• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jamal Crawford ready to whatever it takes

pimp

By Jerry Brewer

Seattle Times staff columnist

Jamal Crawford ready to whatever it takes to make playoffs with Hawks

The combo guard from Seattle has earned millions and the respect of his NBA peers, but never a trip to postseason. He hopes to change that in Atlanta.

By Jerry Brewer

Seattle Times staff columnist

Hard to believe, but Jamal Crawford is almost an NBA grandpa.

The skinny showman from Rainier Beach High School with the slick handle will enter his 10th NBA season in October. He's only 29, so he has no gray or thinning hair. In pro-sports years, however, he's seasoned enough to be considered a sage. After the controversies of his prep and collegiate days, he's defied the low expectations of critics who thought he didn't have the discipline to make it.

He's proven to be more than worthy of being selected No. 8 overall in the 2000 NBA draft. That class is burdened with busts (Stromile Swift, Marcus Fizer), wasted talents (Darius Miles) and calamity cases (DerMarr Johnson broke his neck), but Crawford avoided the plague.

Every time you think you have him pegged, he shows another layer.

"I've been around for a while now, but I feel like I'm still at the start of my career, honestly," Crawford said. "I feel like I'm still learning, still getting better."

Today, Crawford hosts his annual summer charity event, High Tops and Healthy Hearts. The festivities include a 6 p.m. golf tournament at The Links at Interbay and features many Seattle-bred NBA players, including Brandon Roy and Spencer Hawes. The goal of the benefit is to raise money and awareness for athletic trainers who assist the students participating in Seattle high-school sports programs.

"It's great to have Jamal supporting our program," said Dr. Monique Burton of Seattle Children's Hospital, who is the medical director of the Seattle Schools Athletic Trainer program. "The athletic trainer program is something important to Seattle schools and all schools. They're the people who are there for injuries, illnesses and provide care immediately. The amount of funding is not quite enough for the trainers to be there as much as they need to be there, and his contribution has made a significant impact."

Crawford considers his efforts part of what he's supposed to be doing as a native son who made it big. He's an electric combo guard who has averaged about 18 points over the last six seasons.

He is one of only four players in NBA history to score 50 points in a game for three different teams. He once made 16 shots in a row. He has earned close to $50 million in his career already.

But he's not satisfied. The individual accolades have been nice, but Crawford now has a title he'd like to erase. Many who know the NBA, including his peers, consider him the best player in the league who hasn't made a playoff appearance.

After 597 games of team futility, he wants to fire back at his latest critics. He wants to prove he can thrive on a winning team.

He'll get the opportunity in the upcoming season. Last month, Golden State traded Crawford to Atlanta, an exciting, fledgling team that advanced to the second round of the playoffs last season.

With the Hawks, he'll likely get to show whether he can be happy scoring less on a winning team. He'll likely be asked to move from starter to sixth man because Atlanta just re-signed Mike Bibby, and the Hawks will need his leadership because 29 isn't that young on their team.

If you wonder if Crawford can handle it, here's his response: Just watch.

He's tired of the losing. He was with Chicago in the middle of a massive rebuilding effort. He was with the New York Knicks during the disastrous Isiah Thomas era. He was with Golden State right when Don Nelson lost interest. The Hawks offer easily the best situation Crawford has had.

During a game last season, Crawford remembers Darrell Armstrong, now a Dallas assistant coach, telling him that many people consider him the best NBA player not to make the playoffs. It bothered Crawford. He started to realize his game is more respected by fellow players than it is the general public. He accepts it, but he doesn't like it. Now he has his best chance to do something about it.

"It doesn't just bother me that people say it," Crawford said. "It bothers me that I haven't been. I love the big stage. I want to win. I'll do whatever it takes for our team."

His unselfishness will be evident at his charity event today. If it translates to the basketball court, Ol' Grandpa Crawford will reveal yet another layer.

Jerry Brewer: 206-464-2277 or jbrewer@seattletimes.com

Copyright © 2009 The Seattle Times Company

Very nice article!

I'm very optimistic about Crawford, and I expect him to display perhaps his best basketball in our uniform... He's mature, experienced, and he understands expectation... He's at a stage of his career when he doesn't have to prove anything individualy, and that's what I like about his situation with Hawks. I believe that he'll devote his game and energy towards winning and taking this team to another level! That's what's most important, he won't dissrupt our chemistry and further development...

Very nice article!

I'm very optimistic about Crawford, and I expect him to display perhaps his best basketball in our uniform... He's mature, experienced, and he understands expectation... He's at a stage of his career when he doesn't have to prove anything individualy, and that's what I like about his situation with Hawks. I believe that he'll devote his game and energy towards winning and taking this team to another level! That's what's most important, he won't dissrupt our chemistry and further development...

I think Crawford is going to be a really good 6th man. A 2nd team with him and Teague could be fun to watch.

I'm hoping we see Crawford step up and play his role with excellence. I'm excited to see what he can do because I can't say I'm familiar with his game. Who honestly watched the baby Bulls or Isaiah Knicks?

The only time I've really seen him play is when he killed the Hawks 2 years ago.

We're finally gonna get a player that will get a season award. Jamal Crawford for 6th man of the year! :)

I've been thinking the same thing. Crawford, as it stands, has a legitimate chance at getting this. He is going to get a lot of minutes, will most likely finish games with Bibby on the bench and he is a really good scorer. I mean, he can be a gnarly scorer, so I for one am excited to have him coming off the bench. When he misses Zaza can clean it up.

We now have one of the best bench scoring threats in the league coming off OUR bench!!!! When was the last time we were able to say that, can't wait for the season to start!

I liked Crawford when he was in Chicago even though he was a bit of a wild card back then; his game was always there...hope he is as mature now as he sounds. If so, we probably got the steal of the off season!

Edited by Buzzard