• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bob Knight to coach Georgia!

Popeye

Don't see it happening . . . . . . . but he'd be a loc better than Harrick.

Knight would answer UGA call

By Furman Bisher

For the Journal-Constitution

Sunday, February 01, 2009

If you are one of those Bulldogs deeply distressed about the course of basketball at the University of Georgia, I have promising news for you. How would you like to have Bob Knight coaching your team?

This is the man who won 902 games, most in college history, then decided it was time to find life outside Lubbock, Texas. Nothing wrong with Lubbock, but when he went to Texas Tech about six years ago, it was like setting up shop in a desert, as college basketball goes. When he suddenly quit about a year ago, he thought he’d had enough. Georgia offers another kind of chance in a highly visible conference.

It can be done, but as you’d imagine, only if done his way. His way:

“He doesn’t want it to look as if he’s pursuing the job. He’d like to be offered it, and if offered, he’d take it,” said a mutual friend, who did not want to be named but was willing for this columnist to report Knight’s interest.

“He doesn’t want it to look as if he’s looking for work, but I can assure you that he’d like to have the job. It’s the idea of coaching a team in the Southeastern Conference that appeals to him. There are just so many things he could do for Georgia basketball. This would be his last stop, and he likes that.”

Knight, 68, left Texas Tech in the middle of the 2008 season, and the question arises —- why? (“If I had hit 62 home runs, I’d thought I’d accomplished something,” he said when he broke Dean Smith’s victory record.)

“It occurred to him that he had done all he could there. His son, Patrick, his assistant, was ready and it was time for Patrick to take over and time for him to move on,” the friend said.

On the Jay Leno show, in his first interview after leaving Texas Tech, Knight said, “I thought I’d had enough.”

“Are we ever going to see you back on the floor?” Leno asked.

“Well, I don’t think you can never say never,” Knight replied.

Not until the Georgia job came open had he expressed any interest in a return to coaching, his friend said. When he arrived at Texas Tech, the Raiders had won only 14 games in the Big 12 the previous four years. In Knight’s time, they won 43.

Knight left Indiana on the toe of president Myles Brand’s shoe, a move heavily laden with controversy. Brand has since become president of the NCAA and only recently announced that he has been diagnosed with cancer. Oddly enough, Brand and Dr. Michael Adams, president of UGA, are close friends, whatever effect that relationship might have on the hiring of Knight.

The next move, whatever it might be, would be up to Damon Evans, Georgia’s director of athletics

He would coach If offered. I say go for it!!! :angel19:

ESPN got that from Furman Bisher, the AJC columnist.

I actually HATE Knight. I think his coaching style is stale and antiquated. I really don't see how guys get motivated to play for that blow-hard. Second, the guy is 68. How much longer can/will he coach? I would rather the Bulldogs go and get themselves a 10-15 year HC, not someone who'll come in for 3 years.

The only silver lining to hiring Knight, IMO, is that he might get a new venue built. The current barn is simply awful. The place got some window dressing after I graduated in 91, but the thing is still a place to run rodios and other live-stock events, not a basketball venue. A new arena plus Knight might take the UGA basketball program somehwere new, but I just really can't stand the guy.

• Moderators

I hate Knight but respect his coaching ability. He is a bully and a jerk but would be an upgrade for the program and would win in the SEC. The only positive other than coaching ability is that he would also run a clean program.

Edited by AHF

It is not going to happen. Georgia is not bringing in a 68 year old coach. I have learned to respect Coach Knight but I don't think he is a fit at UGA not with Michael Adams meddling hand always around. I look for UGA to bring in a younger coach on the way up. If the rumors are true money should not be a problem.

• Moderators
Georgia is not a "destination" College Basketball coaching job.

That's important in the grand scheme of things.

Agreed. Anyone looking to climb the ladder in college basketball isn't going to stop at UGA.

Tubby should have remained there given the in-state talent rather than go to Minnesota, though, IMO. He could have taken UGA to bigger and better things if he had foreseen that he wanted to end up at a less than premium job long-term.

Agreed. Anyone looking to climb the ladder in college basketball isn't going to stop at UGA.

Tubby should have remained there given the in-state talent rather than go to Minnesota, though, IMO. He could have taken UGA to bigger and better things if he had foreseen that he wanted to end up at a less than premium job long-term.

i'd agree with both you and teke.

knight, though, wouldn't be looking to do much ladder climbing. but after him being there 4 or 5, he could help turn the program into more of a basketball destination than it has been. at least enough of one where it could be seen as a viable option for players, and they could get a next rising star coach there to replace knight by that time. getting some other moderate coach rising in the ranks is what they did with their last coach who came from western kentucky, fresh off a decent ncaa tourny appearance. he didn't last beyond what folks would expect knight to stay for.

one problem with tubby back at uga would be that he'd still be in the sec and have to go back to play at uk. i'm sure he's had enough of that place.

one thing uga has going for it as far as knight is concerned, they already have the red jerseys. knight could still hold onto his collection of vneck sweaters.

• Moderators
i'd agree with both you and teke.

knight, though, wouldn't be looking to do much ladder climbing. but after him being there 4 or 5, he could help turn the program into more of a basketball destination than it has been. at least enough of one where it could be seen as a viable option for players, and they could get a next rising star coach there to replace knight by that time. getting some other moderate coach rising in the ranks is what they did with their last coach who came from western kentucky, fresh off a decent ncaa tourny appearance. he didn't last beyond what folks would expect knight to stay for.

I agree. That is why I think this makes some sense for UGA to take a shot on.

one problem with tubby back at uga would be that he'd still be in the sec and have to go back to play at uk. i'm sure he's had enough of that place.

Tubby can't return now. What he should have done is never left for Kentucky. I was happy when he did but it wasn't the right fit for what he wanted and going to Minnesota is basically recreating the low expectation, moderate resource environment he had at UGA - which makes me think that perhaps he regrets ever leaving there. With the in-state talent in Georgia, someone could make that a good job.

one thing uga has going for it as far as knight is concerned, they already have the red jerseys. knight could still hold onto his collection of vneck sweaters.

lol

I have a hard time thinking I could really root for Knight. That is my main problem, but I don't think getting an older coach like this would be a problem for a school like UGA.

I agree. That is why I think this makes some sense for UGA to take a shot on.

Tubby can't return now. What he should have done is never left for Kentucky. I was happy when he did but it wasn't the right fit for what he wanted and going to Minnesota is basically recreating the low expectation, moderate resource environment he had at UGA - which makes me think that perhaps he regrets ever leaving there. With the in-state talent in Georgia, someone could make that a good job.

lol

I have a hard time thinking I could really root for Knight. That is my main problem, but I don't think getting an older coach like this would be a problem for a school like UGA.

Curiousity might lead me to even watch a few games if this happens.