22.Joseph Gordon-Levitt

23.Morgan Freeman

24.Harrison Ford

25.Lawrence Fishburne

26.Glenn Ford

27.Lee Marvin

28.Harry Dean Stanton

29.Richard Widmark

30.Jackie Gleason-If he would have had more film roles he would have got more credit. He is great in The Hustler and Requiem for a Heavyweight.

Obviously guys like Arnie doesn't belong on a greatest list, but I feel like a greatest list doesn't have to be the same as a favorites list.

Things that often win me over are: longevity, charisma and intensity. There isn't a lot of subtle guys there, but I'm not a subtle type of person.=)

• Premium Member

I don't know if I can get 30, but here goes:

1. Gene Hackman

2. Denzel Washington

3. Robert Downing Jr.

4. Meryl Strepp

5. Anthony Hopkins

6. Daniel Day Lewis

7. Ed. Norton

8. Sam Jackson

9. Phillip Seymour Hoffman

10. David Morse

11. Gary Oldman

12. John Travolta

13. Morgan Freeman

14. Jodie Foster

15. Viggio Neesen

16. Jeremy Irons

17. Jamie Foxx

18. Hale Berry

19. Christopher Walken

20. Ian McKellen

21. Most Def

22. Bruce Wilis (probably goes higher)

23. Reese Witherspoon (she's growing on me)

24. Kevin Spacey

25. Will Smith

26. Robert Redford

27. Ted Levine

28. David Paymer

29. Jeremy Pevin (probably goes Higher)

30. Mark Wahlberg

30. Martin Sheen

30. Annette Benning

Edited by Diesel

I don't know if I can get 30, but here goes:

1. Gene Hackman

2. Denzel Washington

3. Robert Downing Jr.

4. Meryl Strepp

5. Anthony Hopkins

6. Daniel Day Lewis

7. Ed. Norton

8. Sam Jackson

9. Phillip Seymour Hoffman

10. David Morse

11. Gary Oldman

12. John Travolta

13. Morgan Freeman

14. Jodie Foster

15. Viggio Neesen

16. Jeremy Irons

17. Jamie Foxx

18. Hale Berry

19. Christopher Walken

20. Ian McKellen

21. Most Def

22. Bruce Wilis (probably goes higher)

23. Reese Witherspoon (she's growing on me)

24. Kevin Spacey

25. Will Smith

26. Robert Redford

27. Ted Levine

28. David Paymer

29. Jeremy Pevin (probably goes Higher)

30. Mark Wahlberg

30. Martin Sheen

30. Annette Benning

I wish I could see in Will Smith what others see. He's rap stuff is kind of cheesy and he's got the sort of cheesy charisma that I'm not a huge fan of. He rarely takes any chances as an actor and rarely gives a serious performance. His attempt at seriousness is overly sentimental stuff. There is no more actor/personality that I dislike more than Will Smith. Will Smith has to be the be most popular actor ever to have such a mediocre film career. Some would say the same thing for Arnie, but at least he has been in good movies. I wouldn't mind that Will is a blockbuster action star if he found better action movies to be involved with. When Independence Day is a big achievement of your career that says it all from an artistic standpoint.

Lewis isn't on my list because surprisingly There Will Be Blood is the only movie of his that I've got around to seeing.

David Paymer is awesome and so is Ted Levine. Spacey was good before he quit trying...Halle Berry couldn't act her way out of a paper bag though. Bassett is a much better actress.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Premium Member

I wish I could see in Will Smith what others see. He's rap stuff is kind of cheesy and he's got the sort of cheesy charisma that I'm not a huge fan of. He rarely takes any chances as an actor and rarely gives a serious performance. His attempt at seriousness is overly sentimental stuff. There is no more actor/personality that I dislike more than Will Smith. Will Smith has to be the be most popular actor ever to have such a mediocre film career. Some would say the same thing for Arnie, but at least he has been in good movies. I wouldn't mind that Will is a blockbuster action star if he found better action movies to be involved with. When Independence Day is a big achievement of your career that says it all from an artistic standpoint.

Lewis isn't on my list because surprisingly There Will Be Blood is the only movie of his that I've got around to seeing.

David Paymer is awesome and so is Ted Levine. Spacey was good before he quit trying...Halle Berry couldn't act her way out of a paper bag though. Bassett is a much better actress.

I developed my list on what I see in roles and who was believable as the character. My top 10 are guys who everytime out have made me believe that they were who they were supposed to be.

About Will Smith... 4 roles...

1. Enemy of the State.

2. Ali

3. The pursuit of happiness

4. I Robot

First and foremost, I give credit to any actor that can act when there's nothing there. Specifically about I Robot. Nothing there, he had to visualize this robot. However, the other roles, he showed lots of range for who he is as an actor. I know he has done some flops like Wild Wild West and Hancock... but I think his acting ability is still good. Not great... but good.

Hale Berry... '

My first introduction to Hale Berry was in Jungle Fever.. She was very believable. She had a reprise of that in New Jack City... . my second was in some lollypop Movie with Damon Wayans. Then I saw her in introducing Dorthy Dandridge. She was very good. Boomrang = Very good. Losing Isiah.. Very good. Like Smith, she had some roles that I didn't care for such as: Swordfish, Monster's ball, and the Rich Man's wife. However, I think she's a bit better than Bassett.

I developed my list on what I see in roles and who was believable as the character. My top 10 are guys who everytime out have made me believe that they were who they were supposed to be.

1. Enemy of the State.

2. Ali

4. I Robot

First and foremost, I give credit to any actor that can act when there's nothing there. Specifically about I Robot. Nothing there, he had to visualize this robot. However, the other roles, he showed lots of range for who he is as an actor. I know he has done some flops like Wild Wild West and Hancock... but I think his acting ability is still good. Not great... but good.

