• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Top five shooting guards

DrReality

Anyone surprised at this:

Ranking the top five shooting guards for this upcoming season is an extremely difficult task, especially after you get outside the big three of Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, and Joe Johnson. There are so many gifted shooters in this league that it's hard to quantify who outranks whom; even harder is predicting who will have the best season in 2009-10.

Despite that, we're giving it a shot (so to speak), so here are your top five shooting guards for the upcoming NBA season:

(Author's Note: Brandon Roy was originally left off this list because I was, for some reason, viewing him as a point guard. Were I doing this over, he'd absolutely be ranked #3, followed by Johnson and Ginobili, which would push Ray Allen to the top of the Honorable Mention category).

#1 – Kobe Bryant – Not only is the 2008 league MVP and coming off a championship ring, but he's also the most dominant player in the game. Say whatever you want about LeBron James, but Kobe's got the rings, the experience, and the 81-point game under his belt. He may not have outscored Wade last year, but that doesn't mean he isn't the superior player. Not far superior by any means, but how is any argument plausible that puts Wade atop this list when Kobe's the guy he has to leapfrog?

#2 – Dwyane Wade – Arguably the best clutch shooter in the modern NBA, Wade is here not only because he led the league in scoring last season with 30.2 ppg, but also because his long list of difficult and amazing game-winners. By adding 5 points and 7.5 boards a game to his totals last year Wade made a strong case for best all-around player in the league, and even pulled some late MVP votes despite not really being in the conversation earlier on in the season. The man's a star, just like Kobe, which is why these guys are the top two off-guards in the league.

#3 – Joe Johnson – After Johnson the field drops off a little bit, but at the same time he's not quite in the same class as the first two guys on this list. Clearly the third-best shooting guard in the league, Johnson has done a lot for bringing the Atlanta Hawks back to credibility—an effort that's likely to be awarded heftily next summer when he very well could become the highest-profile free agent on the market to actually consider leaving his current team. At 21.4 points, 5.8 assists, and 4.4 rebounds a game (2008-09's statistics), he's certainly a game-changer and a team leader.

#4 – Manu Ginobili – Statistically, maybe Vince Carter should've been the fourth-best two-guard in the league, and considering Ginobili missed half the season last year due to injury, his place at fourth on this list could certainly be considered a gamble. But if he comes into this year healthy, his numbers will jump right back up that 19-20ppg mark again, and the Spurs are already heavily favored to be a Conference Championship team this year. At his best, Ginobili is a force, and even injured he's better than most.

#5 – Ray Allen – So why no Vince again? A couple of reasons. First of all, his numbers will probably see a drop in Orlando next year as his role will undoubtedly have to change in that Magic system. Even if he doesn't change his role and continues scoring 20+ points a night, it would be to the detriment of a really good young team, in which case I can't put him in the top five anyway. Compared to Ray Allen—someone who just never stops knocking down threes, including several clutch shots in last year's playoffs—Carter isn't quite the same class of player. He's an amazing athlete and the skill is certainly there, but in terms of being a better player and all-around shooter, Allen nips him out of the top five by a hair.

• Admin

Anyone surprised at this:

Ranking the top five shooting guards for this upcoming season is an extremely difficult task, especially after you get outside the big three of Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, and Joe Johnson. There are so many gifted shooters in this league that it's hard to quantify who outranks whom; even harder is predicting who will have the best season in 2009-10.

Despite that, we're giving it a shot (so to speak), so here are your top five shooting guards for the upcoming NBA season:

(Author's Note: Brandon Roy was originally left off this list because I was, for some reason, viewing him as a point guard. Were I doing this over, he'd absolutely be ranked #3, followed by Johnson and Ginobili, which would push Ray Allen to the top of the Honorable Mention category).

#1 – Kobe Bryant – Not only is the 2008 league MVP and coming off a championship ring, but he's also the most dominant player in the game. Say whatever you want about LeBron James, but Kobe's got the rings, the experience, and the 81-point game under his belt. He may not have outscored Wade last year, but that doesn't mean he isn't the superior player. Not far superior by any means, but how is any argument plausible that puts Wade atop this list when Kobe's the guy he has to leapfrog?

