• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Roddy White Ends Holdout

ShooterMcGavin

Falcons' Roddy White ends hold out By D. ORLANDO LEDBETTER

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Falcons Pro Bowl wide receiver Roddy White signed a six-year contract extension Saturday night that makes him the second highest-paid receiver in the game.

.“We’re always going to be an organization that rewards players for being productive on the field and good citzens off of it,” said Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff. “We are glad to get this contract situation resolved and look forward to a long association with Roddy.”

The deal ends White’s eight-day holdout. He was fined $15,888 per day during the holdout.

White is expected to attend practice Monday.

“Roddy is extremely happy that this was able to be resolved so that he can re-join his teammates,” said Jonathan Feinsod, White’s agent.

Hopefully both sides got what they wanted, and I'm sure there are loads of kickers, incentives, and provisions that we'll never know about. ESPN revised the report and said he wsa 3rd highest behind Steve Smith. His placement seems about right. I don't know how much Houshmanzadeh is paid, but they're about a wash. Andre Johnson certainly can command more when his time comes, and Roddy's contract should be a landmark for Calvin Johnson and probably Marques Colston if they bust out this year. I know Roddy better not drop a TD like he did against Denver and show something in the WR running game now that High Def is out. Let's go Falcons.

Edited by benhillboy

So in the NFL can players like White just hold out for a new contract after a breakout probowl year?

NFL players pretty much have to, because their contracts are non-guaranteed. He signed a 6 year deal, but basically it is 1 year contract with 5 years of team options. If the teams don't have to honor contracts, it seems counterproductive for the players to do so.

In other words, I agree with the fact that he held out (as he's certainly worth more than the ~$2 mil he was due to make), but it seems like his opinion of his abilities don't match reality.

Another possibility is that he was holding out so that he didn't have to spend an extra hour at the autograph session at the Dome yesterday.

Another possibility is that he was holding out so that he didn't have to spend an extra hour at the autograph session at the Dome yesterday.

lol. that should be a contract incentive kicker, "every 5 hours of autograph sessions will raise your salary $125K."

the new contract probably over reached a little, but honestly, i would put him up there among the 5 best wr's for the duration of this contract. andre johnson, larry fitz, calvin, and roddy. right now, randy moss and steve smith, maybe reggie wayne could be argued ahead of him, but they're all older and he will surpass them within the next couple years. calvin and andres next contracts will bump roddy's down to fourth or fifth highest, which is about right.

matt ryan will help him earn that contract. plus, this isn't a one great year now give me a new contract. he had a great year catching passes from redman and harrington, so it's no fluke.

glad he's back in camp.

NFL players pretty much have to, because their contracts are non-guaranteed. He signed a 6 year deal, but basically it is 1 year contract with 5 years of team options. If the teams don't have to honor contracts, it seems counterproductive for the players to do so.

In other words, I agree with the fact that he held out (as he's certainly worth more than the ~$2 mil he was due to make), but it seems like his opinion of his abilities don't match reality.

Exactly. it is simply amazing to me how many people don't understand this concept. NFL contracts are NOT guaranteed. Teams cut players who are under contract ALL THE TIME. Keith Brooking was under contract. A lot of good that did him.

In addition, what happens if Roddy comes to camp and gets hurt before he signed his deal? You think the Falcons were going to pay him next year if he was not the same player that he is now? In the NFL, its all about the GUARANTEED money.

Good. But he should've asked for one earlier like Greg Jennings did without having to miss any camp time.

Yeah, I'm sure the Falcons had no idea that Roddy was going to ask for a contract extension this year (sarcasm). Jennings was drafted in '06 and Roddy was drafted in '05. I think that Dimitroff handled this situation just fine but don't blame Ted Thompson for being proactive and getting Jennings signed in the offseason.