• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Francoeur will be gone soon.

KB21

It's a shame too. This guy has so much talent, and he just has not been able to put it together. Mark Bradley has a blog entry out that I agree with. Jeff has now lost the support of the one guy he couldn't afford to lose in Bobby Cox. Bobby has probably been more patient with Jeff than he has other young players in the past, but I think Bobby is finally to the point where he can no longer afford to give Jeff anymore chances. Not with Matt Diaz and Garrett Anderson both hitting the ball well. Jeff needs a change of scenery. I think part of his problem is that he has too many people telling him what he needs to do with all of them telling him something different, and he is trying to listen to all of them. My guess is, Jeff stung Bobby when he went to Texas to work with Rudy Jaramillo instead of Terry Pendelton this offseason. Now, some of you may not like TP as a hitting coach, but Bobby supports his coaches (sometimes when he shouldn't - Roger McDowell).

Many have talked about Bobby's disgust with Yunel Escobar and have started up trade rumors about him. I think Yunel is a similar situation to Andruw Jones. Is Bobby disgusted with the immaturity and lack of focus that Yunel exhibits from time to time? Yes. How is that any different than what Andruw Jones showed for many years in Atlanta? Bobby loved Andruw, and I think Bobby believes that Yunel is one of the better young short stops in baseball right now, particlarly defensively with his cannon of an arm. At this point, I do not believe the Braves will trade Yunel. Unlike Kelly Johnson and Jeff Francoeur, Yunel was only pulled from a game for a miscue. He wasn't flat out benched. Why would you trade a guy who is a .300+ hitter that doesn't strike out a lot and has shown improved power this season?

Is there a rumor that he's going to be shipped off somewhere? I mean, obviously we've been shopping him. I don't know of any team that actually expressed any long-term interest over him though, so I don't think we can trade him so easily. We'll have to package him with Yunel or Vasquez if we want to get any value out of him. The thing with him is that he's so terrible but then you add that to his already terrible contract and that leaves just a nightmare for any general manager and team to have. I think it's just a matter of time before we deal Francouer, but I'm warning you guys... don't expect much value in return for him.

Is there a rumor that he's going to be shipped off somewhere? I mean, obviously we've been shopping him. I don't know of any team that actually expressed any long-term interest over him though, so I don't think we can trade him so easily. We'll have to package him with Yunel or Vasquez if we want to get any value out of him. The thing with him is that he's so terrible but then you add that to his already terrible contract and that leaves just a nightmare for any general manager and team to have. I think it's just a matter of time before we deal Francouer, but I'm warning you guys... don't expect much value in return for him.

What terrible contract? I thought he signed a year-to-year arbitration deal.

What terrible contract? I thought he signed a year-to-year arbitration deal.

I'm not a cap expert, but I thought we tried buying out his arbitration years? He's making $3.75 million this year... maybe it's his first arbitration year. But I know we extended his contract before.

i saw something within the last week online (can't remember exactly where, espn or si prolly), about a jose guillen to atl/frenchy to kansas city kind of deal. apparently dayton moore has been wanting to ship off guillen and he is still fairly fond of jeff. that may have been pure speculation by the writer, not anything that has actually been spoken about out loud, so who knows. that would probably be the best the braves could get imo. guillen's not bad, not great, but prolly a step up from diaz. i haven't checked out any stats on how either of them are doing this year. at the very least he would be a step up from francoeur this year, though not down the line should jeff ever get his s*** together.

I'm not a cap expert, but I thought we tried buying out his arbitration years? He's making $3.75 million this year... maybe it's his first arbitration year. But I know we extended his contract before.

They discussed an extension with Jeff, but they never agreed upon one, so he has gone to arby the last two years.

Oh, and Jose Guillen is definitely not an upgrade of Matt Diaz. I don't know what else Matt has to do to get respect. This guy can roll out of the bed and hit the ball. Matt may be a below average defender, but he has earned the right to play everyday.

They discussed an extension with Jeff, but they never agreed upon one, so he has gone to arby the last two years.

Oh, and Jose Guillen is definitely not an upgrade of Matt Diaz. I don't know what else Matt has to do to get respect. This guy can roll out of the bed and hit the ball. Matt may be a below average defender, but he has earned the right to play everyday.

i'm glad to hear that about diaz. i was speaking more from a historical perspective (still seeing him as a platoon player), than from a current day perspective. that's why i phrased it that "[guillen is] prolly(probably) a step up from diaz. i haven't checked out any stats on how either of them are doing this year." i wouldn't even assume that he'd be a major step up.

my braves watching has been sproadic this year. watching a little more reds up here lately, but still try to keep up with both.

The only way I see someone taking Jeff is if he's included in a deal for one of the starting pitchers, most likely Vasquez. This isn't bad, its just that I can't see where a team would give up something to experiment with Jeff.

In terms of Pendleton, I have to wonder if we are focusing too much on the negative and not the positive? Yes, Jeff, Andruw, and KJ all have failed under Pendleton; but, then again, AJ is showing himself to be not much more than he was in Atlanta- an undisciplined power hitter. This is even with the "greatest hitting coach in the world" in Texas.

