• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why are the superstars so scared of the dunk contest?

HawkItus

• Moderators

It has become a stigma that "real" superstars no longer lower themselves to do this. I can't fully explain why and would try to do something to shake that up if I was the NBA. A dunk contest with the real stars would generate a lot of interest. No one cares about dunk contests won by the likes of Nate Robinson or Brent Barry.

It has become a stigma that "real" superstars no longer lower themselves to do this. I can't fully explain why and would try to do something to shake that up if I was the NBA. A dunk contest with the real stars would generate a lot of interest. No one cares about dunk contests won by the likes of Nate Robinson or Brent Barry.

Exactly, but I'm wondering who started the stigma? I'm trying to think back to who was the first "Star" to decline an invite to a Saturday event.

I think it started in 1991. 'Nique decided not to defend his title and almost no other star played, with a lot of rookies in it. On top of that, relative unkowns started beating the stars. Dee Brown, a rookie that played 20 minutes a game, beat shawn kemp. Cedric Ceballos, who was then a 2nd year player playing 10 minutes a game, beat ROY Larry Johnson, Nick Anderson and John Starks, and so on. So now the only players with an incentive are the one's trying to make a name for themselves. No real reward in possibly exposing oneself to ridicule over this.

• Moderators

I don't understand why anyone would be subjected to ridicule by not winning, though. It the stars are filling the slots, losing shouldn't have a real stigma. Does anyone think Dwight Howard is foolish for losing in the slam dunk contest as a star? I think it is less about embarassment and more about being too cool for school.

There's that. But there's also the trash talking when someone loses to a nobody. And the joking if one's dunks are lame. And, worst of all, there is the "Birdman" performance.

There is little to be gained by, say, a Lebron nowadays, but if he lost to a Demar Derozan, for example, the guy would forever be known as "the guy who beat Lebron."

• Moderators

There's that. But there's also the trash talking when someone loses to a nobody. And the joking if one's dunks are lame. And, worst of all, there is the "Birdman" performance.

There is little to be gained by, say, a Lebron nowadays, but if he lost to a Demar Derozan, for example, the guy would forever be known as "the guy who beat Lebron."

This is why they need to stock it with stars as in my earlier post. The stars would not have a "Birdman" moment either - that goes to guys who shouldn't be there in the first place.

Under my plan, the NBA would do something to entice the stars there and you wouldn't have the "OMG, I could lose to Derozan" fear. Of course, it would be nice if someone would make fun of Kobe, Lebron, etc. for being too scared to take on even Demar Derozan in the meantime.

It used to be that all-star weekend saturday night boasted the biggest and brightest stars. Jordan, Nique, Drexler etc. Bird, Ainge, Magic. The stars competed and wanted to prove they were the best. What happened?

Superstars have too much ego and dont wanna deal with losing. If LeBron lost to Nate or Gerald Green, I dont think he'll be too happy. Guys need to put that ego aside and just go out there and have fun and compete. With that said, the dunk contest is still good because there are alot of good dunkers that go under the radar that always put on a show..Im pickin Derozan to win the whole thing..kid can dunk. He'll beat Eric Gordon. Shannon Brown and Gerald Wallace got hops too but I've seen clips of Derozan in HS and he can easily win this thing

I think the stars are just scared they might lose and lose "street cred" with the teeny-boppers who's moms buy all their shoes. Jordan and Nique had egos too but their egos did not trumph their competitive nature.

Nique was never scared of losing to Jordan !

Dr. J was never scared !

Clyde Drexler was not scared !

Were they scared of the little Spudd Webb ? Hell no !

These guys now would rather sit and watch..............could you imagine a healthy Jordan or Nique just watching. Hell no ! They would want to compete ! That is just one reason why Kobe and Lebron are no Jordan. They just don't have the same competitive instincts. It doesn't matter if your playing "Go Fish" or "Johny Apple Tree"...........Jordan wants to beat your but..............these stars of today don't even want to play.

That is why I am not a big fan of today's superstars. They are not cut from the same cloth as the guys I grew up watching that made me a fan of this game.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I think the stars are just scared they might lose and lose "street cred" with the teeny-boppers who's moms buy all their shoes.

Nique was never scared of losing to Jordan !

Dr. J was never scared !

Clyde Drexler was not scared !

Were they scared of the little Spudd Webb ? Hell no !

These guys now would rather sit and watch..............could you imagine a healthy Jordan or Nique just watching. Hell no ! They would want to compete ! That is why Jordan and Lebron are no Jordan. They just don't have the same competitive instincts. It doesn't matter if you playing "Go Fish" or "Johny Apple Tree"...........Jordan want to beat your but..............these stars of today I want to play.

That is why I am not a big fan of today's superstars. They are not cut from the same cloth as the guys I grew up watching that made me a fan of this game.

This is pretty much it. The scrubby type players upsetting guys in dunk contests in the early 90's scared the big guys out of it. They felt like they were being punked and losing street cred which directly affected their shoe sales. So guys like Lebron are now too scared to compete.

It all seems like a bunch of rubbish. If your the best your the best. I guess another issue is that these guys don't need the money anymore. I remember a few times Nique mentioned the check being important.

True........it also used to get you endorsement deals.

That $20,000 check means a lot more if your making $1 mill.............now all these superstars are making over $15 mill.

I think it started in 1991. 'Nique decided not to defend his title and almost no other star played, with a lot of rookies in it. On top of that, relative unkowns started beating the stars. Dee Brown, a rookie that played 20 minutes a game, beat shawn kemp. Cedric Ceballos, who was then a 2nd year player playing 10 minutes a game, beat ROY Larry Johnson, Nick Anderson and John Starks, and so on. So now the only players with an incentive are the one's trying to make a name for themselves. No real reward in possibly exposing oneself to ridicule over this.

Nique was 31 in 1991............can't blame it on Nique.............Jordan stopped competing in them long before Nique quit. Nique should get credit for winning it 1990 at age 30. I loved the year when Dee Brown won it too.

Kobe won before he was a star but Vince Carter, in 2000, made it the main event again. He was a big time star when he won and other stars like Francis and Stackhouse were still in it then. McGrady was in it too but he was not yet a star. Jason Richardson had some good years in it too.

Edited by coachx

I'm agreeing with everybody above. But - you do have to give Kobe somewhat of a pass - at least he did one. Same with Vince, who gave us probably the greatest overall performance ever.

I still say Dwight got screwed in 2007. He should have 2 dunk titles.

Let's be honest - we're all talking about LeBron here.