• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

#1 concern for Woody is job security

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

This eight-man rotation is here to stay. I hate it but the reality is that Woody’s #1 concern is keeping his job. I wish we had a coach that had the patience and vision look ahead but sadly we don’t. So no more bumping for Acie for now I realize that it’s a huge waste of time. All you Solo and Acie fans can let it go; No way in hell Woody will change with so much volatility among NBA coaches.

• Moderators

The irony here is that I think structured, limited but consistent minutes for Acie is both in the short-term and long-term good of the team. So I think that actually increases his job security. I don't feel the same way about Solo because our exposure inside isn't quite as bad, IMO.

Edited by AHF

This eight-man rotation is here to stay. I hate it but the reality is that Woody’s #1 concern is keeping his job. I wish we had a coach that had the patience and vision look ahead but sadly we don’t. So no more bumping for Acie for now I realize that it’s a huge waste of time. All you Solo and Acie fans can let it go; No way in hell Woody will change with so much volatility among NBA coaches.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head there NOTR. And to be fair to Woody - who can blame him? We always say (when players make decisions that aren't popular with us fans) that "it's a business". It's a business for Woody too. Why should he have to worry about possibly sacrificing wins short-term just to develop younger players like Acie. Woody needs all the wins he can get. Self sacrifice is something you do for bigger things (like your country)...not the Hawks. There is no reason for Woody to look at his situation in terms of the longterm future of the franchise.

Therefore, I agree that it looks like Acie is on the Shelden "career path". I doubt if he is traded though since he is needed as a desperation backup in case Bibby gets injured. This also means that it doesn't look like Bibby will be traded at or near the deadline (not a bad thing - he has been playing well). Solo/Morris/Mario are just cheap practice meat IMHO.

I can't argue with the line of reasoning, as I believe its correct. However, it speaks to two solutions, both of which are in the ASG's hands.

1) Sign Woody to a good, long-term deal. This gives Woody the financial security he needs, even if fired. It would also let some of these young guys, Acie, develop as Woody knows he needs to build towards the future.

2) Fire Woodson today. While Woodson has a winning record this season, and the team reached the playoffs last year, the short term deal he's under indicates that he could be replaced any day. Hence, Woodson sacrifices Acie and possibly others (JJ playing 40+ minutes) to secure his job.

The ASG had the opportunity to fix this whole problem over the summer by getting a new HC that they believed in. Instead, they took the cheap way out and gave Woodson a hangman's noose contract, which assured the lack of commitment to developing guys like Acie. I really wonder how much PT Horford/Smith would get if the Hawks had a guy like Camby or Brad Miller? Just food for thought.

Stat of the week:

Only 5 coaches in the NBA has held the same head coaching position on the same team, longer than Woody. They are . . .

Jerry Sloan ( UTA )

Gregg Popovich ( SAS )

Phil Jackson ( LAL )

Mike Dunleavy ( LAC )

Lawrence Frank ( NJ )

Woody = Survivor . . . . even if he didn't deserve to survive this long.