• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Reality - BK - worst GM Ever

DJlaysitup

BK wasted two 1sts on the SF position the year before including the #6 pick. He also spent a 1st on Diaw the year before. We also had Al Harrington.

Our PGs at the time were Lue, Delk and Ivey (if you can even consider Delk/Ivey PGs). He should've drafted a PG.

On top of all that Marvin didn't even start in college, only scored 10 ppg and choked in the 3 biggest games in the NCAA tourney. He didn't even have a winning HS team and he was a lot less athletic than projected before the combine. He was out of shape in his workout. Chris Paul openly said he wanted to come here and said he had his best workout here.

Terrible pick the moment it was announced.

Regardless, it's a GMs job to find out who the best talent is, not ours. He was terrible.

If you recall in the beginning Diaw was seen as a pg which fit BK's dream of having long players. Another factor in drafting Marvin was that it was well known that we had no interest in resigning Al Harrington, who we learned was not the "franchise" player we gambled upon him being, so in essence Marvin was basically an even swap pick for Harrington.

We got Speedy because he was the best point guard available in free agency, the Hawks verson of the Falcons "Michael Turner" pick up. No one knew that Speedy was going to be a disaster. At worst he was thought to be a servicable starting pg. I think that BK more than made up for the Shelden draft by turning him into Mike Bibby.

So at the end of the day BK turned

A disgruntled Sheed into Smoove

Boris Diaw into Joe Johnson

Shelden Williams into Mike Bibby

But in you world our team would be

Jason Terry

Chris Paul

Boris Diaw

Al Harrington

Antoine Walker

Good luck with that cuz

You guys are making respectable arguments for other guys, but seriously, Marvin over Paul? That is akin to Bowie over Jordan, because Paul will unquestionably be a Hall of Famer, while Marvin will NEVER even go to the All-Star game as long as his age is that of Lebron and will always be fighting for two or three spots that he won't be able to fill even if he improves considerably. Most people had no idea that Paul would be the monster that he is, but expert talent evaluators should have seen signs. That single decision set our franchise back at least 10 years. As many of you know, I am far from a Joe Johnson fan, so my ideal lineup would be and should be Paul, Roy, Smith, Horford, and any stiff you could find at the 5, sorta like the one we have now, although I have increasing respect for Zaza. Paul and Roy wouldn't even allow Josh to do half of the ridiculous antics he pulls on a nightly basis, and would be closer to an All-Star level after last season than farther from it. I despise Billy Knight and hope to never see him enjoying himself in Atlanta. True, Isiah was an abomination, but many eyes were clouded like mine because we were still seeing the player who was brimming with court intelligence and basketball know-how that we were waiting to see translate in his managerialship. Never happened. Still, I don't remember Isiah passing on a H.O.F. and perrinnial All-Star for Marvin and Shelden, respectively.

Edited by benhillboy

You guys are making respectable arguments for other guys, but seriously, Marvin over Paul? That is akin to Bowie over Jordan, because Paul will unquestionably be a Hall of Famer, while Marvin will NEVER even go to the All-Star game as long as his age is that of Lebron and will always be fighting for two or three spots that he won't be able to fill even if he improves considerably. Most people had no idea that Paul would be the monster that he is, but expert talent evaluators should have seen signs. That single decision set our franchise back at least 10 years. As many of you know, I am far from a Joe Johnson fan, so my ideal lineup would be and should be Paul, Roy, Smith, Horford, and any stiff you could find at the 5, sorta like the one we have now, although I have increasing respect for Zaza. Paul and Roy wouldn't even allow Josh to do half of the ridiculous antics he pulls on a nightly basis, and would be closer to an All-Star level after last season than farther from it. I despise Billy Knight and hope to never see him enjoying himself in Atlanta. True, Isiah was an abomination, but many eyes were clouded like mine because we were still seeing the player who was brimming with court intelligence and basketball know-how that we were waiting to see translate in his managerialship. Never happened. Still, I don't remember Isiah passing on a H.O.F. and perrinnial All-Star for Marvin and Shelden, respectively.

If we had Paul, we probably wouldn't have gotten a pick high enough for Roy and definitely wouldn't have had a shot at Horford. But, we'd have a core of Paul/JJ/Smith at the very least, and we'd have had cap space as well. Rudy Gay would've been a strong possibility in 06.

If you recall in the beginning Diaw was seen as a pg which fit BK's dream of having long players. Another factor in drafting Marvin was that it was well known that we had no interest in resigning Al Harrington, who we learned was not the "franchise" player we gambled upon him being, so in essence Marvin was basically an even swap pick for Harrington.

Diaw was drafted to play beside Terry yes. But when the Marvin pick was made, we had already seen Diaw for a year and it was obvious he couldn't play PG, so that's just not an excuse. Regardless, we still wasted a #6 and #17 on the SF position the year before and our PG situation was probably the worst in the NBA.

We got Speedy because he was the best point guard available in free agency... No one knew that Speedy was going to be a disaster. At worst he was thought to be a servicable starting pg.

Speedy had never been a starter in his entire career and STILL couldn't stay healthy as a backup. I think it's naive to say we didn't see this coming.

However I do give him credit for the Sheed, Bibby, and JJ trades. But the fact remains that when you are rebuilding that your lottery picks are the biggest assets and the most important part of the process. BK failed miserably.

Still, I don't remember Isiah passing on a H.O.F. and perrinnial All-Star for Marvin and Shelden, respectively.

That is because he traded away most of his 1st round picks. Heck, the second overall pick in 2006 (Shelden's draft) and the 9th overall pick in 2007 were New York's, but he had traded those away in 2005 for Eddy Curry!

And at the end of the day, we have a 50-win team (albeit in a poor conference) with the capacity to be a 50-win team for the next 5 years. As much as we could've been in better shape with some better drafting and better trading, we could've been in far worse shape.

Had BK not gotten EXTREMELY lucky to keep the #3 in 07, we'd have Zaza starting with Solo as the primary backup. BK just got lucky as hell there and I can't give him credit for that. I will give him credit for making the correct decision at #3, though.

Regardless if not for that blind luck, he'd be getting a lot more flack in this thread. I just can't give credit to a GM when luck is a key factor in determining his success.

I agree he wasn't the worst, though.

• Moderators
That is because he traded away most of his 1st round picks. Heck, the second overall pick in 2006 (Shelden's draft) and the 9th overall pick in 2007 were New York's, but he had traded those away in 2005 for Eddy Curry!

QFT.

Also, he traded Marcus Camby and the #7 pick in the 2002 draft which could have been used on Amare Stoudamire, Caron Butler, Nene Hilario, among others for Antonio McDyess (filler on both sides). McDyess ended up scoring 152 total points for NY.

Just awful short sighted trades.