I know I'm the only one.

Diesel

• Premium Member
I think he has star quality but I don't know about starting by Feb. Would love to see him blossom that fast.

PGs are developing fast these days:

Paul, Rose, Augustin, Foe, Westbrook... these are all guys who came in and picked it up...

One thing I know about Teague. IF all we are doing is running isolation.. this kid will pick that up before November 20th. That's all they did at Wake under Gadio. Gadio is like Woody Jr. Honestly, Teague would have been much better under the coach that passed away. Under Gadio, he learned how to be a iso PG. Me being a fan of Basketball, I would really like to see him be tutored by a real PG who can share the PT with him for a few months. Real PGs are hard to find. As Marbury said, they are a gift from God. However, there are a few. I don't think we even need to spend much money. Here's my cheap PG list:

1. Brevin Knight. = Yes, I know he's old. Yes, I know he's short. But Knight is a real floor general whose price tag should be low because of his age.

2. Steve Blake. He's a little more pricey. He will require a little more PT. But he's a good guy to have on this team.

3. Anthony Johnson. There's nothing pretty about AJ's game except he knows how to exploit a defense. He showed that last year with the Magic.

4. Anthony Carter. Another cheap answer. He's more Shoot first than I like, but he does know how to run a show. He won't be so cheap because he does a very good job when Billups is out.

5. Jacque Vaughn. Is 34 years old too old for a 2 year deal? I guess it's better than Bobby Jackson (36)? Or is it?

Then there are some players that we can trade for that can compete for the spot.

1. Kyle Lowry. With Brooks making himself the man in Houston, maybe we can send a good deal that way. I'm looking at Mo.

2. Sebastian Telfair. Sometimes Solid ain't good enough. Minny still went with Flynn and Rubio and Flynn might be their man.

3. Keyon Dooling. Not the biggest fan, but with recent developments, I think he's available.

Then there are more expensive guys like Hinrich, Ford, Kidd, and Nash(Via trade) but I wouldn't make those moves so quickly now.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
The problem with making comparisons is Teague's craptacular A/TO ratio.

I think when you watch him, he makes turnovers because of the speed at which he plays the game and not neccessarily because of ball control issues. I remember Wake vs. either Duke or UNC... it was a big game #1 vs. #2. Wake had the lead and had just taken control of the ball and was on the offensive end. They were supposed to milk clock in that situation but his man found himself open in the middle of the lane. Teague STEAMED a pass into the lane and it totally caught his man off guard. The ball hit him right in the hands and would have been a layup to seal the deal but Teague didn't telepath that pass.

I look at Teague and I erase all those Dunks that he does over people because he won't be doing that in the NBA (he doesn't have the Steve Francis, Kevin Johnson Strength yet) and I still like what I see of him as a PG. This guy will find players. If he doesn't become too intimidated by Joe (who he plays with on NBA Live) he will be able to bark guys into position. But most importantly, he will live at the free throw line because he's faster than most of the guys who have come out and are fast. When you blink he's gone. That's where most of those dunks come from. Guys turn their head for a second and he's gone. His speed is on the level of TJ Ford's when he first came out. I think Sund drafted a franchise point guard. I can't wait to see him playing against Mo Williams and Mo will turn his head and this kid will be in the lane at the rim before Mo's feet can untangle. Or when he's playing against Jarrett Jack and he has Jack trying to come out and cover those threes that he reigning or stop him from catching Craw flashing through the lane... and all the sudden as Jack steps out to guard him, one step and he's passed Jack going to lay it up.

If you don't think it can happen... Find Boston College vs. Wake Forest from this past year!

• Premium Member
Thesheedera pointed out the other day that Teague frequently wasn't even playing the point so i think that has to be taken into account when looking at his assist/to ratio.

Understood, but it's arguably poor for a SG...

Anyone who takes it to the basket a lot will have a lot of turnovers.

•Jeff Teague's virtues as a volume shot-creator are incredibly obvious from his situational statistics.

Amongst the group we examined, Teague had a very high usage rate, but was only slight above average in terms of efficiency at .95 PPP. From a broad perspective, that’s a pretty good characterization of his mentality as a scorer, but is doesn’t do justice to how unique he is on the offensive end.

Teague is exceptionally good at getting to the rim, posting an average of 7.8 finishing attempts per game (3rd best), which is quite impressive. Considering his size, it isn’t a big surprise that he sits only slight above average at 1.12 PPP on those attempts. Moving forward, Teague may be able to seamlessly account for his lack of efficiency at the rim with his tremendous pull up jumper. He took 5.3 jumpers off the dribble per game last season, and posted .94 PPP, well above the average of .81 PPP.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jeff-Teague-5293/

Certainly his decision making will have to improve.

• Premium Member

Absolutely agree. But, in turn, they usually create more opportunities for the players around them.

