• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jamal Crawford street-legal shake-n-bake

Crank

illegal street move or within the rules creativity  

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interesting discussion on Jamal Crawfords signature move by Henry Abbot I wonder when they will do one about Lebrons crab dribble .

rest of article here

I just ran across a video how-to of Jamal Crawford's "shake-n-bake."

It's a very cool move. Honestly, for Christmas, I'd like that in my game.

Is it traveling, though?

Not if you do it well.

I know the rules say you're not supposed to gather the ball, and then take off and land on the same foot. Check the video rulebook. Jumping from two feet and landing on two feet would seem to violate that rule once on the right and again on the left, if you see what I mean, if you gather the ball and then hop from one jump stop into another.

It can be done legally, though. Watch some video of legal jump stops. You're OK if you start the jump before you gather the ball.

Or, a simpler way to make it NBA street legal is to be careful to jump off just one leg, then land for the jump stop, before jumping to shoot or pass (you can not then pivot).

The video rulebook explains: "The offensive player on this play gathers the ball, alights from his right foot, and then lands with both feet simultaneously on the floor. Note that at this point, the player may not pivot; if he lifts either foot, the ball must be released prior to that foot returning to the floor."

youtube instructional video LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GTylD24IXw

and actual move in real time. I see why Hinrich gets frustrated guarding Crawford now :)

According to the rule book no.

However, ever slasher in the NBA incorporates the "jump hop" or "two footed jump step" into their games. Dominque got away with it after his vintage spin-moves back in the mid 80's.

Stuff like that is what gets Americans in trouble in the international tournaments where that stuff don't fly with the international refs.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

I don't see how its not legal unless as you mention you do it wrong. He's actually not taking any steps. He's dribbling until he lands and then jumps from both feet. The behind the back is still a dribble. If he picks it up before the first jump then that's borderline because essentially he has a pivot foot that he's picking up. But to me he's making that first jump while he's dribbling, then lands and jumps.

• Premium Member

I don't see how its not legal unless as you mention you do it wrong. He's actually not taking any steps. He's dribbling until he lands and then jumps from both feet. The behind the back is still a dribble. If he picks it up before the first jump then that's borderline because essentially he has a pivot foot that he's picking up. But to me he's making that first jump while he's dribbling, then lands and jumps.

He only takes a step and a hop after the dribble. If you're saying the hop is illegal then he's wrong.. but if that's the case, half of the nba is wrong. It's nasty though. It's more legal than Lebron's crab dribble.

• Premium Member

He only takes a step and a hop after the dribble. If you're saying the hop is illegal then he's wrong.. but if that's the case, half of the nba is wrong. It's nasty though. It's more legal than Lebron's crab dribble.

Speaking of embarrasing.