• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What we can do in FA (REALISTICALLY SPEAKING)

coachx

Hawks Salary reference from the top of the home page.

So with the Jamal Crawford, the addition of the pick #19 salary (Teague), and the subtraction of Law and Speedy's contracts our current salary looks approximately like this:

$42,586,000

What free agent possibilities can become reality using this number, with cap holds of FAs and empty roster spots, and a $58 mill salary cap in mind and a luxury tax of around $69 mill ?

I would attempt to keep the team together and resign the FA's included with our current roster below. All players not in the list would be renounced (including the rights to Chillz if they cannot be traded).

1. $14,976,754 Joe Jonhson

2. $10,800,000 Josh Smith

3. $8,000,000 Jamal Crawford

4. $8,000,000 Marvin Williams

5. $7,000,000 Mike Bibby

6. $5,500,000 ZaZa

7. $4,307,640 Al Horford

8. $2,500,000 Maurice Evans

9. $1,144,900 Jeff Teague

10. $855,189 Randolph Morris

11. $457,588 Roster Charge

12. $457,588 Roster Charge

= $64,999,659

That number is above the cap, which we can do to resign our own free agents. It is also below the luxury tax thresh-hold so it should fit the budget.

Do the Hawks have all or part of the MLE to throw at FA big (Gortat, Gooden, Wilcox) or David Anderson ?

Is the mid-level exception excluded from the luxury tax ?

Edited by coachx

So with the Jamal Crawford, the addition of the pick #19 salary (Teague), and the subtraction of Law and Speedy's contracts our current salary looks approximately like this:

$42,586,000

What free agent possibilities can become reality using this number, with cap holds of FAs and empty roster spots, and a $58 mill salary cap in mind and a luxury tax of around $69 mill ?

I would attempt to keep the team together and resign the FA's included with our current roster below. All players not in the list would be renounced (including the rights to Chillz if they cannot be traded).

3. $8,000,000 Jamal Crawford

5. $7,000,000 Mike Bibby

6. $5,500,000 ZaZa

7. $4,307,640 Al Horford

9. $1,144,900 Jeff Teague

= $64,999,659

That number is above the cap, which we can do to resign our own free agents. It is also below the luxury tax thresh-hold so it should fit the budget.

Do the Hawks have all or part of the MLE to throw at FA big (Gortat, Gooden, Wilcox) or David Anderson ?

Is the mid-level exception excluded from the luxury tax ?

Jamal Crawford's salary is 9.4M and teague will make 1.4M. I posted yesterday that we spent $67M last year, and would expect to meet that again, maybe even exceed it a bit.

I think we will resign Marvin and ZaZa, and do it cheaply. Flip and Bibby will walk. Would love to bring over DA. I also expect a veteran PG to be signed to a lower contract, one who can play a little defense and pass a bit.

I think Mario will be back since there is room. Don't know about Solo? We may well sign Alade Aminu instead. I'd like either Solo or Aminu on the roster.

It doesn't look like we can afford to bring back Childress at this point.

I don't see the logic of keeping together a badly undersized front line that gets killed on the defensive glass. The NBA champs have a very tall front line and led the league in defensive rebounding.

We need a legit center with size who can play D and rebound. This is a recording.

One thing I noticed from the draft is that the Bucks took a PG. This seems to indicate that they will be letting Ramon Sessions walk. Hawks still have a shot at getting him instead of Bibby.

I agree the Hawks need a legit defensive/rebounding center.

Jamal Crawford's salary is 9.4M and teague will make 1.4M. I posted yesterday that we spent $67M last year, and would expect to meet that again, maybe even exceed it a bit.

Thanks for the corrections on the salaries. I was using our salary refence thread for Teague's salary. Shamsports.com does have Crawford making $9.36 mill next year and $10.08 mill in 10-11.

We do not know what the luxury tax threshold is yet. If it is under $67 mill then we may cut salary a little bit. 95% of owners do not want to pay luxury tax.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators
Is the MLE excluded from the luxury tax ?

No. All salary counts towards the luxury tax whether on MLE, LLE or any other type of contract. No exceptions of which I am aware for players on your roster.

