Rick Sund on 680 the Fan/Rude Awakening

khaos7

Here are highlights from Rick Sund's interview on 680:

1) He kept Woody for continuity and believe he made the right choice (ugh)

2) He still believes the team has a lot of growing within (Horford, Smith and Marvin still improving)

3) Joe said this is the happiest he's ever been playing basketball

4) Bibby/Flip/Mo coming to Hawks have been good for Hawks...also, it's been good for their career

5) Josh/Woody deal blown out of proportion. He said blow ups happen, but they have to learn to keep it in house

6) His projection for the team at this stage was to have a winning record at home and win 15-17 games on the road. He's happy where we are, but wants to reach the 17 game goal. He said the elite teams win 20+ on the road. Solid playoff teams win 15-17. He believes we are in that playoff bracket.

7) Said tough decisions in Free Agency are ahead. He said due to the economy, the salary cap will be down and the luxury tax will too. He said he can't go into specifics, but they have to "slice the pie" in a way where they can have depth. He also said (in general terms) you may be better off letting talent go to get a superstar. He said this team has good chemistry.

8) Said he shouldn't get the bulk of the credit for what the Hawks are doing. He said the pieces were in place. However the Hawks specifically got him, so he could "connect the dots" on the team. He also acknowledged he was not the first choice of the Hawks.

9) Talked about understanding opposing teams will get calls on their home court. However, he is concerned when refs gives calls to opposing players in Phillips Arena (mentioned Lebron's game at Phillip's where we lost by a point for an example.)

10) He didn't know if our magic number is 1 or 2 games. He says you have to take into consideration tie breakers, etc. He said it wasn't an exact science.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, I don't think he's a genius or anything, but he's definitely better with the media than BK was. He says the right things.

I agree. He's more engaging and doesn't act as if he has some CIA/top level secrets he's keeping confidential. I think this coming offseason, we'll really get a chance to see what he's capable of, provide ownership doesn't stand in the way.

• Premium Member
Look, I don't think he's a genius or anything, but he's definitely better with the media than BK was. He says the right things.

BK was over after the Chris Paul thing. Before that he was OK. Now he was never much of a communicator but the media was cool with him at first. Sund is a more likable guy but give this town time and hate will come. Remember how everyone was on Rich McKay's nuts at first?

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member
1) He kept Woody for continuity and believe he made the right choice (ugh)

He's right. It was the right choice. The Hawks needed continuity and he needed time to evaluate Woodson.

I still say that Woodson's long-term future will be determined by his playoff success this year (i.e., a second round berth).

2) He still believes the team has a lot of growing within (Horford, Smith and Marvin still improving)

Yep. I feel strongly that one of Horford/Smith will have to go, but not for at least 1.5 years. That will give you a ton of time to evaluate them both.

3) Joe said this is the happiest he's ever been playing basketball

Sign an extension, Joe!

4) Bibby/Flip/Mo coming to Hawks have been good for Hawks...also, it's been good for their career

Yes, but both Bibby and Flip are up vs. a tough market this summer.

5) Josh/Woody deal blown out of proportion. He said blow ups happen, but they have to learn to keep it in house

Don't really care. It's about what happens on the court.

6) His projection for the team at this stage was to have a winning record at home and win 15-17 games on the road. He's happy where we are, but wants to reach the 17 game goal. He said the elite teams win 20+ on the road. Solid playoff teams win 15-17. He believes we are in that playoff bracket.

He agrees with me then. :)

Next year's goal should be a .500 road winning % and the conf. finals.

7) Said tough decisions in Free Agency are ahead. He said due to the economy, the salary cap will be down and the luxury tax will too. He said he can't go into specifics, but they have to "slice the pie" in a way where they can have depth. He also said (in general terms) you may be better off letting talent go to get a superstar. He said this team has good chemistry.

Uh, to beat Diesel to the punch, that makes me think he's talking about Marvin. It definitely means Childress is out...

8) Said he shouldn't get the bulk of the credit for what the Hawks are doing. He said the pieces were in place. However the Hawks specifically got him, so he could "connect the dots" on the team. He also acknowledged he was not the first choice of the Hawks.

