Cassel to the Chiefs

mattlanta

Chiefs acquired Matt Cassel and Mike Vrabel in exchange for the 34th overall pick in the 2009 draft pick. If that really is the case (I heard reports earlier that Vrabel alone cost the Chiefs multiple draft picks), this was a huge steal by the Chiefs. Kudos to Scott Pioli for making a bold yet smart move.

I don't know. Vrabel is a good all-around football player. Solid defensive veteran, excellent special teams player, versatile player on offense (can be a gadget player like he was in New England as a blocking / receiving tight end). I think it was a steal. Cassel proved that he can be a starter in this league even when he had little to no help on the ground from his running backs. There's no reason why he can't be successful even if the Chiefs only have Bowe - who I believe would be an elite quarterback if he was just provided a better quarterback and this may be the QB he's been waiting for.

I don't know. Vrabel is a good all-around football player. Solid defensive veteran, excellent special teams player, versatile player on offense (can be a gadget player like he was in New England as a blocking / receiving tight end). I think it was a steal. Cassel proved that he can be a starter in this league even when he had little to no help on the ground from his running backs. There's no reason why he can't be successful even if the Chiefs only have Bowe - who I believe would be an elite quarterback if he was just provided a better quarterback and this may be the QB he's been waiting for.

+1

I think you meant Bowe would be a better wide receiver, not QB, and you're right.

GREAT move by the Chiefs.

• Moderators

ESPN was reporting that the Pats turned down a 3 way deal where Cassel would have gone to Denver, Cutler to Tampa and the 12th overall pick to NE. If true, hard to believe they turned down a #12 pick for a second rounder.

• Moderators

Heard an analysis on this from ESPN's Mike Smith this morning that made my brain hurt. He argued that the second round pick may have been the better choice for NE because they may not have wanted to pay the salary of a first rounder. This ignores the fact that you could easily trade the #12 overall pick for something like Detroit's second rounder and a 2010 4th rounder - i.e., clearly better value with roughly the same economics.

I look forward to next hearing Mike Smith's argument why a 10 dollar bill is worse than 5 singles next because you can't use the ten dollar bill in a snack machine (ignoring the fact that you can convert the 10 dollar bill into 10 singles).