• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sund needs to pick up the pace........

The MoonKnight

So far this offseason, Sund has done a good job by approaching this offseason at a steady, even pace and has signed his own free agents at reasonable prices. He has been appropriately aggressive with his own free agents and has not overreached or overpaid. With the Chills tango concluded, we now know how much cap space we will be working with regardless of the eventual Marvin signing (at either the QO or long term contract). With most of the primary free agents already signed, teams are turning their attentions to the vet big men available. I suspect the signings for these guys to start fast and furious. I hope Sund is now picking up the pace and is actively in contact with Oberto, Wilcox, Smith, Rasho, Petro, Shellhead, Ratliff, etc., and preparing contract offers. It is crucial to the success of this offseason that we sign a quality big (or two) and we cannot be too passive in doing so. Thoughts?

• Premium Member

So far this offseason, Sund has done a good job by approaching this offseason at a steady, even pace and has signed his own free agents at reasonable prices. He has been appropriately aggressive with his own free agents and has not overreached or overpaid. With the Chills tango concluded, we now know how much cap space we will be working with regardless of the eventual Marvin signing (at either the QO or long term contract). With most of the primary free agents already signed, teams are turning their attentions to the vet big men available. I suspect the signings for these guys to start fast and furious. I hope Sund is now picking up the pace and is actively in contact with Oberto, Wilcox, Smith, Rasho, Petro, Shellhead, Ratliff, etc., and preparing contract offers. It is crucial to the success of this offseason that we sign a quality big (or two) and we cannot be too passive in doing so. Thoughts?

Honestly, Sund has moved a lot faster than I thought he would. I thought he would drag out Bibby and i was doubtful that he would even move on Zaza. This guy is used to finishing deals in late August.

One thing that I'm fearful of is that I think there are designs to trade Smoove. Maybe something good. Maybe for something trivial. Maybe for that Big that Woody was talking about.

Honestly, Sund has moved a lot faster than I thought he would. I thought he would drag out Bibby and i was doubtful that he would even move on Zaza. This guy is used to finishing deals in late August.

One thing that I'm fearful of is that I think there are designs to trade Smoove. Maybe something good. Maybe for something trivial. Maybe for that Big that Woody was talking about.

I agree with you about the timing of Bibby and Zaza as he moved faster than I expected. I doubt Smoove is on the block now or else Woody is completely in the dark about Sund's trade talks given Woody's statements on the radio this morning. I hope we move quickly on getting the quality big vet b/c I fear these guys will be signed soon.

I give Sund a lot of credit for making things happen quickly, first with Crawford and then Bibby & Zaza. Gives me confidence that he's got a plan, and we just have to be patient to see how it plays out. If Marvin signs the QO at 7.5M, he's got 10 guys on the books for next year at a payroll $6M less than last year. That gives some room to pick up a quality guy or two for the rotation.

Yeah Woody mentioned trade. Maybe we are just trading David Andersens rights? I would think if it was a deal for and Amare or Bosh type player Chills would have been a good asset to trade along with Smoove.

• Premium Member

He did mention trade and he said at least a couple times as soon as I hang up I'm going to call Sund. Like he thought that something might be immenent. He seemed intent on talking to him to get an update. Anyone else get that impression?

Sounds like Woody would be OK with a Marvin S&T.

Sounds like Woody would be OK with a Marvin S&T.

Except that he said getting Marvin is the next step and (quoting indirectly) "important to what we do".

Reading between the lines, Woody employs a switching defense so long adaptable forwards are needed (Marvin),

we need to acquire bigs and he said a trade might be possible,

the only players on the roster that could get us quality in a trade are Joe and Smoove.

Woody loves Joe and has a documented history of disagreements with Smoove.

Not saying it's happening, just saying. If we are trading for lower tier bigs then maybe Mo can be included but the worth of Marvin and then his BYC and Crawford's talent would be more than anything we could get back at their salary so if we are looking at big guns then we might have to divest ourselves of a big gun.

Except that he said getting Marvin is the next step and (quoting indirectly) "important to what we do".

Reading between the lines, Woody employs a switching defense so long adaptable forwards are needed (Marvin),

we need to acquire bigs and he said a trade might be possible,

the only players on the roster that could get us quality in a trade are Joe and Smoove.

Woody loves Joe and has a documented history of disagreements with Smoove.

Not saying it's happening, just saying. If we are trading for lower tier bigs then maybe Mo can be included but the worth of Marvin and then his BYC and Crawford's talent would be more than anything we could get back at their salary so if we are looking at big guns then we might have to divest ourselves of a big gun.

I think you are right on. I missed the first part of the interview but my impression was that Woody CLEARLY wants Marvin back. He said that getting Marvin back was the next order of business for the team and that "Marvin is a big part of what we do." I thought it was interesting the way he said that because when he was talking about the possibility of bringing Chillz back, he sounded lukewarm to the idea/possibility at best.

When asked specifically about the possibility of Chillz coming back, he said he "wouldn't be opposed" to the idea and that "we control his rights." He said "I thought I had a good relationship with Chilly and his teammates seemed to like him so I wouldn't be opposed to having him on the team." He said that Chillz was a part of what they started when he came here. He gave the impression that Chillz had no desire to be here though and he said something about not knowing why players make some of the decisions they make but that he tried not to get involved in players' decisions related to the business side of things.

I was glad to hear that the team was looking for additional big man help and that we had reached out to Sheed and McDyess. He said he was going to be on the phone with Sund today regarding their big man list and what the status was with regard to their goal of signing another big (or two). He said that we have to get bigger and that we needed a VETERAN big (or 2) whether it be via a FA signing(s) or a trade.

I could be wrong but when he mentioned trading for a veteran big, I think he was looking at the possibility of a sign and trade involving Chillz. He seemed genuinely surprised when they told him that Chillz said he was going back to Europe. Since it didn't sound like he expected Chillz to be here, I think he was thinking Chillz might be involved in a trade.