$42,586,000

3. $9,360,000 Jamal Crawford (corrected)

5. $7,000,000 Mike Bibby

6. $5,500,000 ZaZa

7. $4,307,640 Al Horford

9. $1,400,000 Jeff Teague (corrected)

= $ 65,615,359 (corrected)

Corrected salaries of Teague and Crawford.

I don't see the logic of keeping together a badly undersized front line that gets killed on the defensive glass. The NBA champs have a very tall front line and led the league in defensive rebounding.

We need a legit center with size who can play D and rebound. This is a recording.

To get a big in FA using more the the MLE this is what would have to happen:

Renounce Bibby, Marvin, Chillz, Flip, ZaZa, and everyone else.

3. $9,360,000 Jamal Crawford

4. $4,307,640 Al Horford

5. $2,500,000 Maurice Evans

6. $1,400,000 Jeff Teague

7. $855,189 Randolph Morris

8. $457,588 Roster Charge

9. $457,588 Roster Charge

10. $457,588 Roster Charge

Total salary of $45,572,347

About $11 mill under the cap once you renounce rights to all of our the FAs, including Chillz.

We would have $11 mill and the MLE to fill out the roster with 5 players.

Let me know if I made a mistake.

I think we will resign Marvin and ZaZa, and do it cheaply. Flip and Bibby will walk. Would love to bring over DA. I also expect a veteran PG to be signed to a lower contract, one who can play a little defense and pass a bit.

I think Mario will be back since there is room. Don't know about Solo? We may well sign Alade Aminu instead. I'd like either Solo or Aminu on the roster.

It doesn't look like we can afford to bring back Childress at this point.

Some team is going to offer ZaZa the MLE. It is going to take $5.5 mill to $6 mill to keep him.

Marvin's 1 year qualifying offer is over $7.5 mill, so it will take more then that to sign him longterm but for the sake of arguement lets say we get Marvin for $7.5 mill and ZaZa for $5.5 mill.............this is how free agency would play out in reality

3. $9,360,000 Jamal Crawford

4. $7,500,000 Marvin Williams

5. $5,500,000 ZaZa Pauchulia

6. $4,307,640 Al Horford

7. $2,500,000 Maurice Evans

8. $1,400,000 Jeff Teague

9. $855,189 Randolph Morris

10. $457,588 Roster Charge

Total salary of $57,172.347

That number is is right at the salary cap.

We would only have the MLE to sign other teams FA. We could use the MLE on a Big or on a PG or split it up bewteen the two.

I would rather keep Bibby since we can over the cap to sign him, and use the MLE on a big like Gooden, Gortat, or Wilcox.

Edited by coachx

Prz signed for the MLE and there is a chance we could get Gortat for the MLE.

He will have 5 teams offering him their full MLE.

Gortat could to a team that wants to use him as a starter (Detroit maybe ?)

Or

He could go to the Spurs and start by Tim Duncan and win a championship.

I don't see us winning the Gortat sweepstakes.

I think we should nail ZaZa ASAP b/c the losers in the Gortat sweeptstakes will target ZaZa once Gortat makes his decision.

Edited by coachx

He will have 5 teams offering him their full MLE.

He could to a team that wants to use him as a starter (Detroit maybe ?)

Or

He could go to the Spurs and start by Tim Duncan and win a championship.

I don't see us winning the Gortat sweepstakes.

I think we should nail ZaZa ASAP b/c the losers in the Gortat sweeptstakes will target ZaZa once Gortat makes his decision.

That is just speculation. What isn't speculation is that we definitely won't get him if we don't make an offer.

Edited by exodus

• Moderators
That is just speculation. What isn't speculation is that we definitely won't get him if we don't make an offer.

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Come after Gorat with a quick MLE offer and simultaneously come to Zaza and try to get that done. If you end up with both, kudos!

The two aren't mutually exclusive. Come after Gorat with a quick MLE offer and simultaneously come to Zaza and try to get that done. If you end up with both, kudos!

Exactly !

Like Kenny Smith said: " You can never have too many bigs in the NBA. That would be like have too may $100 bills in your pocket."

Edited by coachx