• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Newsworthy tidbit on JJ & extension.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Link

Johnson, who stands to become part of the esteemed free agent class of 2010, approached the Hawks about an extension last summer, according to an NBA source, but was told that since his salary cap number is higher than his actual salary, he would be best served to wait until unrestricted free agency and re-sign.Now, that exposes Johnson to free agency, but he would make more money returning to Atlanta than if he had signed an extension last summer. He will have a big decision come July.

My best reasoning here is that JJ requested a max extension. Since he makes ~$1.8M less than his cap hit, the Hawks thought it made more sense to wait things out. A max extension would have been 4 yrs., $69M, so it doesn't seem like they're too far apart (assuming the 4 yrs, $60M is accurate).

If you split the difference and then give JJ a fifth-year, you're looking at the $80 - $85M deal I've been predicting. It's comparable to Brandon Roy and Ray Allen's deals.

Edited by mrhonline

Link

My best reasoning here is that JJ requested a max extension. Since he makes ~$1.8M less than his cap hit, the Hawks thought it made more sense to wait things out. A max extension would have been 4 yrs., $69M, so it doesn't seem like they're too far apart (assuming the 4 yrs, $60M is accurate).

If you split the difference and then give JJ a fifth-year, you're looking at the $80 - $85M deal I've been predicting. It's comparable to Brandon Roy and Ray Allen's deals.

Hope JJ is about the money because we can give him more; and I have never heard JJ say a bad thing about living in Atlanta which I think is a plus when you look at the Knicks, Bulls, and Nets. I detest the winters in Ohio and if I could pick where to work, Atlanta would be high on my list.

Link

Which is what I've said all along. Give him a 5yr - 80 to 90 million deal. Good stuff mrH.

Hope JJ is about the money because we can give him more; and I have never heard JJ say a bad thing about living in Atlanta which I think is a plus when you look at the Knicks, Bulls, and Nets. I detest the winters in Ohio and if I could pick where to work, Atlanta would be high on my list.

Really Buzzard? What's there not to like about the -5 wind chill this morning? I found it invigorating walking from my car into work.

Seriously though, if he leaves this team to any of those three - Knicks, Bulls, Nets - for similar $$$, he's taking a step back. Being almost 30, I would hope he would want to stay and build on what he has been a huge part of here...I like reading that he approached the organization, sign that he may want to stay put.

• Premium Member

Really Buzzard? What's there not to like about the -5 wind chill this morning? I found it invigorating walking from my car into work.

I was gonna say...ain't this the wrong week to post that? :snowballfight:

Edited by niremetal