I'm a little worried that Teague's A/TO and PPR stats didn't improve as a sophomore. For most players, that's the trend: terrible as freshman, adequate as a sophomore, terrific as a junior.

Teague's PPR was worse than Cole Aldrich's this year...

I see no issues with him as a scoring guard, and his long arms should help him defend the smaller 2's. (They'll be able to shoot over him on the perimeter, though).

Teague as a PG? I'm very skeptical.

I'm the only one here who thinks that Teague will be our starting PG before February.

This kid has major talent.

He can shoot.

He's blink fast.

He can distribute.

He has to work on his turnovers...

but with this team, he will be an open floor terror.

I can see it just as plain as day.

Our games will be like a track meet and he's going to be the young conductor.

Woody's days may be numbered. I don't think Sund will allow Woody to Stomp out Teague's confidence the way he stomped out Acie's. Sund even said with regret that he regretted bringing in Flip because of what it did to Acie.

I look again to Devin Harris. Harris was very similar to Teague coming out. Except Teague has MAJOR confidence.

I believe it would be smart to get an older PG who can distribute in here to BU Teague. I have said Brevin Knight because I am a fan of Knight's work. And he's really old and should be cheap. But there are other guys who are just as available. Steve Blake is another guy who fits that bill. With a rising star like Teague, I think he just needs a little seasoning from a vet PG to help him see the passes.

I think Teague starting by All-Star break isn't farfetched for a few reasons about the coach who is in control of who starts or not

1)Woodson has hinted by kind of throwing Acie Law under the bus how much more he likes Teague over Law. He calls Teague a true point guard

2)Woodson on the hot seat may be a little more unorthodox and patient with Teague for both a spark and perhaps who knows to even appease the front office

3)Woodson likes when this team dribble penetrates and doesn't settle for jumpers. I feel like Crawford will take a lot of jump shots, while you have Teague a guy who's biggest strength is his ability to pretty much drive on anyone at any time

I think Teague starting by All-Star break isn't farfetched for a few reasons about the coach who is in control of who starts or not

1)Woodson has hinted by kind of throwing Acie Law under the bus how much more he likes Teague over Law. He calls Teague a true point guard

2)Woodson on the hot seat may be a little more unorthodox and patient with Teague for both a spark and perhaps who knows to even appease the front office

3)Woodson likes when this team dribble penetrates and doesn't settle for jumpers. I feel like Crawford will take a lot of jump shots, while you have Teague a guy who's biggest strength is his ability to pretty much drive on anyone at any time

4). No way Rick Sund lets his first draft pick rot on the bench. He saw what happened to Acie, he added to it w/flip. Teague will be getting minutes.

I'm the only one here who thinks that Teague will be our starting PG before February.

This kid has major talent.

He can shoot.

He's blink fast.

He can distribute.

He has to work on his turnovers...

but with this team, he will be an open floor terror.

I can see it just as plain as day.

Our games will be like a track meet and he's going to be the young conductor.

Woody's days may be numbered. I don't think Sund will allow Woody to Stomp out Teague's confidence the way he stomped out Acie's. Sund even said with regret that he regretted bringing in Flip because of what it did to Acie.

I look again to Devin Harris. Harris was very similar to Teague coming out. Except Teague has MAJOR confidence.

I believe it would be smart to get an older PG who can distribute in here to BU Teague. I have said Brevin Knight because I am a fan of Knight's work. And he's really old and should be cheap. But there are other guys who are just as available. Steve Blake is another guy who fits that bill. With a rising star like Teague, I think he just needs a little seasoning from a vet PG to help him see the passes.

HIS CROSSOVERS ARE SICK!!!!

I was really asking the question more than stating the position. I assume that when Teague and Ish were on the floor together that Ish was playing much of the time as PG. Thy may have just had a combo backcourt with both in the game. Don't we have a resident Deacon around here to paint the picture?

The A/T scares the crap out of me. It may be though that I was so spoiled with the anomaly that is Ty Lawson. That kid played faster than any PG I've ever seen, but had an A/T ratio of a half-court tactician.

My hopes are largely hinging on what I saw of Teague AGAINST Lawson. I think Lawson was among the better college PGs I've ever seen, but head-to-head Teague had a clear advantage on that particular day. Teague looked like a Jason Williams (of the dook variety) type player that day. He not only played out of his head but he played wth an edge you usually only see with guys who are headcases and can't back it up or who are legitimate phenoms.

Actually Jason Williams may be a good comparison? Jason had a bulkier frame but not the explosive ups. Jason was probably a better defender by a decent margin. He played with a better PG than Teague did, but like Teague he was clearly the superior talent compared to the "other" guard, and was needed to provide scoring moreso than to distribute. They were both "pg"s who played more like "lead" guards in college.

