• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Haynesworth to test free agency market

mattlanta

After weeks of negotiations, after hours of discussions, defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth has decided not to re-sign with the Tennessee Titans until he first tests the free-agent market, a source said Wednesday.

Thus, other teams will have the opportunity to bid for Haynesworth, who will be one of the most coveted free agents on the market.

Haynesworth still could return to Tennessee, but it will not be anytime before free agency begins Friday, Feb. 27.

A host of teams are expected to bid on Haynesworth, who is hoping to become the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history. Haynesworth’s deal could turn out to average about $12 million per year, with guaranteed money north of $30 million.

It might be Tennessee that lands him. But other teams will get their chance.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/18/hayneswort...e-agent-market/

I think there's a very good chance that the Falcons will land him.

RW

"Word in Indianapolis" is that the Falcons may be the leading contenders for free agent NT Albert Haynesworth, according to the Charlotte Observer.

Beware Saints and Panthers offensive guards. The Falcons and Bucs look to have emerged as the frontrunners to make Haynesworth the league's richest defensive lineman. His contract will likely have more years than Nnamdi Asomugha's, but probably won't trump Aso's $15.1M annual average.

It seems to me that since Jamaal Anderson is such a good run-stopper and not much of a rusher, he could be better suited playing tackle. Is there any thought from the Falcons on this? I would rather go after Peppers and move Anderson inside. Then again, Peppers looks to be franchised or traded, and I'd hate to try to trade for Peppers, which would certainly require at least a first-round pick.

Haynesworth is a great player, but the widely held concern on him is that he might mail it in after he gets his money. In that light, it's hard to justify a $13 million per year contract, especially with so much guaranteed money. On the other hand, DT is the 2nd hardest position to fill (after QB), and if he performs like he did last year, he'd give us the best DL in the NFC. Tough call, but I think history has shown that when in doubt, err on the side of frugality.

13+ mil per year is a huge chunk of the cap. Considering all the other holes the team has, I just don't see how you justify this signing. Second, the MV7 cap hit is going to occur at some point, what do the Falcons do then? Considering the cap investment in Haynesworth, plus Abe, Ryan, Turner, ect.

Haynesworth was, no doubt, a tremendous player last year, but that much cap space on a single guy that could revert back to the uninterested, boneheaded player he was makes me wonder at the wisdom of such a move.

Build through the draft and pick-up those strategic FAs. Not ones that break the bank.

Edited by frosgrim

Looks like the Falcons WILL NOT persue Haynesworth.

Falcons will not pursue Haynesworth

By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Friday, February 20, 2009

Indianapolis — Albert Haynesworth, the top defensive tackle free agent, will not be receiving a call from the Falcons.

“We are not going to be major players in free agency,” Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said Friday at the NFL scouting combine.

Are the Falcons making a mistake by "not going to be major players in free agency"?

Haynesworth has priced himself out of the Falcons neighborhood. He wants a $40 million deal that would make him the highest paid defensive linemen in the league.

“Albert Haynesworth is obviously a fine football player, but our aim is not to be major players in free agency,” Dimitroff said. “It is to continue to get back focusing on the draft.”

Dimitroff said the team’s goal is to build through the middle of the defense — through the draft.

Last season the Falcons were major players in free agency, including the signing of running back Michael Turner to a six-year, $34.5 million deal.

“Last year we made a lot of moves, a lot of commitments in free agency because we had too,” Dimitroff said. “But this year, we’ve stepped back and have analyzed the draft and feel we have the ability to get better through the draft.”

The Falcons have just over $98 million of salaries on the books, $26 million below the $124 million salary cap.

AJC Link