#2 – Dwyane Wade – Arguably the best clutch shooter in the modern NBA, Wade is here not only because he led the league in scoring last season with 30.2 ppg, but also because his long list of difficult and amazing game-winners. By adding 5 points and 7.5 boards a game to his totals last year Wade made a strong case for best all-around player in the league, and even pulled some late MVP votes despite not really being in the conversation earlier on in the season. The man's a star, just like Kobe, which is why these guys are the top two off-guards in the league.

#3 – Joe Johnson – After Johnson the field drops off a little bit, but at the same time he's not quite in the same class as the first two guys on this list. Clearly the third-best shooting guard in the league, Johnson has done a lot for bringing the Atlanta Hawks back to credibility—an effort that's likely to be awarded heftily next summer when he very well could become the highest-profile free agent on the market to actually consider leaving his current team. At 21.4 points, 5.8 assists, and 4.4 rebounds a game (2008-09's statistics), he's certainly a game-changer and a team leader.

#4 – Manu Ginobili – Statistically, maybe Vince Carter should've been the fourth-best two-guard in the league, and considering Ginobili missed half the season last year due to injury, his place at fourth on this list could certainly be considered a gamble. But if he comes into this year healthy, his numbers will jump right back up that 19-20ppg mark again, and the Spurs are already heavily favored to be a Conference Championship team this year. At his best, Ginobili is a force, and even injured he's better than most.

#5 – Ray Allen – So why no Vince again? A couple of reasons. First of all, his numbers will probably see a drop in Orlando next year as his role will undoubtedly have to change in that Magic system. Even if he doesn't change his role and continues scoring 20+ points a night, it would be to the detriment of a really good young team, in which case I can't put him in the top five anyway. Compared to Ray Allen—someone who just never stops knocking down threes, including several clutch shots in last year's playoffs—Carter isn't quite the same class of player. He's an amazing athlete and the skill is certainly there, but in terms of being a better player and all-around shooter, Allen nips him out of the top five by a hair.

Its nice seeing Joe get some respect. Roy is absolutely a shooting guard and Vince should have been on the list.

first tier

1. Kobe

2. Wade

second tier (these two guys are interchangable. I am not sure who is better.)

3. Joe

4. Roy

third tier

5. Vince

6. Ray

7 Manu

Its nice seeing Joe get some respect. Roy is absolutely a shooting guard and Vince should have been on the list.

first tier

1. Kobe

2. Wade

second tier (these two guys are interchangable. I am not sure who is better.)

3. Joe

4. Roy

third tier

5. Vince

6. Ray

7 Manu

yea i agree with your list:

1. Kobe

2. Wade

3. Joe Johnson

4. Roy

5. Vince or Ray Allen

Kobe

Wade

Roy

JJ

Vince

Allen

Manu is to inconsistent, he'll give you 25 one night and give you 7 and 7 turnovers the next

• Moderators

The fact that Ray Allen is No. 5 on some lists goes to show how shallow this position is right now in the NBA. I can't recall a time when a player as mediocre as the 2009 Ray Allen got the #5 spot on the list of the best SGs in the NBA.

The fact that Ray Allen is No. 5 on some lists goes to show how shallow this position is right now in the NBA. I can't recall a time when a player as mediocre as the 2009 Ray Allen got the #5 spot on the list of the best SGs in the NBA.

You're so right, I was trying so hard to think of someone else to put in that spot but I just couldn't.

Kevin Martin plays for a HORRIBLE team so i seem to always forget about him, Michael Redd is just another Ray Allen in my opinion so pretty much you're trading one for another, Iggy uh........................NO

• Admin

Kevin Martin plays for a HORRIBLE team so i seem to always forget about him, Michael Redd is just another Ray Allen in my opinion so pretty much you're trading one for another, Iggy uh........................NO

Iggy is a sf.

I think Martin is probably better then Ray now in this point in their careers. As for Redd...he seems to always be hurt. I think he is a little overrated and way overpaid too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin

What about Ben Gordon?

Gordon is one of the most onedemensional players in the league. He can't pass or doesn't want to, he is undersized and he is an absolute terrible defender. He is a good shooter but that would not put him in these others guys class. His limitations was a major reason Chicago could not start him and was more then willing to let him go and sign with Detroit.