Humility. How refreshing.

9) Talked about understanding opposing teams will get calls on their home court. However, he is concerned when refs gives calls to opposing players in Phillips Arena (mentioned Lebron's game at Phillip's where we lost by a point for an example.)

Me, too. D-Whistle's black-and-white friends could easily cost the Hawks the first round series...

10) He didn't know if our magic number is 1 or 2 games. He says you have to take into consideration tie breakers, etc. He said it wasn't an exact science.

Bottom line - a win tomorrow night and the Hawks are in.

Also to add to the post, he did mention that due to economics, you'd see more players taking mid level exceptions (Bibby?). He spoke about Acie Law. He said people come down hard on guys like Law because they have the phrase "lottery pick" added to their names. He said if guys who are labeled "lottery picks" don't turn out to be superstars they are labeled as bust. He said, in the past, if you were at pick 11 for example and turned out to be a solid bench contributor, you were fine in the public's view. However, he said that perception has changed. He said Acie was the team's best on ball defender at the point and does know he belongs in the league. He said the question of whether he's a starter or not remains unknown and referenced Devin Harris's transition from Dallas to NJ, role player to All Star.

7) Said tough decisions in Free Agency are ahead. He said due to the economy, the salary cap will be down and the luxury tax will too. He said he can't go into specifics, but they have to "slice the pie" in a way where they can have depth.

I think the economic situation makes it more likely that the Hawks will keep their first rounder rather than trading it for a vet. Rookie contracts are cheap and if the Hawks can get a productive player at 19 that will be a big help in terms of the cap.

I think the economic situation makes it more likely that the Hawks will keep their first rounder rather than trading it for a vet. Rookie contracts are cheap and if the Hawks can get a productive player at 19 that will be a big help in terms of the cap.

Perhaps. Although I did hear him on Pollack and Bell (a week or so ago maybe) say that last year, had they retained their pick, they would have considered trading it for a vet and that remains a distinct possibility this year. Unfortunately, 790 didn't post when he was on their afternoon show, so I can't provide a link to refer back to.

Keeping Woody for continuity purposes is the right call. He wasn't going to state that he's a tremendous coach and we're lucky to have him!! Despite Woody's downfalls, he deserved a shot at being good and has earned the right to take this team to the playoffs again and see what we can do.

Perhaps. Although I did hear him on Pollack and Bell (a week or so ago maybe) say that last year, had they retained their pick, they would have considered trading it for a vet and that remains a distinct possibility this year. Unfortunately, 790 didn't post when he was on their afternoon show, so I can't provide a link to refer back to.

Last year the economy wasn't in the toilet.

Thanks for sharing the insite.

He gives good interviews and is good with reporters except for his slight stutter that was apparent in earlier interviews.

All in all, I like the guy as our GM.

Bibby for the midlevel exception would be sweet ! That may be possible if his defense is exposed in the playoffs when all eyes are watching.

I like this statement: "He said he can't go into specifics, but they have to "slice the pie" in a way where they can have depth. He also said (in general terms) you may be better off letting talent go to get a superstar. He said this team has good chemistry."

The above statement is was really got me thinking. I wonder what his Plan A and B are. It sounds like he has some things in the works for the future. For a moment he sounds like he would give up 3 solid guys ("Talent") for a superstar and then says the team has good chemistry..........which leads me to believe he may stand pat. Is he playing politics ?

I need to go to 680 web site b/c I really want to hear how he phrased those thoughts.

Edited by coachx

He gives good interviews and is good with reporters except for his slighrt stutter.

Bibby for the midlevel exception would be sweet ! That may be possible if his defense is exposed in the playoffs when all eyes are watching.

I like this statement: "He said he can't go into specifics, but they have to "slice the pie" in a way where they can have depth. He also said (in general terms) you may be better off letting talent go to get a superstar. He said this team has good chemistry."

The above statement it was really got me thinking. I wonder what his Plan A and B are. It sounds like he has some things in the works for the future. For a moment he sounds like he would give up 3 solid guys ("Talent") for a superstar and then says the team has good chemistry..........which leads me to believe he may stand pat. Is he playing politics ?

