• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If only smoove would stay in the paint......

MVP23

If smoove would just become a psot player, and post people up, and stop trying to be Reggie Miller, we wouldn't need another Big Man. The paint would be domination from us because we would have Al, Smoove, and Zaza in the lane.....but noooooooooooooo Josh thinks he Ray Allen or somebody.......

If smoove would just become a psot player, and post people up, and stop trying to be Reggie Miller, we wouldn't need another Big Man. The paint would be domination from us because we would have Al, Smoove, and Zaza in the lane.....but noooooooooooooo Josh thinks he Ray Allen or somebody.......

It's not that easy. Our offense, or lackthereof, doesn't put Smoove in the position to be an effective low post scorer. Woody is as much to blame with Smoove's bad shot selection and him floating too much around the arc as the player himself. I do believe Smoove wants to be a better shooter, and known more than just an athlete and dunker....but I don't think he's trying to be Ray Allen. Often he's forced to jack up shots because the shot clock is at 3 and JJ needs help out of the double. Or, he's left wide open in the JJ iso play because his man goes to double.

The second scenario is where Josh needs to improve. When he has that choice to shoot a wide open shot or drive, he needs to take it to the hole. He's more effective driving to the basket.

It's not that easy. Our offense, or lackthereof, doesn't put Smoove in the position to be an effective low post scorer. Woody is as much to blame with Smoove's bad shot selection and him floating too much around the arc as the player himself. I do believe Smoove wants to be a better shooter, and known more than just an athlete and dunker....but I don't think he's trying to be Ray Allen. Often he's forced to jack up shots because the shot clock is at 3 and JJ needs help out of the double. Or, he's left wide open in the JJ iso play because his man goes to double.

The second scenario is where Josh needs to improve. When he has that choice to shoot a wide open shot or drive, he needs to take it to the hole. He's more effective driving to the basket.

Josh could definitely show more of a willingness to move without the basketball and slash to the basket for easy buckets rather than hanging out around the three point line looking for an open jump shot. Some may say that Woodson doesn't ask him to do that, but when Josh Childress was working within the same system, he didn't have a problem moving without the ball and putting himself into a position to get an easy bucket.

I no longer blame Mike Woodson for Josh Smith's offensive woes, it is 95% because of the stubborness of Josh Smith to accept the fact that he is not a jump shooter nor will he ever be one.

If Josh Smith simply put the ball on the floor and drove it to the rim all those times teams INTENTIONALLY LEAVE HIM OPEN, he would at the very least score 18 PPG on very high efficiency numbers. Again that's at the very least.

Truly if he made a conscious effort to keep his game in the paint he could be one of the highest scoring PFs in the league.

He's a very frustrating player offensively considering what he could be if he did these things and he's the biggest example I've ever seen of proof that being an elite player is more than having elite talent.

Josh could definitely show more of a willingness to move without the basketball and slash to the basket for easy buckets rather than hanging out around the three point line looking for an open jump shot. Some may say that Woodson doesn't ask him to do that, but when Josh Childress was working within the same system, he didn't have a problem moving without the ball and putting himself into a position to get an easy bucket.

Again, that's coaching. If Smoove is standing around, the coaches are as much to blame as he is. But, I agree, Smoove could take the initiative himself to be more active.

It would be tough to ask Smoove to be as active as Chillz. When he was in the NBA, there's not a player that moved along the baseline better than Chillz....getting easy lay-ups and put backs.

Again, that's coaching. If Smoove is standing around, the coaches are as much to blame as he is. But, I agree, Smoove could take the initiative himself to be more active.

It would be tough to ask Smoove to be as active as Chillz. When he was in the NBA, there's not a player that moved along the baseline better than Chillz....getting easy lay-ups and put backs.

Woody was even mic'd up one time telling Josh Smith to drive the ball to the basket. He's constantly subbed out Josh Smith for making boneheaded shot attempts. At some point, there is only so much a coach can do. The player has to be willing to listen to good advice and instruction.

Josh Smith has held himself back from being a star player by his poor shot selection

Woody was even mic'd up one time telling Josh Smith to drive the ball to the basket. He's constantly subbed out Josh Smith for making boneheaded shot attempts. At some point, there is only so much a coach can do. The player has to be willing to listen to good advice and instruction.

Josh Smith has held himself back from being a star player by his poor shot selection

There's no structure on the offensive end. No structure = street ball. He can preach to Josh all he wants, but until Smoove understands where to be and what he should be doing....bad shots, standing around is going to happen.

I would like to see him develop his shooting and become an all around better player then to keep him in the paint and continue to be a one dimensional player. It does get frustrating to see him continue to shoot outside the perimeter though. With a better work ethic, i think he can do it though. I don't know if ya'll remember two season ago on the first home playoff game against the Celtics when he hit like 3 or 4 3's and was hitting jump shots from all around the perimeter, in addition to his usual dunks... That is the Josh i would love to see play next season consistantely. Maybe he just needs to develop more confident in his shot, which is probably a hard thing to do when you have 10,000+ fans in the arena yelling NOOOOO every time he's getting ready to shoot.... lol

Check out his highlights for that game and imagine what a force the Hawks would be next season if he played that way consistently:

What do you think? Can he do it? or is it just wishful thinking in my part?

when was the last time u saw ANY Hawk move without the ball and not just stand and watch Joe go? yeah that's what I thought

Mike Bibby also said the woodson should use a set that moves Smoov away from the perimeter if he didn't want him shooting jumpers. U can't just drive when your man is standing near the basket letting u shoot.

Smoove showed some post moves in the playoffs and made some easy buckets and of course woodson doesn't go to him in the post for the rest of the game so in order to touch the ball u have to go out to the 3 pt. line where our ball hugging guards refuse to move from.