HORFORD: STEP YOUR GAME UP

Elijah

Al was billed as having a shaky post game coming into the league. It would be nice if he could improve that but he doesn't really need to be a dominant post-player to be very effective for us.

What I really want to see is Al be the best rebounder on the floor again. Watching the Chi game, Al showed what he could do and he didn't really post up once. He was opportunistic, he got open off the ball and finished when guys found him around the hoop, he ran the floor with a lot of energy, and he just crashed the glass.

I think that Al could be a 15-12 type of guy if he really embraced his role. He has a decent shot from midrange, he really attacks the glass when he wants to. He doesn't need to be a post player, whether Josh is in or not.

I don't think Al will ever be a post up guy, but I also don't think he needs to be. I've heard people talk about Al in relation to Karl Malone. He obviously isn't going to be Karl Malone, but I don't remember Malone posting up a whole lot either. What I remember is a bunch of pick and rolls and face-up jump shots from about 10-15 feet. I think Al would be much better off facing his opponent up and taking them off the dribble than trying to back them down. Especially since he's playing center for us.

• Moderators
Welcome to the world of Flip Murray. He's either on fire or ice cold. There is no middle ground with him. And he can't realize when he doesn't have it. So he chucks up shot after shot and has a lot of 2-13 kind of nights.

If only there was a guy, let's call him Ruler of the team, who's job it was to notice when guys are chucking crappy shots over and over again. Then he could replace that player with another one who might not do that OR call the guy over and tell him 'you miss again and you are behind Speedy in the rotation'. Oh well.

If only there was a guy, let's call him Ruler of the team, who's job it was to notice when guys are chucking crappy shots over and over again. Then he could replace that player with another one who might not do that OR call the guy over and tell him 'you miss again and you are behind Speedy in the rotation'. Oh well.

Thats who Flip is, thats who he always has been and who he always will be. He doesn't know how to play differently and there have been coaches who have threatened him with benching in the past and there have been coaches that have benched him in the past.

The reason we got him for the price we got him for is that he is a guy who will try and make a play whenever the ball touches his hand but he's a below average shooter and finisher and a mediocre passer. The same things that are great about him when he's hot - ice water in his veins, great aggressiveness, tons of confidence - are the things that are a pain in the ass when he's off.

Thats the deal with Flip though, you either take the good with the bad and ride the high-scoring weeks and compensate for the 2-11 nights, or you sit him on the bench.

I really don't see why everyone is always talking about having a legit post up guy. Hardly any teams in the league do. Their are only a handful of legit back down players and they are impossible to get. Duncan, Dwight, Shaq, Jefferson, Yao completes the list. All the great scoring big men in this league are NOT post up guys, they are slashers who usually have a good midrange shot, which is exactly what Horford should work on. Most of them run the Pick and roll CONSTANTLY as well which is why they score so many easy buckets.

I've said it a million times, we should run the P&R a lot more with Bibby and Horford, it would get Horford some easy buckets, he'd get open jumpers, and it lets Bibby run the play that he's been dominant in for his entire career. Do y'all notice how often Bibby makes great passes when we run the P&R?? That's his play.