• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How does Horf and Smoove rank as a front court tandem?

Diesel

How does Horf and Smoove rank as a frontcourt.  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

From Sekou:

As frontcourt tandems go, Smith and Horford are as good as it gets when they’re at their best.

“We just play well together,” Smith said. “When Al first got here last year it was like we’d played together since my rookie year. We just clicked. And lately it’s been a beautiful thing to see with both of us doing our thing at the same time.”

Smith is averaging 16.6 points, 10.0 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 1.8 blocks and just 1.8 turnovers during this current run. Horford is averaging 13.2 points, 10.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 1.6 blocks and 1.0 turnover.

Knowing how to operate in the same space alongside another talented player comes easy to Horford. He played with Chicago center Joakim Noah at Florida, winning back-to-back NCAA Tournament titles while forming one of the most formidable frontcourt duos in college basketball history.

“It’s about having good chemistry,” Horford said. “In Josh’s situation, he always tries to make people around him better. And there are some nights where I might have it going as far as getting rebounds. And you can see him shying off a little bit in that area. And if he has it going scoring, I’ll back out a little. It’s really all about balance and really just playing for the team.”

With starting small forward Marvin Williams out indefinitely with a lower back injury, the Hawks need everything Smith and Horford can provide.

“They couldn’t have come on at a better time with us being shorthanded,” Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. “Those two guys have stepped in and played their tails off and it has to stay that way. Because it gives you people up front that do all the necessary things to help you win. And that’s rebounding, defending, blocking shots and just plugging that hole. The scoring is extra.

In 2008-2009, can you find tandems better than Al, Smoove at the 5,4?

From Sekou:

In 2008-2009, can you find tandems better than Al, Smoove at the 5,4?

In the context of 2008-2009 I'd take

Garnett/Perkins

Bargnani/Bosh

Ilgauskus/James

Howard/Lewis

Bynum/Gasol

O'Neal/Stoudamire

Yao/Artest

Chandler/West (borderline)

Duncan/Whomever they start next to him

Jefferson/Love

Sekou's trying to sell internet hits

• Premium Member
In the context of 2008-2009 I'd take

Garnett/Perkins

Bargnani/Bosh

Ilgauskus/James

Howard/Lewis

Bynum/Gasol

O'Neal/Stoudamire

Yao/Artest

Jefferson/Love

Sekou's trying to sell internet hits

Uhm.. we're talking PF/C combo...

Garnett/Perkins

Bargnani/Bosh

Ilgauskus/James

Howard/Lewis

Bynum/Gasol

O'Neal/Stoudamire

Yao/Artest

Jefferson/Love

so now we're working with:

Garnett/Perkins

Bargnani/Bosh

Bynum/Gasol

O'Neal/Stoudamire

Jefferson/Love

If I were to get out my ranking system:

Oneal/Stoudamire = ~39/17

Jefferson/Love = ~36/19

Barganani/Bosh = 37/16

Okur/Boozer = ~34/19

Bynum Gasol = ~33/18

Chandler/West = ~29/18

Duncan/Bonner = ~28/15

DIrk/Damp =~30/15

Smoove/Horf = ~27/16

Garnett/Perkins = ~25/17

Garnett/Perkins

Bargnani/Bosh

Ilgauskus/James

Howard/Lewis

Bynum/Gasol

O'Neal/Stoudamire

Yao/Artest

Jefferson/Love

so now we're working with:

Garnett/Perkins

Bargnani/Bosh

Bynum/Gasol

O'Neal/Stoudamire

Jefferson/Love

If I were to get out my ranking system:

Jefferson/Love = ~36/19

Barganani/Bosh = 37/16

Okur/Boozer = ~34/19

Bynum Gasol = ~33/18

Chandler/West = ~29/18

Duncan/Bonner = ~28/15

DIrk/Damp =~30/15

Smoove/Horf = ~27/16

Garnett/Perkins = ~25/17

When you also consider what they bring defensively, I think you can boost them up a few more notches.

Jefferson/Love is a nice young tandem. Buy stock in the T-wolves.....if they can find a good point they will be trouble soon.

A healthy Bynum paired with Gasol has to be #1. Those two would destroy Horford and Josh down low both offensively and defensively. The only chance our two would have would be in fast break situations. They could beat them up and down the court but in a half court game, they wouldn't have much of a chance.

