB will make them spend it. They have to spend at least 85 million on payroll and cannot fire anyone, as per the sale agreement. And Liberty is run by a former Ted Turner guy. I'm not overly worried.

• Premium Member
The thing is the HAVE to spend that money. As part of the agreement to purchase the team Liberty had to agree to a minimum salary, which is around 90 mill.

Looks like the Braves are in the Burnett sweapstakes. The Yankees offered an 80 mil contract supposedly, but we'll see if that is really the case.

The Peavy deal will happen IMO. The Padres were trying to get max value and everyone balked at what Towers asked for. Come February, once all the big FAs have signed, the Braves will go back to the Padres and see what deal can be had.

I sure hope so and maybe things will be ok this spring BUT I just got this bad feeling in my gut about the Braves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

How do you feel now? The Braves not only will not get Peavy but it looks like Burnett is gone too. Maybe we can end up with a Derek Lowe or someone and finish 3rd or 4th again in the division.

The Braves front office sucks! There is NO commitment to winning. The Braves are a hasbeen franchise at best and this pisses me off because I have been a fan over 30 years.

How do you feel now? The Braves not only will not get Peavy but it looks like Burnett is gone too. Maybe we can end up with a Derek Lowe or someone and finish 3rd or 4th again in the division.

The Braves front office sucks! There is NO commitment to winning. The Braves are a hasbeen franchise at best and this pisses me off because I have been a fan over 30 years.

1) I don't see where AJ has signed with anyone as of yet

2) The Cubs pulled out of the Peavy deal. This means that the Braves can go back and make another try. Until Peavy is w/ another team, I still believe that is the deal that Wren wants to make.

To say that the front office sucks is a little harsh. I know you want the team to have made all the deals last month, but that isn't the way the front office game is played. This is esp true when Kevin Towers is involved. The guy will wait and wait and wait to make a deal.

Let's see this play out. Spring training hasn't even started so there is no reason to panic.

• Premium Member
1) I don't see where AJ has signed with anyone as of yet

2) The Cubs pulled out of the Peavy deal. This means that the Braves can go back and make another try. Until Peavy is w/ another team, I still believe that is the deal that Wren wants to make.

To say that the front office sucks is a little harsh. I know you want the team to have made all the deals last month, but that isn't the way the front office game is played. This is esp true when Kevin Towers is involved. The guy will wait and wait and wait to make a deal.

Let's see this play out. Spring training hasn't even started so there is no reason to panic.

ESPN is reporting Burnett has agreed to contract with the Yankees

ESPN is reporting Burnett has agreed to contract with the Yankees

burnett's good, but my god, i'm glad the braves didn't try to beat the yankee's offer. he's strung together some nice streaks, but he has spent way too much time on the dl to be throwing him the $80mil/5years that the yanks gave. 5 years? given how he was able to get that contract, i'm surprised hampton didn't get more than a 2 year offer. honestly, i have a feeling that the yanks will have pitching issues for a good chunk of the year. burnett always has problems, and cc was overworked last year. brewers had him throw like 3 complete games in a row. mark my words, he will spend at least a month or two on the dl, maybe longer. even if he doesn't, he'll prolly end up with an era over 4.0/4.25.

it's easy to be pissed at a team for not jumping in, but unfortunately not every team is in new york and can spend stupid amounts of money. unless the braves could suddenly start spending >$200mil on payroll, i'd be a little upset if they dropped that kind of cash on one player when you can use your money and farm system more wisely.

Edited by bird_dirt

• Premium Member
burnett's good, but my god, i'm glad the braves didn't try to beat the yankee's offer. he's strung together some nice streaks, but he has spent way too much time on the dl to be throwing him the $80mil/5years that the yanks gave. 5 years? given how he was able to get that contract, i'm surprised hampton didn't get more than a 2 year offer. honestly, i have a feeling that the yanks will have pitching issues for a good chunk of the year. burnett always has problems, and cc was overworked last year. brewers had him throw like 3 complete games in a row. mark my words, he will spend at least a month or two on the dl, maybe longer. even if he doesn't, he'll prolly end up with an era over 4.0/4.25.

it's easy to be pissed at a team for not jumping in, but unfortunately not every team is in new york and can spend stupid amounts of money. unless the braves could suddenly start spending >$200mil on payroll, i'd be a little upset if they dropped that kind of cash on one player when you can use your money and farm system more wisely.

Typical response for somone who makes excuses for losing. What have the Braves done the last three or four years? Let's see. definitely not in the playoffs. Started trading prospects for one year rental players i.e Texierra (sp) and dried up has been pitchers (Glavine).

Make all the excuses you can come up with for this now cheap ass organization.

A winner doesn't need excuses because they go out and do what it takes to be a winner.

If you can't play with the big boys then just admit it. Just don't expect season ticket holders to pay the big bucks for being mediocre.

As a Yankees fan I am definitely not happy that we spent so much money on a 300 lb pitcher with a ton of innings under his belt already and also on a guy who has only pitched well in years where he could earn more money and has shown that he doesn't like pitching unless he feels 100%. It could work out extremely well and the Yankees will get the value out of them but more than likely it will be a failure signing these guys to such huge and long term deals.