I need to go to 680 web site b/c I really want to hear how he phrased those thoughts.

I hope they post it soon. I think everyone should hear it. It was really long interview and I believe they covered alot. He's very open and realistic in his expectations. I also feel we got a sneak peak at how negotiations will go. Just me thinking: Flip wants a contract. He may say, "I brought X, Y, and Z to the table; I want more money." Sund may counter, "You never brought X Y and Z to the table before this year. However, I agree you deserve more money, just not the amount you're asking for."

He gives good interviews and is good with reporters except for his slighrt stutter.

The above statement it was really got me thinking. I wonder what his Plan A and B are. It sounds like he has some things in the works for the future. For a moment he sounds like he would give up 3 solid guys ("Talent") for a superstar and then says the team has good chemistry..........which leads me to believe he may stand pat. Is he playing politics ?

Yeah, I think there was so "politicking" going on. I think he's leaving our options open, and he wants the team to know it. We do have young pieces that may entice other teams. If a superstar "big" became available, I can see us parting with Marv, Acie, the rights to Chillz..

This free agency period scares me. We've got a team that needs to add pieces in order to contend, and yet we've got two key pieces who will be unrestricted free agents (Zaza and Bibby), and two more who are restricted free agents (Marvin and Flip). That's exactly half the players in our typical 8-man rotation that we have to make a decision about.

As if that wasn't dangerous enough, we've got to decide what to do with Josh Childress. We can either renounce his rights and lose his cap hold (gaining cap space but losing value), or trade his rights to try to get some value in return, or we can attempt to bring him back. Ideally, you'd like to bring him back because he adds a couple things to the roster we don't have and we DO need to add some pieces, but he's too expensive and would give us a big cap hit.

And to top it off, we need to keep in mind that Joe Johnson is a free agent in 2010, when every team in the league is going to have open cap space. We could potentially lose his services and then not have enough cap space in order to get another player in here anywhere near his value. Our ownership can't afford a bidding for Joe Johnson, they're already bleeding money this season.

This free agency period scares me. We've got a team that needs to add pieces in order to contend, and yet we've got two key pieces who will be unrestricted free agents (Zaza and Bibby), and two more who are restricted free agents (Marvin and Flip). That's exactly half the players in our typical 8-man rotation that we have to make a decision about.

As if that wasn't dangerous enough, we've got to decide what to do with Josh Childress. We can either renounce his rights and lose his cap hold (gaining cap space but losing value), or trade his rights to try to get some value in return, or we can attempt to bring him back. Ideally, you'd like to bring him back because he adds a couple things to the roster we don't have and we DO need to add some pieces, but he's too expensive and would give us a big cap hit.

And to top it off, we need to keep in mind that Joe Johnson is a free agent in 2010, when every team in the league is going to have open cap space. We could potentially lose his services and then not have enough cap space in order to get another player in here anywhere near his value. Our ownership can't afford a bidding for Joe Johnson, they're already bleeding money this season.

Honestly, I'd make the decision on Joe first. I know his contract is up after 2010. However, decide know, in all likelihood, will you keep him. If so, start negotiations now and let the trickle down effect take place.

• Premium Member
you may be better off letting talent go to get a superstar.

In terms of getting a superstar.. What does he mean? What superstars are going to be available:

Nash?

Kidd?

Artest?

Iverson?

Sheed?

Actually, I don't think too hard about any of those guys. Maybe he's talking trading for a Superstar. As I think of that, My mind rolls automatically to Shaq!! Phoenix will not pay 20 Million for Shaq and not be in the playoffs. However, Shaq in Atlanta would be a great fit. Even if he only plays 20 mpg and gives us 67 games but plays in the playoffs. Having an established Big to play besides Horf and provide a true middle will make this team hard to beat. Especially if we can resign Zaza.

There's also Bosh and Okafor.

Is Flip really a RFA after signing only a 1 year deal with us ? If he is restricted that is SWEET !

With JJ being up in 2010 and Horford is up in 2011. That makes the off season complicated to figure.