• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague has it good!

Wurider05

Unlike our other rookies in the past he won't be forced out there. He can take his time and develop his game without the pressure. Kindof like how they brought Stuckey along in Detroit. Now Woody needs to commit to giving him consistent minutes a night.

If he really excels this year is there a chance he puts Bibby on the bench?

I think the depth and multiple matchup also put him in situations where he can succeed. That can't be said for any of our guys who played as rookies. Smoove was pretty much alone. Al didn't have much muscle to help him. MW was expected to do a lot early on. I think you are right.

Unlike our other rookies in the past he won't be forced out there. He can take his time and develop his game without the pressure. Kindof like how they brought Stuckey along in Detroit. Now Woody needs to commit to giving him consistent minutes a night.

If he really excels this year is there a chance he puts Bibby on the bench?

I don't think he'll see the starting lineup no matter how good he becomes only because Bibby is a vet that Woody praises a lot. I do hope that Woody has more patience with Teauge then he did with Acie, but not too much patience, cause the regular season is GO TIME, not 'grooming a rookie for the future' time. If we sucked then I'd be all for pushing a bunch of minutes Teagues way, but we're trying to be an elite team in the east and Bibby is the vet we need in there. I do have high hopes for Teague though and I do believe he can help THIS SEASON.

Edited by KDT88

Teague will be starting by next season!! I believe he could deserve a starting nod after the all-star break but for right now Teague and Crawford are a great combination off the bench.

Teague may become great sooner than we think but will likely be competing sixth man with Crawford to not affect the chemistry of the starters.

To me, playing time is more important than starting. I know that most NBA players don's see it that way.

Being a starter instead of coming off the bench is apparently a big ego boost. That is one of the main

reasons that Childress left, if we are to believe what we read. He wasn't a starter.

Bibby may be willing to come off the bench - - Lets say, after the all star break. Bibby is veteran enough

that no longer being a starter is a matter of life and death. Being a leader, a huge contributor to the victories

and being one of the reasons that the team has a winning record may now mean more that the word, "starter."

Hawks have two pretty good point guards. One coming and one going. Teague isn't there yet. There are many

valueable lessons yet to be learned. Bibby isn't gone yet. Somewhere on the far side of his peak, he still has

a lot of basketball left. As his physical skills diminish, his experience will carry him thru. Hawks have the best of

both worlds.

If Atlanta can stay healthy and Woody can bring himself to make use of his bench and not have a shorter and

shorter rotation, good things for the Hawks and Hawk fans are possible.

GO HAWKS!!!

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

• Like 1

Great, great post GM. Could not agree more. And an interesting take on Bibby no less.

I like what I have seen from Teague, and even the most skeptical and cynical of us gotta admit that he has shown some promise. Do I think he will eventually supplant Bibby as the starter? Yes. Do I think it will be this year? No. I don't think he will get enough playing time to make that decisive and amenable (plus Bibby is a proven vet that makes this team go).

However, we do need a PG who can play good defense and guard an opponent's PG to keep JJ from having to do it. This will also improve our team defensively. Yes, it will take some time for Teague to get used to the NBA and wrestle the reigns of the team away from Bibby, but until then, Teague must do everything in his power to assert himself defensively, have the jump shot going for him, display top-notch leadership, and distribute the ball effectively while minimizing turnovers. The sooner he does that, the sooner the job will be his, the "PG of the future" label will come off, and his transformation into "PG of the present and forseeable future" will be materialized.

• Moderators

I think any discussion of Teague starting is way, way too premature. I'm not even giving that a thought.

What I want to see in terms of developing Teague is a consistent role with the team and none of this: 8 min, DNP-CD, 20 min, 7 min, DNP-CD, 13 min, etc. pattern we have seen in the past with Law. He should have clear expectations for what his role will be game in and game out. I don't believe in force feeding him big minutes, but I do believe in giving him a minimum of a small consistent role to develop because we need him both this year and long-term.

I think any discussion of Teague starting is way, way too premature. I'm not even giving that a thought.

What I want to see in terms of developing Teague is a consistent role with the team and none of this: 8 min, DNP-CD, 20 min, 7 min, DNP-CD, 13 min, etc. pattern we have seen in the past with Law. He should have clear expectations for what his role will be game in and game out. I don't believe in force feeding him big minutes, but I do believe in giving him a minimum of a small consistent role to develop because we need him both this year and long-term.

Yeah I see him starting out with 15 mpg and then having it go up or down from there depending on how well hes playing .I think first we have to remember that its only preseason and that when the regular season starts he may not get a call at all.I think he will be allowed to play more of a scoring role beside Crawford the first couple of games and if he does well Woody will give him a shot on the road trip .However if he struggles against The pacers and Wizards I think Woody increases Crawfords and Evans minutes on that road trip. Preseason to regular season for rookie scoring guards is always tricky .

Exactly. Although Law may average 15mins/game from his rookie season... it just didn't feel like that because of all the 30 seconds cameo and DNPs between games. Teague needs to see the floor every game... at least 5-10 minutes per.

I think Teague will start sometime in 2010-11.

Whenever Teague was in the game yesterday, there was certain electricity in the air.

Couple of things I noticed:

1. Teague really hustles on defense. He tries to play like Mario West.

2. Teague creates passing angles like a real point guard, and tries to deliver the ball so that the shooter can shoot in one motion.

3. He is fearless.