• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Assists-to-Turnovers

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Passing along the Trivial but Interesting Stat-du-Jour...

The Hawks are currently 4th among NBA squads in the team ratio of Assists-to-Turnovers.

1. Spurs 1.84

2. Pistons 1.76

3. Raptors 1.73 (thanks to Jose, eh?)

4. "Now You Know" 1.71

5. Blazers 1.71

Rounding out the top 10 are the Lake Show, Cavs, Mavs, and Hornets, and somehow the Wizards.

I'd love to take a minute to look into past seasons, but I can't imagine any point since (I'm guessing) the Mookie-in-his-prime years when they were anywhere near the top of this category.

More than likely they've been bottom 10, hanging out perennially with teams like this year's group: the Thunder, Grizz, Sixers, Kings, Bobcats and Warriors. Bulls and Magic are in the bottom 10 as are the still-finding-their-way Suns.

Spurs 'n Pistons are also 1-and-2 in fewest turnovers (Hawks are 9th, the once-juggernaut Celts are LAST). Hawks are 8th in Dimes per Game, 0.1 assists per game behind the Raps (Celts are 6th).

The stat doesn't translate into Parades on Peachtree by itself, but a decent ratio and solid defense can keep this team in Contender City for awhile.

~lw3

Some of the credit for this has to go to hot 3 pt shooting from Bibby and JJ. Most of their 3s are probably catch and shoot and they have made more 3s than any backcourt duo in the NBA.

The ball movement has been better the last two games but overall the Hawks have been running too many iso's. Those end of quarter iso's are starting to get on my last nerve.

Thanks for the rankings. I have always wanted to do a little study where I ploted assists & turnover raw numbers and the ratio by game and see if those numbers could predict wins. It just seems to me that the teams that consistantly win the assist battle have a better chance of winning than those that don't. These data seem to indicate that its a good predictor but not sure fire.

Very interesting !

I bet we were bottom of the league in assist to turnover ratio before we got Bibby last season.

Its a wonder what a starting caliber NBA PG and players who can actually shoot can do for a ball club. Not to mention having players who are finally old enough to be out of a 4 year college.

It is a tremendous accomplishment by our guards and our 22 and under fowards to play efficiently with so few turnovers.

• Premium Member
Passing along the Trivial but Interesting Stat-du-Jour...

The Hawks are currently 4th among NBA squads in the team ratio of Assists-to-Turnovers.

1. Spurs 1.84

2. Pistons 1.76

3. Raptors 1.73 (thanks to Jose, eh?)

4. "Now You Know" 1.71

5. Blazers 1.71

Rounding out the top 10 are the Lake Show, Cavs, Mavs, and Hornets, and somehow the Wizards.

I'd love to take a minute to look into past seasons, but I can't imagine any point since (I'm guessing) the Mookie-in-his-prime years when they were anywhere near the top of this category.

More than likely they've been bottom 10, hanging out perennially with teams like this year's group: the Thunder, Grizz, Sixers, Kings, Bobcats and Warriors. Bulls and Magic are in the bottom 10 as are the still-finding-their-way Suns.

Spurs 'n Pistons are also 1-and-2 in fewest turnovers (Hawks are 9th, the once-juggernaut Celts are LAST). Hawks are 8th in Dimes per Game, 0.1 assists per game behind the Raps (Celts are 6th).

The stat doesn't translate into Parades on Peachtree by itself, but a decent ratio and solid defense can keep this team in Contender City for awhile.

~lw3

I think the credit goes to less turnovers...

Last year, we had 22 apg as a team. This year we're at 21.87 apg.

Last year, A/TO = 1.56 This year A/TO = 1.71.

So it seems that we just turn the ball over less.

Before you go to your favorite watering hole..

Flip/Mo = 2.8 TO/Game

Chillz = 1.3 TO/Game

The biggest difference is in Mike Bibby, Josh Smith, and Marvin. Each producing ~ more than 1 TO less per game.

I think the credit goes to less turnovers...

Last year, we had 22 apg as a team. This year we're at 21.87 apg.

Last year, A/TO = 1.56 This year A/TO = 1.71.

So it seems that we just turn the ball over less.

Before you go to your favorite watering hole..

Flip/Mo = 2.8 TO/Game

Chillz = 1.3 TO/Game

The biggest difference is in Mike Bibby, Josh Smith, and Marvin. Each producing ~ more than 1 TO less per game.

How about

Chillz 1.3 TO/Game

FLOP 2.8 TO/Game..lol.

Flip is a terrible ball handler being a guard. He has a turnover at the end of each quater.