• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smoove back to his dumb self :(

JackB1

I dont know why Smoove cannot play well on the road? Immatureity? Not having family and friends around watching you? But he has been a totally different player on the road his whole career.

I would bet that over 80% of his dunks are at home. If the Hawks are to become a better raod team, it has to start with the biggest cause of this problem.......Josh.

Also, I see Smoove is back to his dumb old ways.......jacking up 3's and horrible long range jumpers. What happened? Didn't he realize how well things were working in the 1st 2 games?

I am tired of this team and its Jeckyl / Hyde routine with the home anf the road. I didn't expect us to beat the Lakers at home, but what the heck happens to us on the road???? That 3rd quarter

was one of the worst I have ever seen! How many jump shots in a row do we have to miss before we realize we need to start driving the paint an drawing fouls????

I am done with Smith. He will NEVER be the player we all want him to be. WHEN do you see Horford or Zaza taking wild jump shots? Answer.....NEVER! Why can't Smith do the same?

Yea I was getting really annoyed with him last night. Although I do agree with him that alot of fouls were going the Lakers way he should not be shooting 20 footers. He can't take long-distance shots a foot in front of the 3 pt line. He keep trying to drain that shot but has hit it maybe 20% of the time. Drive the lane and put up a dunk.

LOL u guys are so predictable, it's only one game and you're bytching already.. get over it...

Its only one game, but it shows that Smoove will NEVER change his ways for good. Like I said before, when do you see

Zaza or Horford take 3 point shots with time on the clock? NEVER! Smoove still believe's he can make those...it doesn't

matter how many BRICKS he will throw up. He will hit his one out of 5 and then suddenly he thinks he's Mark Price again.

If I was Woodson, I would fine him 10 grand for EVERY 3 pointer he takes with more than 10 seconds on the shot clock.

Its only one game, but it shows that Smoove will NEVER change his ways for good. Like I said before, when do you see

Zaza or Horford take 3 point shots with time on the clock? NEVER! Smoove still believe's he can make those...it doesn't

matter how many BRICKS he will throw up. He will hit his one out of 5 and then suddenly he thinks he's Mark Price again.

If I was Woodson, I would fine him 10 grand for EVERY 3 pointer he takes with more than 10 seconds on the shot clock.

Better yet, if you we're Woody, grow a set and tell him "no three point shots". It's really simple. A coach has power over the team, Woody needs to make the change.

I dont know why Smoove cannot play well on the road? Immatureity? Not having family and friends around watching you? But he has been a totally different player on the road his whole career.

I would bet that over 80% of his dunks are at home. If the Hawks are to become a better raod team, it has to start with the biggest cause of this problem.......Josh.

Also, I see Smoove is back to his dumb old ways.......jacking up 3's and horrible long range jumpers. What happened? Didn't he realize how well things were working in the 1st 2 games?

I am tired of this team and its Jeckyl / Hyde routine with the home anf the road. I didn't expect us to beat the Lakers at home, but what the heck happens to us on the road???? That 3rd quarter

was one of the worst I have ever seen! How many jump shots in a row do we have to miss before we realize we need to start driving the paint an drawing fouls????

I am done with Smith. He will NEVER be the player we all want him to be. WHEN do you see Horford or Zaza taking wild jump shots? Answer.....NEVER! Why can't Smith do the same?

Stats say he hasn't shot a single 3 pointer yet so I don't see how you can be complaining. That has to be a big improvement.

Hawk88

Stats say he hasn't shot a single 3 pointer yet so I don't see how you can be complaining. That has to be a big improvement.

Hawk88

He shouldn't be taking long jumpers.......PERIOD! You want to argue if they are technically 3's or not won't solve anything.

• Moderators

Hawk88

Did you see the four 20+ foot jumpers he took just inside the 3pt line? I didn't but I looked them up on the game's shot chart. I am hoping that is an exception to his season because if he is taking 40% of his shots as long jumpers in many games then we won't see what we need to out of Josh this year.

He shouldn't be taking long jumpers.......PERIOD! You want to argue if they are technically 3's or not won't solve anything.

The first 2 games (at home), Josh played within himself in a way that was very encouraging and showed maturity and growth in his game. I don't think that, as a team, the Hawks are mature enough to win on the road. I was impressed with how they hung around for the first half, but they've shown that they can't get hit and then hit back on the road.