Jason's last season he had a 1.4/1 A/T ratio and for his career he was 1.5/1. He avg 19 ppg in college on 45% fg and 39% from 3. They both played with no fear and a helthy dose of attitude. Jason was a flat out champion and had a lot more on his team to work with. I guess there were doubts about his ability to run an NBA franchise, but for the most part I think a lot of people believed that he could do it.

unless TEague flat out dominates in his backup role, he won't start...woody is in his last year and he's going to go with whatever gives him the best chance at the most wins...i wouldnt be surrpised if he continues to overwork joe johnson.

Well we got the seventh best PG in the draft.

2009 NBA Draft Prospects: Point Guard

NAME HT WT AGE SCHOOL/COUNTRY RD PK(OVR) TEAM

Ricky Rubio 6-5 180 18 Spain 1 5(5) Minnesota

Jonny Flynn 6-1 196 20 Syracuse 1 6(6) Minnesota

Stephen Curry 6-3 181 21 Davidson 1 7(7) Golden State

Brandon Jennings 6-2 165 19 Italy 1 10(10) Milwaukee

Jrue Holiday 6-4 199 19 UCLA 1 17(17) Philadelphia

Ty Lawson 6-1 199 21 North Carolina 1 18(18) Minnesota

Jeff Teague 6-2 175 21 Wake Forest 1 19(19) Atlanta

Eric Maynor 6-3 164 22 VA Commonwealth 1 20(20) Utah

Darren Collison 6-2 166 21 UCLA 1 21(21) New Orleans

LOL - Woodson is lobbying like heck to get Bibby back....he wouldn't know a fast break if it hit him in the head.

• Premium Member
Well we got the seventh best PG in the draft.

2009 NBA Draft Prospects: Point Guard

NAME HT WT AGE SCHOOL/COUNTRY RD PK(OVR) TEAM

Ricky Rubio 6-5 180 18 Spain 1 5(5) Minnesota

Jonny Flynn 6-1 196 20 Syracuse 1 6(6) Minnesota

Stephen Curry 6-3 181 21 Davidson 1 7(7) Golden State

Brandon Jennings 6-2 165 19 Italy 1 10(10) Milwaukee

Jrue Holiday 6-4 199 19 UCLA 1 17(17) Philadelphia

Ty Lawson 6-1 199 21 North Carolina 1 18(18) Minnesota

Jeff Teague 6-2 175 21 Wake Forest 1 19(19) Atlanta

Eric Maynor 6-3 164 22 VA Commonwealth 1 20(20) Utah

Darren Collison 6-2 166 21 UCLA 1 21(21) New Orleans

No. We got the 7th picked PG in the game.

Rubio is a bust waiting to happen.

Flynn is shorter than 6'1" but I would like to see what happens with him.

Curry is not a PG.

Jenning is skinny and frail.

Holiday average 8 ppg and didn't play PG.

Lawson is good but like Flyn, he's not 6'1 and I would like to see what happens.

Maynor has all the experience, but 164 lbs?

Collison is a defensive PG with very little offense.

Every PG has flaws.. but Teague is one of the only ones who have that "it" factor. Blink will get time to play on a good squad and Blink will have the opportunity to carve himself a niche.

No. We got the 7th picked PG in the game.

Rubio is a bust waiting to happen.

Flynn is shorter than 6'1" but I would like to see what happens with him.

Curry is not a PG.

Jenning is skinny and frail.

Holiday average 8 ppg and didn't play PG.

Lawson is good but like Flyn, he's not 6'1 and I would like to see what happens.

Maynor has all the experience, but 164 lbs?

Collison is a defensive PG with very little offense.

Every PG has flaws.. but Teague is one of the only ones who have that "it" factor. Blink will get time to play on a good squad and Blink will have the opportunity to carve himself a niche.

I agree with pretty much all your assessments here except for Rubio being a bust. I saw his play in the olympics vs Cp3, Deron, and the rest of the U.S. team....I think he's for real. I'm not saying in year 1 or maybe even 2, but he knows how to play and the game comes easy for him.

I agree that we got a guy in Teague who might be our future pg and have all those dumbasses like Chad Ford just stop talking about Cp3 and how we passed on him. Sometimes I just imagine myself throwing a tomatoe in the face of Chad Ford. :biggrin:

I didn't watch Teague nearly enough to say whether he can be a starter this season, or ever, in the NBA. I will say that he has something that will help him be at least a contributor which Acie didn't have which is legit legit legit explosiveness. I'm not sure if he's a real shooter or a rythm guy, not sure if he's a real crafty finisher, but if you can break down the D you usually have a decent chance at being a player.

I just don't know that Teague is a PG. With his low assist numbers, bad A/TO ratio and the fact that he was highly questioned about his PG abilities, it's a tough question. I do like Teague, though, and think he's an intriguing prospect, so hopefully it works. In Woodson's offense I'm certain he can play PG but I'm hoping for a new coach next season and if we get a true offense his abilities will be tested.

He really reminds me of Nate Robinson honestly, an undersized scorer who isn't a true PG.