• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is it just me ?

coachx

Agreed.

In 82 games, does it really matter? That's why the season is so long. The NBA weeds out the "contenders" with the "pretenders". All teams go through injuries, and unless it's a season ending one to your francise player, there's no excuse. When we look back after the all-star break, are we really going to say that the win vs. Denver the seventh game of the season was a fluke because K-Mart was hurt?? I doubt it. Part of the game.

Not on this board.

But if one of the Hawks starters gets hurt for a few weeks and the Hawks struggle in his absence at the end of the year there will be a bunch of people saying we would have won x more games if so and so hadn't gotten hurt.

Edited by exodus

Not on this board.

But if one of the Hawks starters gets hurt for a few weeks and the Hawks struggle in his absence at the end of the year there will be a bunch of people saying we would have won x more games if so and so hadn't gotten hurt.

I agree with that too. Mainly because most people around here follow the team for all 82 games and when a player like Zaza is starting at center instead of an injured Horf, it's all Zaza's fault for not being as effective. I hear ya...

I've been guilty. I won't deny it. I think the Hawks have a better showing in the second round vs. the Cavs if we're healthy. Do we win with everyone healthy, no. Do we get swept? I dunno, moot point. But injuries happen all the time, and they're unfortunate. Shouldn't ever be an excuse to why you win or lose a game in November or a series in June.

Not on this board.

The quality of depth is the detrimental issue.

Last year we could ill afford some of the injuries that we can easily live through this year. The added depth will also help our players rest more and that will reduce the number of injuries.

A Denver team without quality depth is handicapped when Kevin Martin is out, but a deep Lakers or Magic team can play well without a major piece.

If it is valid in both cases then why did you post this?

That doesn't look like a post from some someone who thinks it is a valid excuse in both cases.

Look, I think it is a valid excuse in both cases but I'm not going to complain about the Hawks winning a game because the other team had some injuries. I'm a fan not an analyst. Basically you're saying that the Hawks aren't good enough to beat a healthy team.

I don't know. Maybe I thought this was the thread about being positive when the Hawks win.... This must be the injury tracking thread. My bad.

Yeah that means that we should blame the Lakers loss on Pau not being healthy. If Pau was healthy they wouldn't have exploited our mismatches with Bynum in the post and thus put us in the position where we had to play small because of fouls which caused the Lakers to load up on turnovers and rebounds and then they pulled away.

• Premium Member

Not on this board.

Marvin was injured for the latter half of the season and we count none of the losses we had during that time as Injury related. IN fact, I said (on the record) that we didn't miss Marvin. That's winning or losing.

Look, I think it is a valid excuse in both cases but I'm not going to complain about the Hawks winning a game because the other team had some injuries. I'm a fan not an analyst. Basically you're saying that the Hawks aren't good enough to beat a healthy team.

I don't know. Maybe I thought this was the thread about being positive when the Hawks win.... This must be the injury tracking thread. My bad.

Please point out where i complained about the win or said they weren't good enough to beat a healthy Denver team.

The thread starter was asking why people werent more excited about blowing out Denver. I merely pointed out that part of the reason may be that we got blown out by Charlotte the night before and beat a short handed Denver team. That is all i said but i guess that response wasn't homerific enough for some people.

• Premium Member

Please point out where i complained about the win or said they weren't good enough to beat a healthy Denver team.

The thread starter was asking why people werent more excited about blowing out Denver. I merely pointed out that part of the reason may be that we got blown out by Charlotte the night before and beat a short handed Denver team. That is all i said but i guess that response wasn't homerific enough for some people.

Ex, you do this every year. Every year, the Hawks beat a team and you start making excuses for the other team's loss.... That's what you do.

• Premium Member

Why Hawks fans think this team is in the top-tier of the NBA is mind-boggling. Seen the hawks vs the elites lately? This team is plagued with toughness and defensive issues and until those issues are resolved they will continue stack up these empty wins and get embarrassed when faced with quality opponents. Call me a bad fan if you what but I see myself as an objective fan.

