• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sources: Braves in mix for Griffey

mattlanta

Two baseball sources told ESPN.com on Saturday that the Atlanta Braves are making a late play for Griffey and have begun discussing money with his agent.

If the Braves don't sign Griffey, they could turn to veteran Garret Anderson as a fallback. But sources said that Griffey is Atlanta's prime target, and the Braves are "in the mix'' for his services.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3907492

There's some more info in the link. This would be a solid signing for the Braves. I wouldn't mind having Griffey play over at left field although it's still hard to tell how much we're willing to offer anyone because of the whole Glavine situation. I would rather have had Adam Dunn or Bobby Abreu, but Griffey is definitely an upgrade in the outfield.

OP is right, considering what's currently in our OF, Griffey would be a great addition to the team. Especially if we can get him for cheap, then it would be a safe, small gamble.

Plus, it doesn't hurt that he's one of my favorite players of all time, so it'd be pretty cool to have him wear the tomahawk on his chest.

February 14th, 2009

6:39 pm

DOB

"Terry Moore talked to a friend of Griffey’s today, and Atlanta is his first choice. he really wants to play for the Braves. has a daughter on an Atlanta AAU team and a son who’s playing high school football this year in Orlando, and Griffey doesn’t want to be on the other side of the country at Seattle. Plus, he’s always wanted to play for Bobby Cox.

I bet you it gets done, maybe as soon as Monday."

So we've immediately become the front-runners. I really hope this happens. He can still kill righthanded pitching, and a Diaz/Griffey platoon would be perfect. Hopefully this isn't smoke & mirrors like Burnett & Furcal were, and this actually gets done.

This signing would cap off a solid, B+ offseason for the Braves.

Edited by LOL_Hawks

the news was quoting a 5 million dollar offer from Seattle. Unless he wants to play for significantly less than that he won't be a Brave.

They still need to work out Glavine.

Sounds like Glavine is getting close to a deal and that most of the money will be deferred. This would open up $s to sign Griffey.

I would really like the signing of Junior. I've always wanted him to be a Brave and this looks like the best shot. I don't think this is going to come down to dollars; rather, I expect Griffey will sign with the club that has the best chance of getting to the post season. The Braves are in much better shape than the Mariners, so if the dollars are comparable then I would expect Griffey to be a Brave.

Great signing by the Braves. Griffey gives them the one year, cheap, power hitting vet they desperately needed for this season. Add in the Glavine signing and this is a solid offseason.

So this is how the line up looks vs. righties?

1. Escobar SS

2. Kotchman 1B

3. Chipper 3B

4. Griffey LF

5. McCann C

6. Johnson 2B

7. Francouer RF

8. Anderson/Shafer/Blonco CF

9. Pitcher

Another option is to put KJ in the 2 hole, but KJ just seems better suited to a power slot in the lineup.

As the season progresses, if Anderson or Shafer show that they can handle big-league pitching then one of them should move to leadoff. Yunel goes to the 2 hole and Kotchman drops to the 7 and Frenchy to 8 (assuming Jeff is hitting like ~.250 and on pace for 20 HRs).

frosgrim - Bobby Cox said Chipper Jones might bat 4th in the lineup to allow Griffey to bat 3rd.

That would work as well. I think they have to see who is comfortable and go with that.

To me the biggest issue, now that Grif is on board, is finding a better leadoff guy other than Yunel. Escobar seems like an ideal #2 hitter, but not a great leadoff guy. Hopefully Anderson or Shafer can take on that role and be the new Ottis Nixon for the club.

Edited by frosgrim