• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons win UGLY game vs. SD

CBAreject

ATL dominates this one but almost gives it away. SD scores all its points off turnovers (including a muffed punt). This was one of those where you had a bad feeling the whole game bc we kept them in it until the end. I guess games like this will happen, especially for a young team. Glad to have the W at the end of the day.

Positive notes: Ryan has another brilliant game. Defense played exceedingly well, allowing only points off of turnovers.

Constructive criticism: Coaching staff should've exploited SD's weakness which was pass defense. We bogged down in the red zone multiple times bc we kept handing off and running into the pile. SD has one of the worst pass defenses in the league, and we should've torched them. This game shouldn't have been close.

Some quick thoughts:

Great, great win. We HAD to win this one--especially with both TB AND CAR winning today!

Defense was awesome! Take away the turnovers and SD probably has no more than 100-150 yards of total offense.

We held Phillip Rivers, arguably the best QB this year (who also leads the league in TDs and Passer Rating) to 17/30 149 yards ZERO TDs. Thanks in large part to Babineaux's 1.5 sacks and great coverage by Boley and Chris Houston.

LT looked so average today. Ouch.

After getting stuffed 3 straight times in the red zone at the 1 right before the half, we should have KICKED THE FG! Grab your 3 points and go up 18-7. Remember, you get the ball back after the half. Yeah if it had gone in it would have been a great call, but it didnt. Besides, we tried to run at Jamal Williams every time (who is a great run stuffing NT) only to get denied. Why not bounce it outside at least one of those times, ESPECIALLY if you are going for it on 4th down like they did. Bad play call there.

Muffed punt, ouch. At least HD atoned for it with a receiving TD and a very good punt return the next series.

O Line was phenomenal in pass protection today. Didnt give up a sack again.

On the flip side, our O Line was inconsistent in run blocking today. They straight up suck near the goal line because they generate so little push. Part of the reason for our failures in the red zone and on 3rd/4th and very short.

Matt Ryan. Solid performance. What else can you say about this dude?

Roddy White was huge. Good to see him break 1,000 yards in back to back seasons since 1998 (our lone super bowl year).

Great to see the TE involved more today. Looks like we did our homework on what SD was weak at.

Bad officiating today. Needless to say, we cant turn over the ball that much and expect to beat serious playoff teams. Period.

8-4...who would have thought? Our Falcons did.

Did you know we have been keeping pace with the only other team to immediately start a rookie QB this year--the Baltimore Ravens? Both teams are 8-4. And since week 1, in which both teams won their opener, all except once or twice, if we won, they won...and vice versa.

But yes, ugly win doesnt do their ugliness justice.

Edited by TheTruth

one word:

DEFENSE!!!

oh yeah and that Turner fumble was not a fumble

It certainly was not a fumble and I didn't think Finneran had possession of the ball when he supposedly fumbled either (the ball was moving the whole time as he was trying to secure it). I thought we completely dominated the game on both sides of the ball but those plays (and HD's muffed punt) allowed them to stay in the game.

I LOVE our coaching staff but I thought they made a couple of mistakes as well:

1) I didn't have a problem going for it on 4th down late in the first half but I DO question the four plays they chose to run. SD's nose tackle is a beast and their best defensive player (other than Merriman). Why allow him to clog up the middle without trying at least ONE play on the edge. I understand the desire to be tough and physical in there but that dude is a monster. A fake to Turner and a little pass to the TE or the FB in the flat would have been cool too.

2) WHY did we make SD re-kick after the penalty? Just take possession of the ball in that situation. I saw that fake coming a mile away. I was surprised when they actually punted the first one being down 2 scores with time getting short. I thought they were going to line up and go for it when we decided to make them re-kick and when they didn't, I just KNEW they were going to fake it. Just take the ball, even if you are on your own 10.

Again, I LOVE our coaching staff and they did a LOT more right than wrong, I just thought they could have done better in managing those two situations.

The referees really did favor the Chargers today, but we should be complaining too much. It's understandable if we actually lost, but rejoice for the Victory!

I applaud the defense. We made stops when we needed to make stops, and we made plays when we needed to make plays. That's just how you win ballgames, folks... and we held LT to second lowest yards rushing total of his career yesterday.

The future looks bright for this team. One thing I've been worried about is whether or not we'd be able to resign Dominique Foxworth this offseason. It's not that I don't think our coaching staff will not want to sign him, it's whether or not he'll ask for too high of a price that Dimitroff will have nothing else to do but to reject him. If that did happen, I'd rather us look to the free agency to find a player that can bring equal or close value to what Foxworth can bring to the table. Because Foxworth has been playing lights out this year and he's been one of the many pleasant surprises this year.

It certainly was not a fumble and I didn't think Finneran had possession of the ball when he supposedly fumbled either (the ball was moving the whole time as he was trying to secure it). I thought we completely dominated the game on both sides of the ball but those plays (and HD's muffed punt) allowed them to stay in the game.

I LOVE our coaching staff but I thought they made a couple of mistakes as well:

1) I didn't have a problem going for it on 4th down late in the first half but I DO question the four plays they chose to run. SD's nose tackle is a beast and their best defensive player (other than Merriman). Why allow him to clog up the middle without trying at least ONE play on the edge. I understand the desire to be tough and physical in there but that dude is a monster. A fake to Turner and a little pass to the TE or the FB in the flat would have been cool too.

After that second or third try up the gut, what you said should have been the course of action. Either that or kick the FG. Anything other than 4 straight runs up the gut probably gets us 7 points right there.

2) WHY did we make SD re-kick after the penalty? Just take possession of the ball in that situation. I saw that fake coming a mile away. I was surprised when they actually punted the first one being down 2 scores with time getting short. I thought they were going to line up and go for it when we decided to make them re-kick and when they didn't, I just KNEW they were going to fake it. Just take the ball, even if you are on your own 10.

If they had indeed re-kicked, it would have meant better field position for us. That is what the Falcons were going for. But meh, SD did fool us on that one.

Again, I LOVE our coaching staff and they did a LOT more right than wrong, I just thought they could have done better in managing those two situations.

ATL dominates this one but almost gives it away. SD scores all its points off turnovers (including a muffed punt). This was one of those where you had a bad feeling the whole game bc we kept them in it until the end. I guess games like this will happen, especially for a young team. Glad to have the W at the end of the day.

Positive notes: Ryan has another brilliant game. Defense played exceedingly well, allowing only points off of turnovers.

Constructive criticism: Coaching staff should've exploited SD's weakness which was pass defense. We bogged down in the red zone multiple times bc we kept handing off and running into the pile. SD has one of the worst pass defenses in the league, and we should've torched them. This game shouldn't have been close.

Hey a win is a win...