Fox Sports: Josh Smith/Jamal Crawford - top10 stat-stuffers?

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Josh Smith

Few players can fill up a stat sheet like the absurdly athletic Smith, a 6-foot-9, 240-pounder whose vicious dunks and ferocious swats regularly populate the nightly highlights.But he's one of many talented young players around the league who don't do the little things necessary to win games. He doesn't always play hard. He pouts. He complains. He racks up techs. He forces bad shots. At 23, his immaturity may be temporary. But not everyone grows out of a bad attitude.

Jamal Crawford

Drafted in 2000, the 29-year-old Crawford has produced points everywhere he's gone. In fact, he's one of four players to score at least 50 in a game for three NBA teams. (Wilt Chamberlain, Moses Malone and Bernard King are the others.) Yet in a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs, he's never played a single postseason game. His 597 games without a playoff appearance mark the sixth-longest streak in league history. Some of that is bad luck, of course. But it also might have something to do with Crawford's abysmal shot selection,reluctance to pass and aversion to defense. Grossly overpaid by Isiah Thomas, Crawford's last two teams have been desperate to unload his contract. Now with the Hawks, he should end his playoff drought unlesshe messes up a good thing in Atlanta.
Edited by mrhonline

He racks up technical fouls? He only had 9 last year, which is outside the top 20. More "mature" players like Lebron, Dwight, Paul, and Wade all had more technicals. I agree with most of that, description except he isn't a technical foul machine like other players and definitely doesn't complain as much as other players in this league. A little harsh criticism of Josh by someone who probably only watched the nationally televised games.

i agree with this... he doesnt get techs

He racks up technical fouls? He only had 9 last year, which is outside the top 20. More "mature" players like Lebron, Dwight, Paul, and Wade all had more technicals. I agree with most of that, description except he isn't a technical foul machine like other players and definitely doesn't complain as much as other players in this league. A little harsh criticism of Josh by someone who probably only watched the nationally televised games.

I find it kind of funny, that guys like Lebron and Wade get all the bs calls they could want,

and they still complain more than anyone else.

For the role he'll have for us, I don't mind that.

I will miss Flip, though.

Flip didn't make it because he wasn't good enough to be mentioned in the same article with those 10 guys.

I hope Smith and Crawford post this article inside their lockers.

Josh is growing up and will finally have an experienced man, Joe Smith, to kick his butt in the practice and the game. Hopefully Joe can beat the Antoine Walker out of him.

Crawford has always played with rebuilding and injury riddled teams without much direction. We will finally know this year what he is made of.

The criticism is valid but the issues they are talking about could be coached? Or at least it is possible, depending up on the coach. I agree tha Joe Smith would help. Both these guys need to realize that it's time to grow up and put the team before their stats.

I don't feel Smoove puts stats before the team. He doesn't come off as a selfish player to me. If it's the poor shot selection thing, a lot of those are wide open and given to him. I don't see him "force" anything to a degree that it's obvious that's he's trying to score a ton of points.

The criticism is valid but the issues they are talking about could be coached? Or at least it is possible, depending up on the coach. I agree tha Joe Smith would help. Both these guys need to realize that it's time to grow up and put the team before their stats.

Im still waiting on any actual evidence that these two are all about stats . I know smoove has always been a team player although a little temperamental at times and Ive yet to find anything about Crawford that says he wasnt a team player .I even read some warriors stuff where they were surprised that when Crawford went back to-play the knicks for the first time that the knicks played a video tribute to him. he seems to be a stand up likable guy who does whatever the coaches ask. he seems to be a pretty well respected player around the league to me.

Look at who came in 2nd place...

It's not flattering at all to be on this list. Look at the guys that they're talking about. Almost all of those guys could be characterized as being "overrated" . . which is why the "stat stuffer" title is kind of tongue and cheek. They're saying that these players put up stats, but may not be guys that you want to add to build a winning team. If anybody went through this entire list, look at what the first page says:

Their numbers just don't add up

In basketball, not everything is quantifiable. That's why it can be misleading to judge a player's value solely by his statistics. Stats don't measure small but significant things like setting a solid screen or playing good positional defense. They don't measure intangible qualities like competitiveness or a positive attitude. FOXSports.com NBA editor John Galinsky lists 10 current players who put up big numbers but aren't as valuable as their stats suggest. Some are All-Stars. Some aren't. But for all these guys, the whole really is less than the sum of its parts.

It just goes to show just how much of a "wild card" Crawford is, if he's #2 on this list. We all know that Smith is a wild card.

It's like I said at the time this move was made . . if Woody gets fired, it's gonna be Crawford who gets him fired, with his poor shot selection and defense.

LOL , Smoove always put the team before the stats, so save it.. Obviously the genius who wrote this article doesn't watch the Hawks play much if at all...

LOL, Smoove always sometimes put the team before the stats, ( until he gets frustrated or tries to do too much ) , so save it. Obviously the genius who wrote this article doesn't watch the Hawks play much if at all... but knows some of Josh's tendencies.

corrected

Edited by northcyde