I honestly think Josh taking those long jumpers was out of frustration with not being able to get it done inside or get the calls. And he's not the only player that started taking bad shots when the going got tough, that's just the MO of these team. They get a little desperate after taking a shot on the road.

I've been one of Josh's biggest critics his first 5 years here, but I was really impressed with his first 2 games and am seeing signs that he CAN become the player the Hawks were hoping. I think the knocks everyone's taking on him about his jumpers versus the Lakers could apply to the whole team... just got down, desperate, and started taking bad shots. Just a bad night...

From the ESPN shot chart, it looks like he clanked at least 4 from just inside the 3pt line (i.e., the worst possible shot selection).

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/shotchart?gameId=291101013

Exactly. The one shot he made was a gift bank from God.

I think his problem is more laziness than intelligence. He doesn't want to get in there and work like Horford, Zaza, Joe Smith, and even Marvin. Bibby attacked the paint more than Josh did last night.

From the ESPN shot chart, it looks like he clanked at least 4 from just inside the 3pt line (i.e., the worst possible shot selection).

Exactly.. So far, he's shown himself to be either uncoachable or wrongly-coached. (The latter would mean that Woodson has asked him to keep taking these shots.) Since he's taking these long shots, and he makes maybe 1 out of every 5, he might as well take the extra step back so when they do fall, they're worth 1.5 times as much.

• Moderators

On the road he knows he won't get boo'd every time he attempts a jumper so it was bombs away. :brick wall:

If I were a fan of the home team in an Atlanta road game I would cheer him every shot. Heck, if I was a player on the other team I would heartily congratulate him on both attempts and makes and ask him why his coach won't let him do that more often because couldn't he be an All-Star if he had that freedom?

On the road he knows he won't get boo'd every time he attempts a jumper so it was bombs away. :brick wall:

I don't think it is just that. Smoove seems to put up more threes in losses than wins. I think this has more to do with the other teams defense (better team thus the loss) than his disregard for getting to the rack. He may also have some confidence issues as well when it comes to driving past or posting up a player like Garnett, Odum, or Rashard.

Smoove just needs to find a way to beat bigger players using his athletic abilty and quickness vs their size and strength. Seems he does this against weaker teams; but lacks the confidence at times against better teams.

Once he understands that getting to the foul line is better than chucking a long bomb no matter who he is matched up against, the sooner these types of games will become non existant. I think he has made strides over the last two seasons and IMO he can continue to improve.

Actually it was 6 !

The ESPN shot chart goes by quarter. Smoove clanked 4, from just inside the 3 point line, in the 1st quarter alone...........then 2 more as the game played out

All in all Smoove went 0-6 from the outside...........long rebounds from missed perimeter jumpers lead to fast breaks.

Add to it that Smoove also turned the ball over 5 times (not counting the 6 missed perimeter shots he had no business shooting in the first place.)

6 perimeter jumpers and 5 turnovers is not what we need from Smoove.

If he pulls this crap again I want to see Joe Smith in the game more.

Edited by coachx

His shot selection is mostly on himself but the offense Woody "designs" also has a huge influence on why he's positioned out 22 feet on the elbow. It's not like he dribbles out to the deep corner and shoots but just the way Woody wants him there so JJ and only JJ can work on the other side. If you (Woody) insist on having him on the perimeter, atleast put him out on the wing where his shot is better(probably not by much).

I don't understand why he didn't have many chances at a post play where something good usually happens. One on one plays against a Phil Jackson coached defense probably is not going to work as he has coached and self scouted the best iso player to play in the NBA. A huge portion of the turnovers were when dudes are trying to "do their thing".

Actually it was 6 !

The ESPN shot chart goes by quarter. Smoove clanked 4, from just inside the 3 point line, in the 1st quarter alone...........then 2 more as the game played out

All in all Smoove went 0-6 from the outside............those missed outside shots are like turnovers...........long rebounds from missed perimeter jumpers lead to fast breaks.

I really think it is a confidence issue with Smoove. When he sees a player with the wing span and quickness of Odom, his only thought is shoot over him. When he figures out how to draw a foul without turning the ball over on a consistent basis he will be dangerous night in and night out.

Most nights he does this; which tells me the ability is there, he just needs to trust himself.

Edited by Buzzard

Funy thing is I was listening to the LA Broadcast and every time Smoove took a long jumper the announcer said " thats where the Lakers want Smith shooting from".

I gues the whole world knows except for Josh.

Edited by JackB1