:offtopic2: But they kinda remind me of this year's Falcons.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Why Hawks fans think this team is in the top-tier of the NBA is mind-boggling. Seen the hawks vs the elites lately? This team is plagued with toughness and defensive issues and until those issues are resolved they will continue stack up these empty wins and get embarrassed when faced with quality opponents. Call me a bad fan if you what but I see myself as an objective fan.

:offtopic2: But they kinda remind me of this year's Falcons.

First off, every team is plagued with something. However, the Hawks just played one of those elite teams and it was a blow out. Being that Denver was undefeated without JR Smith.... for their first 5 games, playing the Hawks without him makies no difference.

Here's what the preview for the nuggs next game says:

After opening 5-0 for the first time in 24 seasons, the Nuggets are looking to avoid a three-game skid following losses at Miami and Atlanta.

"We didn't have enough energy. We never did get a grip,'' coach George Karl said following Saturday's 125-100 loss to the Hawks.

The 125 points were the most allowed by Denver since a 127-99 defeat at the Los Angeles Lakers on Nov. 29, 2007.

All in all that means that we gave Denver an *ss whipping of historic proportions.

We are definitely better than teams of .500 level. We're definitely better than teams that will be in the bottom 4 of the playoff bracket in the East. We are a top 4 team in the east. Period.

Being that Denver was undefeated without JR Smith.... for their first 5 games, playing the Hawks without him makies no difference.

Every one of their victories has been at home and three of them were against NJ, Memphis and Indy.

JR averaged 15 ppg last year and shot 40% from 3. Just because they won some games without but that doesn't mean Joey Graham is an adequate replacment.

And of course you don't even mention KMart. They are 0-2 since he got hurt.

I expect the Hawks to beat any team that is starting Joey Graham and Rolando Balkman.

• Premium Member

Every one of their victories has been at home and three of them were against NJ, Memphis and Indy.

JR averaged 15 ppg last year and shot 40% from 3. Just because they won some games without but that doesn't mean Joey Graham is an adequate replacment.

And of course you don't even mention KMart. They are 0-2 since he got hurt.

I expect the Hawks to beat any team that is starting Joey Graham and Rolando Balkman.

Why not tell the whole truth Ex. Why not tell that their first wins were against Utah and At Portland?? Is it just not in you to offer the whole story? I mean, that's all you offer.. the small tidbits that you believe will help your point. However, without Smith, they have beaten 5. teams. Including Utah and Portland. Without Smith, they have lost to two teams with a combined record of 9-3. We were one of those teams. BTW, you disrespect Chauncey Billups, Nene, and Carmello Anthony when you make statements that any team with those other two are beatable. Last time I looked, nobody cared about KMart and JR Smith is not a major component.

Why not tell the whole truth Ex. Why not tell that their first wins were against Utah and At Portland?? Is it just not in you to offer the whole story? I mean, that's all you offer.. the small tidbits that you believe will help your point. However, without Smith, they have beaten 5. teams. Including Utah and Portland. Without Smith, they have lost to two teams with a combined record of 9-3. We were one of those teams. BTW, you disrespect Chauncey Billups, Nene, and Carmello Anthony when you make statements that any team with those other two are beatable. Last time I looked, nobody cared about KMart and JR Smith is not a major component.

LOL @ you talking about telling the whole story. You were the one who posted that Denver was healthy even though they were missing two starters.

If Joey Graham and Rolando Balkman were on our roster they would be piling up DNPs.

The Hawks were undefeated last year without JJ. I guess he isn't a major component to our team.

Dumb and irrelevant post.

The pattern here for years is that if a Hawk is injured people will openly blame a loss on the Hawks injuries . But if the opposing team is missing players people just ignore it and pretend like they were healthy. Just the mere mention of an opposing team injury is raging heresy. That is just blind homerism.

Nowhere did i say that the Hawks would have lost if KMart and Smith were playing but that doesn't stop the homers from saying that i am making excuses for a win. All i was doing was stating a fact, that Martin and Smith were out. Some people just aren't interested in facts.

