• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Cavs still interested in Joe Smith

Blunt91

• Admin

A littlebit of info about Joe on Hoopshype.

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Looks like he maybe waiting on the cavs and not us. Maybe we should go after Powe instead. Not much info but something is better than nothing at all.

ugh...the pool is starting to dry up for a good backup big man. Joe is perfect for us. I wish he would just sign here.

• Admin

Still hoping that we sign Smith. And the fact that he hasn't signed with the Cavs yet is a good thing???

I have a feeling He is waiting on the Powe situation to resolve itself.

Maybe he will sign with us if Powe is signed by the Cavs so I hope that happens.

We really need Smith on our roster.

I have a feeling He is waiting on the Powe situation to resolve itself.

Maybe he will sign with us if Powe is signed by the Cavs so I hope that happens.

We really need Smith on our roster.

How about we just sign Powe and Joe and let Powe sit out the season on injured reserve and then he can be the primary backup 4 in 2010?

• Premium Member

mrhonline is right... seems rational to believe that Smith was behind Marvin in line, and that he is under the impression he is getting an offer from Sund eventually that would eclipse what CLE has to offer.

In my newest dreams, we get Smith, and then we also ink a legitimate SF/PF tweener... I'm very intrigued with Linas Kleiza and James Singleton, with preference for Kleiza if, in fact, we sign Othello for this season. I say that b/c Singleton's skill set seems too similar to Hunter's.

Of course they're still interested.

But they cannot offer as much as the Hawks.

BTW, there's still Brian Skinner and Sean Marks out there in terms of veteran bigs.

And because of luxury tax, whatever they offer, they will have to double it.

This may be good news:

Cleveland Cavaliers closing in on two-year deal with ex-Celtics forward Leon Powe

by Brian Windhorst/Plain Dealer Reporter

Monday August 10, 2009, 11:20 PM

John Kuntz/The Plain Dealer

Leon Powe was a valuable member of the Boston Celtics last season until a severe knee injury sidelined him during the playoffs. CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Thinking outside the box and taking a managed risk, the Cavaliers are close to scoring what could be a key big-man addition to their roster.

According to a source, the Cavs have the framework of a contract completed with free agent forward Leon Powe. It could become official as early as Tuesday, when Powe is expected to come to Cleveland to meet with team doctors.

Powe is in the middle of recovering from a torn ACL in his left knee and may not be able to return until the All-Star Break. But the Cavs feel like he's worth the wait.

The sides have been talking for weeks and were able to agree on a two-year contract, which will protect both sides. Powe will get a chance to rehab with a deal and the Cavs will be protected if he recovers as they apparently believe he will.

The 6-8 three-year veteran averaged 7.7 points and 4.9 rebounds for the Celtics last season. He proved valuable when Kevin Garnett went down with injury and played an important role until he suffered the injury during the playoffs.

The Celtics could have kept Powe's rights, but they declined to make him a qualifying offer in June because he's had several injuries to the left ACL. They had hoped to be able to re-sign him when he was healthy, but the Cavs were able to put together a more attractive offer.

• Admin

This may be good news:

Cleveland Cavaliers closing in on two-year deal with ex-Celtics forward Leon Powe

by Brian Windhorst/Plain Dealer Reporter

Monday August 10, 2009, 11:20 PM

John Kuntz/The Plain Dealer

Leon Powe was a valuable member of the Boston Celtics last season until a severe knee injury sidelined him during the playoffs. CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Thinking outside the box and taking a managed risk, the Cavaliers are close to scoring what could be a key big-man addition to their roster.

According to a source, the Cavs have the framework of a contract completed with free agent forward Leon Powe. It could become official as early as Tuesday, when Powe is expected to come to Cleveland to meet with team doctors.

Powe is in the middle of recovering from a torn ACL in his left knee and may not be able to return until the All-Star Break. But the Cavs feel like he's worth the wait.

The sides have been talking for weeks and were able to agree on a two-year contract, which will protect both sides. Powe will get a chance to rehab with a deal and the Cavs will be protected if he recovers as they apparently believe he will.

The 6-8 three-year veteran averaged 7.7 points and 4.9 rebounds for the Celtics last season. He proved valuable when Kevin Garnett went down with injury and played an important role until he suffered the injury during the playoffs.

The Celtics could have kept Powe's rights, but they declined to make him a qualifying offer in June because he's had several injuries to the left ACL. They had hoped to be able to re-sign him when he was healthy, but the Cavs were able to put together a more attractive offer.

He has to prove his knee is going to be okay and he signed for the league minimum so there is probably still room for Smith.

Posted this evening.

Roster not set: Signing Powe would bring the Cavs roster to 13 players and they are not done. Despite having six big men on the roster already, Powe's injury and J.J. Hickson's recovery from a back injury still may leave the team short.

So, according to a league source, the Cavs are still considering signing Joe Smith or perhaps Rob Kurz. The team is expected to sign second-round draft pick Danny Green, a wing player, before training camp as well.

• Admin

Posted this evening.

Roster not set: Signing Powe would bring the Cavs roster to 13 players and they are not done. Despite having six big men on the roster already, Powe's injury and J.J. Hickson's recovery from a back injury still may leave the team short.

So, according to a league source, the Cavs are still considering signing Joe Smith or perhaps Rob Kurz. The team is expected to sign second-round draft pick Danny Green, a wing player, before training camp as well.

I can see it be more enticing to be part of a potential championship team. I hope Smith takes into consideration that he will have a lot more PT with us and we are a playoff team. Sund get it done!

Info from Sekou's blog:

By no means does this excuse the Hawks from the responsibility of filling out the roster with quality players capable of supporting that core group. But it certainly helps that the core is in place right now - a nucleus with three wildly talented youngsters in Horford, Williams and Smith. That would be a heck of a core group by itself. So to have JJ, Bibby, Zaza, rookie Jeff Teague and even Jamal Crawford to add to the list makes the list that much more impressive. It’ll look even better with the addition of a name like Joe Smith, still in the works according to some well-placed sources that insist the Hawks won’t give up until someone pries Smith from their dead claws.

• Admin

Info from Sekou's blog:

By no means does this excuse the Hawks from the responsibility of filling out the roster with quality players capable of supporting that core group. But it certainly helps that the core is in place right now - a nucleus with three wildly talented youngsters in Horford, Williams and Smith. That would be a heck of a core group by itself. So to have JJ, Bibby, Zaza, rookie Jeff Teague and even Jamal Crawford to add to the list makes the list that much more impressive. It'll look even better with the addition of a name like Joe Smith, still in the works according to some well-placed sources that insist the Hawks won't give up until someone pries Smith from their dead claws.

I am glad we are serious about him. I wonder the hold up for Joe is. Maybe he doesn't want to play here.

I am glad we are serious about him. I wonder the hold up for Joe is. Maybe he doesn't want to play here.

Of course I can't say for sure but the obvious answer is that he wants a multi-year deal and the Hawks only want to offer a 1 year deal. If we can get JJ signed, it MIGHT allow us to offer Smith a multi-year deal but as long as we don't know the number for JJ next year, I can't imagine Sund committing dollars to Smith that could cause us to have to exceed the luxury tax to resign JJ.