• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Josh Smith wants to get back on court

GameTime

BACK ON HIS FEET: Josh Smith is back on his feet after spending a week on crutches, the result of a left high ankle sprain he suffered in a Nov. 7 win over Toronto. Smith is wearing a walking boot now and eager to get back on the floor with his teammates after missing last week’s four-game road trip and Saturday’s game against New Jersey at Philips Arena.

“Watching those games on [television] was agonizing,” Smith said. “We played great and handled our business on the trip. We should have beaten Boston and New Jersey, but that’s the way it goes sometimes.”

There’s no clear-cut timetable for Smith’s return. He and Hawks coach Mike Woodson still he should be out two to four weeks, but Smith wants to return soon.

“I might to get some red clay and vinegar and make it happen,” he said laughing. “I just want to get out there and help my team out. That’s the only thing on my mind right now.”

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/ha...josh_smith.html

Gawd, do people proofread their work anymore these days?

We need J Smoove back, but I don't think even he could have stemmed some of the garbage play we have exhibited these past two games...

Meh, it is just two games, but we HAVE to start getting back to basics--playing consistent defense and limiting the turnovers. Our inside game desperately needs to improve as well.

Yeah, I'd definitely love to see Smoove back on the court ASAP. Hopefully he wouldn't aggravate his injury further so I'm not saying to rush him...it would just be a MORE than welcome sight to see him back on the court swatting 5 shots a game. lol.

A lot of people underestimate the importance of Smith's shotblocking. It isn't just the shots he blocks that are important it is the shots he alters or prevents that is far more important. There is no way other teams would be attacking the basket like they are now if Smith was in there.

• Premium Member
A lot of people underestimate the importance of Smith's shotblocking. It isn't just the shots he blocks that are important it is the shots he alters or prevents that is far more important. There is no way other teams would be attacking the basket like they are now if Smith was in there.

This is true.

And I think the team will also have a new appreciation for what he brings to the court. They likely have learned some things about themselves and I think all this has the potential to make us better.

I think the players (and Woody) have always appreciated Josh, you can tell that he has a good raport with his team and if Woody really didn't think he was necessary to have out there, he wouldn't be out there.

I think the key, and this is from a big Josh supporter, is going to be how Woody uses this as a learning experience for Josh himself.

Josh has to be able to look at the tape, look at the numbers, and hear from Woody and his team how he can be the team MVP without taking the long jumpers, even if they were to go in. They have to sit him down and make him understand that the D has gone sour without him, he's ultra valuable there. That the team is too reliant on jump shots and he is the best inside player - that they need him drawing those fouls and getting those dunks.

Part of that is on Woody, the staff, and the guys to convey that to him but really its on him to both understand that and be able to adapt.