• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin puts on Superman cape vs. Rockets, but is it for one night?

hawks21

Marvin played great vs. Houston, and without his performance the Hawks would have lost. However, he scored 20+ points against an above .500 team for the first time since 2007.

The Hawks are definitely a more feared team when Marvin puts on his Superman cape and exploit his potential against the better teams in the NBA. Houston has a bunch of young no-name guys like Carl Landry, Chuck Hayes, Luis Scola and even Aaron Brooks, but this team extended the Lakers to seven guys without Tracy McGrady and Yao.

Marvin's next big test is against Orlando. Will Marvin turn back to CLARK KENT at the sight of Vince Carter and/or Dwight Howard?

Memo to Marvin: Don't wait another two years before having a BIG GAME vs. an above .500 team... especially at HOME..

Marvin played great vs. Houston, and without his performance the Hawks would have lost. However, he scored 20+ points against an above .500 team for the first time since 2007.

Marvin had 31 at Denver last year. Sorry you missed it.

In 2008 he had 20 against Denver and 21 against the Cavs.

sucks8.jpg

• Like 2

Marvin Shocked the heck out of me tonight. Didn't see this explosion coming. Normally he reserves these kind of performances when JJ gets injured. I hope Marv Da Truf has turned the corner. I am neutral about Marvin. I hope he, like Horf and Josh, takes that next step this year. let me be a homer for a second and say...........Chris Paul who? lol

Marvin Shocked the heck out of me tonight. Didn't see this explosion coming. Normally he reserves these kind of performances when JJ gets injured. I hope Marv Da Truf has turned the corner. I am neutral about Marvin. I hope he, like Horf and Josh, takes that next step this year. let me be a homer for a second and say...........Chris Paul who? lol

I thought he turned the corner a little in the previous game. He started out two for nine but kept shooting and ended up going five for twelve (3 for his last 3). Shooters have to keep shooting to break out of a slump. I did not hear anyone say it; but I think Woody and his team mates encouraged him to do just that these last two games.

Edited by Buzzard

I thought he turned the corner a little in the previous game. He started out two for nine but kept shooting and ended up going five for twelve (3 for his last 3). Shooters have to keep shooting to break out of a slump. I did not hear anyone say it; but I think Woody and his team mates encouraged him to do just that these last two games.

Entering his fifth year and having starter's minutes for almost the same amount of time, I had hoped he had turned the proverbial corner.

Marvin has to encourage himself and see himself as someone who is capable of carrying a team and making shots. IT'S MOSTLY MENTAL, NOT PHYSICAL. Teams have left Marvin open, daring him to shoot threes or leave the lane open and drive to the basket. Often he has missed jumpers or decide to pass it off or if he goes to the basket, he goes too timidly and gets his shot BLOCKED or lose control of the ball.

Marvin has been non-existent against the better teams in the NBA. That's an undeniable fact.

Hopefully, the explosion vs. the Rockets will be Marvin's awakening.

Edited by hawks21

I'd much rather for Marvin to consistently make 50% of his shots, than to worry about him scoring 20 points against good teams.

On most nights, he's not going to get enough shot attempts to get 20 pts. Because of that, it's more important that he consistently goes 6 - 11 . . . 7 - 14 FGs, with a couple of 3pt makes sprinkled in there. He may not come close to getting 19 shots in a game for the rest of the year, so efficient shooting is a must for him.

What he did last night though, was help himself a little. He knocked down early shots, which gained the confidence of his teammates to pass him the ball. Most important, he crashed the offensive boards. I think he got 4 or 6 extra points simply by putting back offensive rebounds.

Edited by northcyde

I'd much rather for Marvin to consistently make 50% of his shots, than to worry about him scoring 20 points against good teams.

On most nights, he's not going to get enough shot attempts to get 20 pts. Because of that, it's more important that he consistently goes 6 - 11 . . . 7 - 14 FGs, with a couple of 3pt makes sprinkled in there. He may not come close to getting 19 shots in a game for the rest of the year, so efficient shooting is a must for him.

What he did last night though, was help himself a little. He knocked down early shots, which gained the confidence of his teammates to pass him the ball. Most important, he crashed the offensive boards. I think he got 4 or 6 extra points simply by putting back offensive rebounds.

Agree 100%. More about efficiency that point totals, because that is totally out of the ordinary for Marvin to get that many shots. But when other guys are off or in foul trouble, etc then Marvin can come in and be relied on maybe for a 20+ point night

Agree 100%. More about efficiency that point totals, because that is totally out of the ordinary for Marvin to get that many shots. But when other guys are off or in foul trouble, etc then Marvin can come in and be relied on maybe for a 20+ point night

I dunno BBIB...I sure wouldn't count on it. Ex made a post above that demonstrated that Marvin had a few good games in the past - but they tend to be few and far between. The key to what you posted is "come in and be relied on"....I'm from (near) Missouri...show me...on a regular basis.

Honestly I would put my money on Crawford to buck up the team more often. I hope Marvin has turned the corner with this one good game tho.

Edited by DJlaysitup

It just shows our depth. We can't expect Marvin to do this every night. We have too many talented players, offensively, too expect him to consistently do it. What's special about last night is when our stud is struggling, and Smoove is in foul trouble, we have other s capable of leading us - Marv, Craws - to a victory over a quality team. WHo saw that coming? It's a testament to the team as a whole. Our roster is stockpiled full of guys capable of leading us on any given night. It's a luxury most teams don't have.

Entering his fifth year and having starter's minutes for almost the same amount of time, I had hoped he had turned the proverbial corner.

Marvin has to encourage himself and see himself as someone who is capable of carrying a team and making shots. IT'S MOSTLY MENTAL, NOT PHYSICAL. Teams have left Marvin open, daring him to shoot threes or leave the lane open and drive to the basket. Often he has missed jumpers or decide to pass it off or if he goes to the basket, he goes too timidly and gets his shot BLOCKED or lose control of the ball.

Marvin has been non-existent against the better teams in the NBA. That's an undeniable fact.

Hopefully, the explosion vs. the Rockets will be Marvin's awakening.

I was talking about turning the corner on his slump; not his performance over the last four years. I don't judge Marvins game based on where he was drafted. I judge it on what we pay him. He is payed like a starter and not a very high scoring/performing one.

Marvin has done fine by me considering his pay. Would I like him to exceed that? Absolutely. Do I think he can? Absolutely. Would I like to have a lineup like the Celtics, Lakers, or the Cavs with four or five players that will or already do make well over 10 mill a year? Absolutely.

But if he gives us "only" 14 and 5 or 6 I am not going to be disgruntled. Some teams can afford 4 or 5 players making 10 mill or more; I do not think we are one of those teams.

That is just my opinion; but the ASG has not done anything to make me think differently since they took over ownership.

The points arent as important as the aggressiveness imo . The second unit needs a starter to stay on the floor with them so he has to remain focused and active even when his shot isnt falling. What we are gonna need from him by the time the playoffs come is for him to be a steady contributor on the glass .He will get his scoring opportunities he is too good of a player surrounded by too many other weapon to not eventually end up with solid numbers