Ali is his best performance and it's not his fault that it's an uneven movie, there is nothing else I've seen where he convinces me of a character. Smith is mostly a movie star, but he is one that rubs me the wrong way. i don't mean to criticize your list, but he's just not one I like.

Hale Berry... '

My first introduction to Hale Berry was in Jungle Fever.. She was very believable. She had a reprise of that in New Jack City... . my second was in some lollypop Movie with Damon Wayans. Then I saw her in introducing Dorthy Dandridge. She was very good. Boomrang = Very good. Losing Isiah.. Very good. Like Smith, she had some roles that I didn't care for such as: Swordfish, Monster's ball, and the Rich Man's wife. However, I think she's a bit better than Bassett.

I didn't think Boomerang was very good and I don't remember any of the performances sticking out. Bassett has been able to take command of the screen in some of her roles and Berry has not. Berry lacks self confidence and it shows in her work. Even Michelle Pfeiffer gave a way better performance as Catwoman. Halle didn't have a very good decade and it maybe stained her career too much.

1. Enemy of the State.

2. Ali

4. I Robot

I definitely agree that Will Smith is a terrific actor. He was great in Ali and in the Pursuit of Happiness and also in Seven Pounds. I think he did a pretty good job with I Am Legend considering he was the only actor for a large portion of the movie. Also, Hancock wasn't a flop (it wasn't exactly a masterpiece either) but it did pretty well at the box office and has a decent fan rating and they're already developing the sequel.

Hale Berry... '

Halle Berry wasn't in New Jack City but I think she's a talented actress but by far her best job of acting had to have been in Monster's Ball. I will probably always see her as the incredibly sexy girl who is clearly nuts after trying to kill herself over David Justice.

As far as my own list goes it's hard to narrow down to 30 but here goes:

1. Tom Hanks
  2. Anthony Hopkins
  3. Robert De Niro
  4. Jack Nicholson
  5. Al Pacino
  6. Morgan Freeman
  7. Leonardo DiCaprio
  8. Tom Cruise
  9. Will Smith
  10. Johnny Depp
  11. Brad Pitt
  12. Ben Stiller
  13. Edward Norton
  14. Tommy Lee Jones
  15. John Malkovich
  16. Kevin Spacey
  17. Sean Connery
  18. Michael Caine
  19. Phillip Seymour Hoffman
  20. John Travolta
  21. Samuel L Jackson
  22. Mel Gibson
  23. Dustin Hoffman
  24. Bruce Willis
  25. Gene Hackman
  26. Denzel Washington
  27. Julia Roberts
  28. Charlize Theron
  29. Sandra Bullock
  30. Angelina Jolie

Also receiving consideration:

• Joe Pesci
  • Robert Duvall
  • Jim Carrey
  • Christopher Walken
  • Steve Martin
  • Chevy Chase
  • Dan Aykroyd
  • Clint Eastwood
  • Val Kilmer
  • Michael Keaton
  • Helen Hunt
  • Geena Davis
  • Michelle Pfeiffer
  • Sigourney Weaver
  • Diane Keaton

The thing about Will is that he provides the safe bubblegum entertainment that people want these days. His action movies are cartoon like and safe, so the viewers don't have to worried about thinking when it comes to his movies.

Granted he gets the big bucks and I'm sure that's all he is out for. Take a look at Heath Ledger.... When it took the roles for The Dark Knight and Brokeback Mountain he took risks. People were laughing at the thought if Health as The Joker because people they either wanted Johnny Depp or even Crispin Glover over him. Even somebody like Robin Williams has went against the grain doing films like Insomnia and One Hour Photo. What chances has Will Smith ever taken?

Will? Well, maybe he is afraid that he'll miss out on a buck or two. I'm not saying the guy is talentless because he clearly is not... I'm saying that I find it hard to appreciate him since he just plays it safe all the time and appears to only care about money.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Ali is his best performance and it's not his fault that it's an uneven movie, there is nothing else I've seen where he convinces me of a character. Smith is mostly a movie star, but he is one that rubs me the wrong way. i don't mean to criticize your list, but he's just not one I like.

I didn't think Boomerang was very good and I don't remember any of the performances sticking out. Bassett has been able to take command of the screen in some of her roles and Berry has not. Berry lacks self confidence and it shows in her work. Even Michelle Pfeiffer gave a way better performance as Catwoman. Halle didn't have a very good decade and it maybe stained her career too much.

I've been a fan of Bassett for a long time also. I remember her flops too... Like Jacked. Both times she played Betty Shabazz. The time she played Micheal Jackson's mother. However, her best acting job was in waiting to exhale and What's love got to do with it. It was the only times I remember her being vulnerable as an actress. I think for Hale, she has had her flops, but she has been vulnerable and have shown range. PFiffer.. in my opinion is the same person everytime out.

• Premium Member

Halle Berry wasn't in New Jack City...

She may not have received credits for it, but she was Pookie's girlfriend in NJC. She was in the scene before and after the Nino Brown Turkey give away. Check it out again, that crackhead is Hale Berry. Same role as she played as Gator's girlfriend.

PFiffer.. in my opinion is the same person everytime out.

But MF has self confidence and that's why she made Catwoman work. Halle doesn't have self confidence.

With Halle I think her so called range has more to do with lack of self confidence. I've never been been impressed with Halle in any way. My favorite actresses tend have a self confidence about them. Or at least that's the vibe they put it. That's a big thing for me.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Not in order

Robert Dinero

Joe Pescie

Al Pacino

Jeff Bridges

Jimmy Stewart

John Wayne

Paul Newman

Robert Redford

Richard Pryor

Eddie Murphy