• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David Andersen vs. Zaza Pachulia

mrhonline

• Premium Member

I'm just sitting around waiting for the game to start, and thought it worth the time to discuss this one again.

It's my understanding that David Andersen has an opt-out in his contract for this summer, and since he's still producing solidly for Barcelona, you gotta think Sund is at least interested.

My question to you is which big man would you rather have for the next few years - Zaza -or- Andersen? You know what you're getting with Zaza - good offensive rebounding, decent (by today's standards) post scoring, poor defense, mediocre defensive rebounding, no passing, and little range. With Andersen, you'll likely have about the same def. rebounding and defense, and see a dip in offensive rebounding. On the other hand, the passing, bball IQ, and range would be better. Their heights are about the same, but I do believe Zaza wears his weight a little wider. (Andersen is reportedly more athletic).

Using Hollinger's general model for projecting Euroleague stats to the NBA, Andersen's stats would resemble something like the following in the 20 minutes/game that Zaza gets:

8/5 with 0.48 eFG% and 83% FT shooting. His PER projects to around 14.6.

Compare that to Zaza's:

~7/6 with 0.49 eFG% and 71% FT shooting. His PER is 14.4.

In other words, Andersen would likely have about the same effect on the game as Zaza, just in different aspects. Andersen is older (29 in June) than Zaza (25?), but both players are basically finished products at this point. (I plugged Andersen's stats into basketball-ref for similar players and got, unsurprisingly, a list of players like Troy Murphy, Rasheed Wallace, Mehmet Okur, and Matt Bonner. You're not working with a big list of players when you look for bigs with perimeter range. Bonner is probably the closest talent-wise, although he's probably a better NBA 3pt. shooter and worse post scorer than David Andersen).

Would you go with Zaza or Anderson? There is, of course, the 3rd option of going with neither, but there doesn't appear to be many big men available either in FA or in the draft that would help.

Andersen is the easy call. If they aren't going to bring him over now then when will they do it?

Having a guy who can bring opposing centers out of the lane will make it easier for other guys to get to the basket.

We already know Zaza isn't going to cut it.

• Premium Member
I'm just sitting around waiting for the game to start, and thought it worth the time to discuss this one again.

It's my understanding that David Andersen has an opt-out in his contract for this summer, and since he's still producing solidly for Barcelona, you gotta think Sund is at least interested.

My question to you is which big man would you rather have for the next few years - Zaza -or- Andersen? You know what you're getting with Zaza - good offensive rebounding, decent (by today's standards) post scoring, poor defense, mediocre defensive rebounding, no passing, and little range. With Andersen, you'll likely have about the same def. rebounding and defense, and see a dip in offensive rebounding. On the other hand, the passing, bball IQ, and range would be better. Their heights are about the same, but I do believe Zaza wears his weight a little wider. (Andersen is reportedly more athletic).

Using Hollinger's general model for projecting Euroleague stats to the NBA, Andersen's stats would resemble something like the following in the 20 minutes/game that Zaza gets:

Compare that to Zaza's:

In other words, Andersen would likely have about the same effect on the game as Zaza, just in different aspects. Andersen is older (29 in June) than Zaza (25?), but both players are basically finished products at this point. (I plugged Andersen's stats into basketball-ref for similar players and got, unsurprisingly, a list of players like Troy Murphy, Rasheed Wallace, Mehmet Okur, and Matt Bonner. You're not working with a big list of players when you look for bigs with perimeter range. Bonner is probably the closest talent-wise, although he's probably a better NBA 3pt. shooter and worse post scorer than David Andersen).

Would you go with Zaza or Anderson? There is, of course, the 3rd option of going with neither, but there doesn't appear to be many big men available either in FA or in the draft that would help.

I think Zaza. Zaza has played US competition and we know what his flaws are... Plus, he won't demand so much.

While Andersen touts to be a tougher Euro player, that has yet to be seen against US players.

Zaza does not have poor defense this year. It is average if not slightly above. Just look at his stats for defensive impact, they are consistently up this year from previous years.

Hollinger is horrible with projections, I wouldn't take those numbers for anything.

Compare that to Zaza's:

Well, I've seen at least 50 games with DA in them (CSKA Moscow, and from this year Barcelona - both Euro powerhouses) over the last 4-5 years... He's more athletic than Zaza, has great range on his shot (easily hits Euro-threes), he's good with his back to the basket (has few good moves, hook shot to the right and fadeaway J's from both sides)... DA can run the floor very well and he's got above-average BBall IQ... He is very experienced, as he played top level Euro basketball leagues and competitions for years now... and won BTW...

I think he would help Hawks for sure! There's no doubt in my mind... Hawks don't have this type of a big, and I'm sure he would create a lot of trouble for defenders... However, I think he feels very comfortable in Europe, and he is in that stage of his career, where I'm not so sure he would welcome a challenge... Perhaps that's the reason why he isn't wearing our uniform...