In terms of success, you can certainly point to Escobar, Diaz, and McCann as succeses under TP. Yes, you can argue Brian goes to his dad, but why doesn't Jeff go to Brian's dad. For that matter, why hasn't Jeff improved under Chipper who everyone raves about?

Point is, TP may or may not be a good hitting coach, but he hasn't had a lot to work with in terms of hitting talent. As a counter point, when the Braves did have talent, they were in the top of the NL in offense, and the hitting coach was TP.

I agree about Diaz. He has earned that right. He can flat out hit. BTW, I don't think we would trade for a guy that spiked Chipper in the nuts a few years back. I wouldn't mind, but I don't see it happening. He was a bit of a hot head. You have to be Sheffield talented to make that even remotely close to worth it.

The only way I see someone taking Jeff is if he's included in a deal for one of the starting pitchers, most likely Vasquez. This isn't bad, its just that I can't see where a team would give up something to experiment with Jeff.

In terms of Pendleton, I have to wonder if we are focusing too much on the negative and not the positive? Yes, Jeff, Andruw, and KJ all have failed under Pendleton; but, then again, AJ is showing himself to be not much more than he was in Atlanta- an undisciplined power hitter. This is even with the "greatest hitting coach in the world" in Texas.

In terms of success, you can certainly point to Escobar, Diaz, and McCann as succeses under TP. Yes, you can argue Brian goes to his dad, but why doesn't Jeff go to Brian's dad. For that matter, why hasn't Jeff improved under Chipper who everyone raves about?

Point is, TP may or may not be a good hitting coach, but he hasn't had a lot to work with in terms of hitting talent. As a counter point, when the Braves did have talent, they were in the top of the NL in offense, and the hitting coach was TP.

Yes, Jeff, Andruw, and KJ all have failed under Pendleton; but, then again, AJ is showing himself to be not much more than he was in Atlanta- an undisciplined power hitter. This is even with the "greatest hitting coach in the world" in Texas.

I would gladly take Andruw's undisciplined, 14 homers(3 last night, 1 night before) over anything the Braves trotted out this year. TP is just riding it out till he is named the Braves manager next year.

They actually traded him...TO THE METS???!!!! :cant believe:

Braves trade Francoeur (AJC)

WTF?!?!?!?!?! :brick wall:

Getting rid of a legendarily bad player is one thing, but putting him on a division rival??? That is SHREWD.

I hope Francouer sucks monkey nuts in NY. I have a feeling he will. I think he will fold under the New York media.

This is good news for Atlanta. No one wanted Frenchy in the beginning of the year, and I think the Mets have kept close watch on him and he's been hitting a couple doubles here and there recently. It's a good thing we were able to trade him for someone who has somewhat of a value. I don't want to rule out Atlanta packaging Church off to another team even though we just traded for him. The last thing the Braves needed was another lefty-batter outfielder. But I guess I'll take this nothing for something trade.

Getting rid of a legendarily bad player is one thing, but putting him on a division rival??? That is SHREWD.

Bingo! Stay thirsty, my friend :beer11:

That was seriously the worst trade they could have made.

Francoeur goes, but Escobar stays?! Maybe Wren wants to go out in a blaze of glory?

Happy birthday to...me!! :blow out candles:

Edited by ZanarkandStarAEast

That was seriously the worst trade they could have made.

Why? I think Church is underappreciated because he's not the flashy player that people think we could have gotten with Francouer. The truth is... Francouer's value is close to nothing. Just be happy that we got rid of Francouer. Church's OBP is higher than Frenchy and at least Church won't complain if we bench him or put him in the minors. I think Church will fit in quite nicely in Atlanta if we decide to keep him.

The good of this is that maybe Matt Diaz will finally get the opportunity to be in the line up on a daily basis. I just don't think Ryan Church is good enough to knock him out of the starting line up and make Bobby continue to platoon Diaz.

I would like to see the Braves pick up Josh Willingham from Washington for left field. They have had some interest in Willingham in the past. He's not great, but he's hitting over .280 with a .500+ SLG in 160 something at bats this season. Atlanta may also have some interest in Cody Ross from Florida. They tried trading Francoeur for him, but Florida balked. At this point, I don't know that the Braves will give Florida anyone that can help them for Ross.

Church can play centerfield as well, so maybe his will give the Braves an option of moving McLouth over to one of the corner postions on occasion, improving the defense in center in the process. McLouth is a very good hitter, but he's average to below average in the field.

Just to throw out another name, I'm actually one that wouldn't be against getting Juan Pierre. The statheads will not want him because he's not an OBP guy, but Juan is hitting .325 and has 20+ stolen bases on the year. He's got a pop gun arm, but he would cover more ground defensively than any outfielder on the team right now. I think he'd make a very good lead off guy, allowing them to move McLouth down in the order.

BTW, I don't think we would trade for a guy that spiked Chipper in the nuts a few years back.

yeah, well, chipper does have a problem leaving his nuts in places he shouldn't...lol.

the trade for church is pretty much a wash, really. but i wouldn't expect anything great for a straight up trade of frenchy. i like the juan pierre idea. one big bat isn't going to help this team out any great deal, might as well focus on speed and small ball tactics that actually gets more players involved instead of hoping for a guy to hit a moon shot only to strike out three swings later.