• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do we have a pg on the team?

joshuaneder

The way we play, a true PG would be useless as well as a pick and roll PG. It's combo guards are valuable for our system.

Exactly the same except Acie lacks the talent and the elite size, speed and athleticism that Roddy possesses for his position.

he sure didn't show that his first two years. Roddy could barely keep his feet and leap for the ball sometimes. Acie is one of the bigger points in the league and is faster than most too. He may not be able to hang in the air like Derrick Rose but it doesn't mean he can't be successful in this league. When Acie plays I see MENTAL problems,nothing wrong with his physical aspects. The same with Roddy,all his problems were MENTAL. Roddy showed no signs of ever being a pro-bowler early in his career and he was also a 23 year old coming out after 4 years of college.

If Roddy's atributes were so elite why were people not giving him the benefit of the doubt his first few years? I was one of the few on the Falcons board that defended him through everything. People thought his future was sealed after that drop against the Saints.

Edited by Cwell

• Premium Member
The way we play, a true PG would be useless as well as a pick and roll PG. It's combo guards are valuable for our system.

We were discussing AI over on the RealGM board. If Woodson remains the coach next season, I think they'll give AI a look.

he sure didn't show that his first two years. Roddy could barely keep his feet and leap for the ball sometimes. Acie is one of the bigger points in the league and is faster than most too. He may not be able to hang in the air like Derrick Rose but it doesn't mean he can't be successful in this league. When Acie plays I see MENTAL problems,nothing wrong with his physical aspects. The same with Roddy,all his problems were MENTAL. Roddy showed no signs of ever being a pro-bowler early in his career and he was also a 23 year old coming out after 4 years of college.

Roddy's problem was consistency with his hands his first few years. He would get open and then drop a pass right through his hands. I don't think anyone questioned whether or not he had the athleticism, speed or talent to be a great receiver.

I like Acie but I NEVER thought he was an elite level physical specimen. He has good size for a PG but it is not like he is extra strong like Billups or Baron Davis so that he can overpower smaller PGs. He is a decent athlete but even Flip at the same size is FAR more explosive. For Acie to succeed, I thought he was going to have to be a crafty player like Sam Cassell or Andre Miller but he has yet to show the craftiness of guys like that. I see very little if any similarities between his situation and Roddy's.

As a PG, he should probably be compared more to a QB than a WR anyway. Maybe we should compare him to Matt Ryan instead. Oops...

Roddy's problem was consistency with his hands his first few years. He would get open and then drop a pass right through his hands. I don't think anyone questioned whether or not he had the athleticism, speed or talent to be a great receiver.

I like Acie but I NEVER thought he was an elite level physical specimen. He has good size for a PG but it is not like he is extra strong like Billups or Baron Davis so that he can overpower smaller PGs. He is a decent athlete but even Flip at the same size is FAR more explosive. For Acie to succeed, I thought he was going to have to be a crafty player like Sam Cassell or Andre Miller but he has yet to show the craftiness of guys like that. I see very little if any similarities between his situation and Roddy's.

As a PG, he should probably be compared more to a QB than a WR anyway. Maybe we should compare him to Matt Ryan instead. Oops...

uh MENTAL. Roddy couldn't even run routes,he didn't even know to come back to the ball. He had a coach that ran the ball almost every down and when they didn't Vick ran because Knapp only had the WR's run a go route or a "run up to the db and just turn around" route. He barely got chances to catch the ball so his confidence fell and his hands went with it. Petrino came in and immediately handed him a starting job and had loads of balls thrown his way in the off-season and pre-season. Roddy didn't even really start to break out till week 3.

As for Acie his problems are mental,therefore him missing jumpers left and right. and he also doesn't have a coach that gets the best out of him just like Mora,Knapp with Roddy and every other WR. Roddy ran block and dropped balls. Acie passes it to another guy and misses shots.

U could see Roddy's swagger start growing in his 3rd year and just started showing out. That vet swagger Acie had early in his rookie year is gone and he hasn't had the chances on the floor to get it back yet.

and even if he isn't an elite athlete he still should not be looking as bad as he has at times and everybody should know that.

Edited by Cwell

uh MENTAL. Roddy couldn't even run routes,he didn't even know to come back to the ball. He had a coach that ran the ball almost every down and when they didn't Vick ran because Knapp only had the WR's run a go route or a "run up to the db and just turn around" route. He barely got chances to catch the ball so his confidence fell and his hands went with it. Petrino came in and immediately handed him a starting job and had loads of balls thrown his way in the off-season and pre-season. Roddy didn't even really start to break out till week 3.

As for Acie his problems are mental,therefore him missing jumpers left and right. and he also doesn't have a coach that gets the best out of him just like Mora,Knapp with Roddy and every other WR. Roddy ran block and dropped balls. Acie passes it to another guy and misses shots.

U could see Roddy's swagger start growing in his 3rd year and just started showing out. That vet swagger Acie had early in his rookie year is gone and he hasn't had the chances on the floor to get it back yet.

and even if he isn't an elite athlete he still should not be looking as bad as he has at times and everybody should know that.

Man, I admire your support. As probably DerMarr Johnson's #1 fan, I know what it feels like to constantly defend a guy who isn't producing anywhere close to the level that his draft position suggests that he should produce. I truly hope Acie proves his doubters wrong just as I hate the fact that DerMarr's accident robbed him of his chance to prove the doubters wrong. I don't see the talent in Acie that you see but that certainly doesn't mean that he can't be a good PG in this league one day. We shall see...