• Premium Member
A healthy Bynum paired with Gasol has to be #1. Those two would destroy Horford and Josh down low both offensively and defensively. The only chance our two would have would be in fast break situations. They could beat them up and down the court but in a half court game, they wouldn't have much of a chance.

Uhm... a healthy Amare/Shaq would be better than Bynum/Gasol...

I think you overate Gasol/Bynum. Gasol's defense is suspect and Gasol is not so physical.

Well here's how I look at it. On the balance of 08/09, they haven't been particularly special because Smith was in a funk (just like I don't think our backcourt has been particularly special because of Joe's funk). However, when they are playing like they are playing now, they make the team go. Sekou has a definite point. If they are both rebounding like they can, they bring an element that no other team can match in terms of being able to guard so much of the floor at once as well as grab the boards. Offensively, they're just too good in transition for other teams to handle.

When Josh is dogging it and Al is being too timid, they're average.

• Moderators

Garnett/Perkins

Bargnani/Bosh

Ilgauskus/James

Howard/Lewis

Bynum/Gasol

O'Neal/Stoudamire

Yao/Artest

Jefferson/Love

The Howard/Lewis combo is legit. Lewis is the PF for the Magic this season. Turk plays the SF, their rookie is playing SG, and they have Rafer at PG.

I would include the Howard/Lewis combo as superior.

Agreed that Lebron and Artest aren't really playing primarily power forward this year, though.

The Howard/Lewis combo is legit. Lewis is the PF for the Magic this season. Turk plays the SF, their rookie is playing SG, and they have Rafer at PG.

Agreed that Lebron and Artest aren't really playing primarily power forward this year, though.

D. Howard can be paired with anyone at PF and it's arguable that they're the best combo. He's that dominant. Hedo, Battie, Lewis, Cook, any of those guys. Howard is that good. 28 and 20 last night.

• Moderators
D. Howard can be paired with anyone at PF and it's arguable that they're the best combo. He's that dominant. Hedo, Battie, Lewis, Cook, any of those guys. Howard is that good. 28 and 20 last night.

Yep. I think that is basically what the earlier poster said about Duncan as well and both of those are true. Pairing those guys with a warm body gets you high on the list.

• Moderators
Artest is 260 - 270 lbs.

He can play PF.

However if you want to argue semantics....

I don't think it is about semantics as much as where guys actually play. Scola is the PF on the Rockets. Artest plays 7% of the minutes at PF and a majority of the minutes at SF according to 82games:

http://www.82games.com/0809/08HOU9.HTM#bypos (7% of the time at PF played by Artest; 46% of the minutes for Scola; 39% for Landry)

Hence, while I agree that Artest is much stronger and a better fit at PF than Lewis, Lewis actually plays that position while Artest plays there less than Marvin.

http://www.82games.com/0809/08ORL11.HTM#bypos (71% of time at PF played by Lewis)

So I go with the guys who are actually playing the 4 rather than guys who can play the position. For the first half of this season, for example, JJ is a SG, not a SF.

• Premium Member

I thought Hedo was the PF, but if Lewis is legit, you got something. Maybe I will add a few more.

• Premium Member

Howard/Lewis = ~39/20

Jefferson/Love = ~36/19

Barganani/Bosh = 37/16

Okur/Boozer = ~34/19

Yao/Scola = ~33/19

Bynum Gasol = ~33/18

Chandler/West = ~29/18

Duncan/Bonner = ~28/15

DIrk/Damp =~30/15

Okafor/Diaw =~29/16

Smoove/Horf = ~27/16

Garnett/Perkins = ~25/17

Dalembert/Young =~21/19

Pryz/Aldridge=~24/16

Green/Collison =~25/14

BigZ/Varejao = ~22/15

Lopez/Yi = ~22/14

Gasol/Arthur = ~18/12

Noah/Thomas =~16/14

I think top ten is fair and the way they played tonight they solidified their position.

5 games is a poor sample size but man, over the past 5 games we have Josh doing 17-9.6-2.8-1.4-1 and Al doing 14.2-10.4-3.2-1.6-1.2 (and both are shooting +50% from the field).

Not bad.