• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I just can't stand our offense

AtLaS

It is just brutal to watch. We ONLY go 1v1, that's all we do. Why can't we do anything else?

I just don't understand it. We had a great first quarter, and ran the PnR a few times with Bibby and Horford and man, once again Bibby was hitting Horford with great passes off of it. Horford missed the layup both times. On one of them Horford missed the layup but the lane was so wide open that Solo got the tip dunk off the miss.

2nd quarter we struggle mightily, and were lucky to only be down 9 at the half.

So, after that beautiful 12 point quarter, I'm having hope that we come out during the 3rd with some urgency and perhaps a way to get a basket. Nope. FIRST possession, we dribble the clock all the way down and Marvin ends up taking a fadeaway jumper off the dribble to beat the shot clock, brick. Meanwhile LA scores on three straight possessions. Timeout.

FIRST play out of the timeout, Bibby dribbles around for 10 seconds and is getting swarmed, so he kicks to Smith for the 20 foot jumper. Brick.

We just keep going 1 on 1 to no extent, even when it's not working. We still have the PnR just rotting on the shelf.

WTF is Woodson's role on this team? He just watches our team not box out (especially Smith) and just stands there. Or sits down with his face in his palms. We know what this team is capable of if they play with passion, and they just don't do it.

And, adding to the post, we weren't playing great offense against the Celtics in that series. We played the exact same.

We were lucky that Smith got his Reggie Miller on and was draining threes. Game 4, Bibby had the 18 point first half and JJ just went 1 on 5 and they couldn't stop him. NOTHING changed.

Our only chance to win against good teams is if we're just draining our jumpers, or all our ISOs are somehow working.

This is why we're so inconsistent from game to game.

The structure offense on this team (or lack thereof) is the single biggest issue that makes me think a change at head coach would be helpful to moving this team to the next level.

We really have three starters, Marvin, JJ, and Bibby to swing the ball around too. We also have four starters to post up down low in Smoove, JJ, Marvin, and Al; and our pick and roll is a gem we use very well but not enough.

Our defensive schemes are just as bad. Which was obvious last night as well with all those missed box outs.

It is like Woody wants us to be the old Suns (last nights Suns as well, man they looked good); but the Suns swing the ball, use switches, and post up players (Diaw for Gods sake was a good post up player on this team) as well as any team in the league.

Wanting to be and practicing to be are two different things. It is obvious when our jumpers are not falling we are not getting good coaching. And it is just as obvious on our box outs. I have always thought highly of Odum; but 20 boards is crazy.

• Premium Member
The structure offense on this team (or lack thereof) is the single biggest issue that makes me think a change at head coach would be helpful to moving this team to the next level.

You know what? I'm starting to agree that a change may be needed. We have no offensive identity. At first, I bought Woody's excuse of concentrating on the defense first and just letting the offense come. But now there's been more than enough time to come up with some competent offensive plays. I've seen nothing from this team offensively other than a player or two getting hot at different times during the game. JJ deserves some blame for his play as of late but Ican't help but feel that a player of his talent couldn't be more consistent AND efficient with some better offensive plays. Where's the pick and roll and/or guard to guard screens? Bibby and JJ could destroy teams with that. Why don't we ever utilize back cuts to get some easy baskets? Bibby's alley to Smoove when he's fronted shouldn't be just a once a week type of play. We have shooters. We have guys who can score inside. We have guys who can and SHOULD get to the line several times a night. I'm not absolving the players here, but the coach has a lot to do with our offensive woes.

Our defensive schemes are just as bad.

This is just a terrible indictment considering Woodson is supposed to be a "defensive coach". But, the fact is that we've never been in the top 15 in defensive efficiency.

I have always thought highly of Odum; but 20 boards is crazy.

This is my problem with Odom, he only plays well when he wants to. He's so inconsistent when he could be such a great player. The fact that he's never been an all-star speaks volumes as to where his head is. Relative to other 6'10+ guys in the league he probably has the best handles of all of them. He is great taking the ball to the basket, a very goo d passer and has a decent jumper. But he doesn't dominate, I just don't like players like that.

Other than the small detail that he doesn't try to install a running offense!

We don't run all the time but we are fourth in the league in fast break points per game and 5th in 3pt attempts per game. Considering we are 20th in defensive rebounds per game, the fast break points are even more impressive. Just think if we could actually box out and play fundamental basketball.

We are not the Suns but I do think Woody sees our offense that way. And no I do not see it that way....like I said earlier:

The Suns use switches, swing the ball, and post up players as well as anyone in the league; and they do it quickly. We don't even do those things well slowly....

Stats Source:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stats/?cat=team&pan=2052

Edited by Buzzard

• Moderators
We are not the Suns but I do think Woody sees our offense that way. And no I do not see it that way....

I agree we have improved fast break points and 3pt shooting this season, etc. but I don't see the offenses as remotely comparable. Anyone who would confuse our offense with the Nash/Marion/Amare era Suns has mental issues, IMO. While I think Woodson has issues, I don't think he has issues to that extent. I think you and I see this the same way, we only differ on how we think Woody views our offense vis-a-vis the fastbreak era Suns offense.

Edited by AHF

I think you and I see this the same way, we only differ on how we think Woody views our offense vis-a-vis the fastbreak era Suns offense.

I think you are right on this about how we think Woody views our offense....I am basing my opinion on what we are doing by shooting a boatload of threes and being a league leader in fast break points.

No we don't come close to getting a shot off every 8 seconds (whatever that rule was) but I do think Woody's plan is to run as much as possible after a rebound, shoot threes, and his total lack of focus on plays is what drives us all crazy.

We may agree on this:

The Sun offense is not unorganized; it only looks like it at times...our offense is unorganized at least 50% of the time and it looks like it 50% of the time.

• Moderators
We may agree on this:

The Sun offense is not unorganized; it only looks like it at times...our offense is unorganized at least 50% of the time and it looks like it the other 50% of the time.

With one small modification we are in agreement.

We don't run all the time but we are fourth in the league in fast break points per game and 5th in 3pt attempts per game. Considering we are 20th in defensive rebounds per game, the fast break points are even more impressive. Just think if we could actually box out and play fundamental basketball.

We are not the Suns but I do think Woody sees our offense that way. And no I do not see it that way....like I said earlier:

The Suns use switches, swing the ball, and post up players as well as anyone in the league; and they do it quickly. We don't even do those things well slowly....

Stats Source:

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stats/?cat=team&pan=2052

That is the only site i have seen that tracks fast break points. Thanks for the link.