Thats the nature of the game . EVERY FAN BASE does the same thing. You dont think the Lakers fans are saying they would be undefeated if they had Pau ? Is it not natural for fans to assume their team is better fully healthy then when guys are out injured ? Your argument is shallow and petty simply because you seem to operate under some delusion that Hawks fans are the only ones that do this when all fans across all sports do the exact same thing.

Everyone nows Kmart and Smith are out why does it have to be stated AFTER WE WIN ? Could we have decided to not play the game ? Regardless of who is on the otherside we still have to go out and play the game . Considering we just lost to the Bobcats the night before and a win on the second night of a back to back is not guaranteed by any means. The nature of playing an 82game season dictates that there will probably be a time when teams will play us when we are shorthanded and vice versa .

• Like 2

Thats the nature of the game . EVERY FAN BASE does the same thing. You dont think the Lakers fans are saying they would be undefeated if they had Pau ? Is it not natural for fans to assume their team is better fully healthy then when guys are out injured ? Your argument is shallow and petty simply because ]you seem to operate under some delusion that Hawks fans are the only ones that do this when all fans across all sports do the exact same thing.

Please point out where i said Hawks fans are the only ones that do this.

Everyone nows Kmart and Smith are out why does it have to be stated AFTER WE WIN ?

Because the thread was started by someone WHO DIDN'T WATCH THE GAME. He didn't know that Denver was missing two starters. In fact he thought Denver was undefeated coming into the game.

I come back fom from a short weekend vacation expecting to see some good new threads on the squawk after we blow out an undeadeated Nuggets team

He had no clue that they started Joey Graham and Rolando Balkman. Duh

Edited by exodus

Can we all just agree on a few things here?

1. The Hawks will play games with injured key players this year.

2. The Hawks opponents will play games with injured key players this year.

3. The key injuries are not likely to be even and we all hope (even if it gives us an excuse) that the Hawks come out on top as far as injuries are concerned.

So far we've been fortunate in this balance and I hope that is the case for the remainder of the season.

• Premium Member

LOL @ you talking about telling the whole story. You were the one who posted that Denver was healthy even though they were missing two starters.

If Joey Graham and Rolando Balkman were on our roster they would be piling up DNPs.

The Hawks were undefeated last year without JJ. I guess he isn't a major component to our team.

That's because I have seen Kmart miss just about a whole season and Denver make the playoffs and be one of the top teams in the West. JR Smith is good but he's no Billups or Anthony. Right now, Carmelo Anthony is getting MVP recognition. He's leading the league in scoring. He has lost weight. His team was winning. When they came in, nobody said.. Oh... JR Smith and KMart are out. Mainly because they hadn't played a game with Smith and had beenwinning and Kmart is not a major player anymore. Therefore, with their major players healthy, I consider them healthy.

ALSO, nobody thought that we would blow them out and score 125 points on them. It was a beating of historic proportions.

Edited by Diesel

That's because I have seen Kmart miss just about a whole season and Denver make the playoffs and be one of the top teams in the West. JR Smith is good but he's no Billups or Anthony. Right now, Carmelo Anthony is getting MVP recognition. He's leading the league in scoring. He has lost weight. His team was winning. When they came in, nobody said.. Oh... JR Smith and KMart are out. Mainly because they hadn't played a game with Smith and had beenwinning and Kmart is not a major player anymore. Therefore, with their major players healthy, I consider them healthy.

ALSO, nobody thought that we would blow them out and score 125 points on them. It was a beating of historic proportions.

Let me ask you and everyone else in this thread a simple question.

If the Hawks played a 7 game series with Denver (without JR and KMart) who do you think would win? I think the Hawks would win.

Let me ask you and everyone else in this thread a simple question.

If the Hawks played a 7 game series with Denver (without JR and KMart) who do you think would win? I think the Hawks would win.

I also think that the Hawks would win. Then again I think that the Hawks could win if both squads are healthy although it would certainly be more competitive.