• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks odds and ends

DrReality

And now, with the assistance of my new executive producer, The Count (and his long lost twin from the Atlanta Spirit Group), here is this week’s Countdown (The Count. Get it? Countdown. Never mind):

10. World according to …

Josh Smith. Oy. I touched on this wonderful athlete/maroon (copyright: Bugs Bunny) in a column Sunday. Either he doesn’t realize how good he is, or he knows how good he is and he figures the rest will simply take care of itself. Either way, he’s regressing.

9. When in doubt, maul

Did you catch Smith’s act Monday night in Utah? He finished the game with 11 points (0-for-6 from the free-throw line), five rebounds and five fouls, before being ejected for a flagrant foul on Matt Harpring. In the last six games, Smith has averaged 10.8 points and 3.5 rebounds. Now, I realize not every NBA forward is capable of averaging 10.8 points and 3.5 rebounds. But I think only one of them recently signed a $58 million contract. I’m not saying it’s time for the Hawks to give up on Smith. But this is year five. We’re way past the oh-he’ll-come-around-eventually stage. Somebody needs to take a blowtorch to his butt, and quick.

8. Judge Judy would move this along

The Atlanta Spirit trial is in its second week in Maryland. Should this glorified spitting contest stretch into a third week, ownership has reached an agreement with the Cartoon Network to pick up the broadcast, just following the Thrashers’ game. Also, next week, they get to hit each other on the head with those big caveman clubs.

7. Coaching 101

Back to the Hawks: They trailed by 14 points at halftime, 22 in the third and would’ve lost by more than 19 (108-89) if not for the Jazz falling into uncontrollable laughter and hyperventilating on the court (which I believe is allowed in Salt Lake City only before 9:30, when the bars close). Question: Why did Mike Woodson put Joe Johnson back into the game with the score 93-70 in the fourth quarter? Has Johnson not quite looked worn out enough recently?

The rest did not involve the Hawks but he sure put it on the line. Bonehead moves by Smith, Woody and the ASG.

Well this should handle the other thread about the AJC not critisizing Woody and the AJC.

Hope that Schultz, Moore, and Bradly all keep the pressure on the ASG/Sund/Woody/Waddell and get the teams moving in the right direction.

Question: Why did Mike Woodson put Joe Johnson back into the game with the score 93-70 in the fourth quarter? Has Johnson not quite looked worn out enough recently?

I did not watch the game. Did this ^^^ really happen? If it did then..Wow. Please tell me some of you aren't still defending this moron? Before, I thought he was simply a below average coach, in over his head even. Now I can honesty say the man is an absolute idiot when it comes to coaching.

Keeping Woody as our coach for this long has put this franchise back farther than us passing on Deron or Paul. Woody is the real travesty here.

• Moderators
I did not watch the game. Did this ^^^ really happen? If it did then..Wow. Please tell me some of you aren't still defending this moron? Before, I thought he was simply a below average coach, in over his head even. Now I can honesty say the man is an absolute idiot when it comes to coaching.

Keeping Woody as our coach for this long has put this franchise back farther than us passing on Deron or Paul. Woody is the real travesty here.

Yes, it did happen. It was early in the fourth quarter. Nevertheless, it was a move met with...I'll politely say skepticism by those who were chatting at the time.

I watched - every bit of it. And, what was said is true. It happened.

You KNOW our coach is not going to put in the guys on the end of the bench

ant take a chance that they might get hurt or that JJ might not get enough

playing time and turn against him. Woody needs all the support he can muster.

Josh Smith is trying very hard. What he's trying to do is pave the road out of

Atlanta to somewhere else. He is paving this road with bricks from the free throw

line. His rebounding is pitiful. His slam dunks have, for the most part, became

layups. Some of these don't go down. He's still blocking shots. Instincts are

still apparently working OK, but sometimes you wonder if his thought process

is where it should be.

:sad:

I watched - every bit of it. And, what was said is true. It happened.

You KNOW our coach is not going to put in the guys on the end of the bench

ant take a chance that they might get hurt or that JJ might not get enough

playing time and turn against him. Woody needs all the support he can muster.

Josh Smith is trying very hard. What he's trying to do is pave the road out of

Atlanta to somewhere else. He is paving this road with bricks from the free throw

line. His rebounding is pitiful. His slam dunks have, for the most part, became

layups. Some of these don't go down. He's still blocking shots. Instincts are

still apparently working OK, but sometimes you wonder if his thought process

is where it should be.

:sad:

What I have said all along about Smith........all the talent in the world is no good without the brain

and heart/desire. But one part of me wonders if that ankle is still bothering him. He hasn't been the same

since that injury.