• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Good article on Kevin Willis

coachx

During an exhibition game of the 1984-1985 season against the Washington Bullets—now Wizards—Rick Mahorn and Jeff Ruland attempted to intimidate the entire Hawks' team with special emphasis on rookie center Kevin Willis. Physical enforcers like Mahorn and Ruland often established career long dominance over younger players by threatening to do physical harm if they were challenged.

During a free throw attempt, Mahorn hollered across the lane,

"Rookie, I will knock your head off."

Without hesitation, Willis stepped into the lane and shouted back,

"Do it now!"

Veteran guard Eddie Johnson, who had seen these very tactics work in the past, was impressed by the bravery and audacity of his new teammate. Johnson smiled broadly and exclaimed, "I think we'd better keep this one."

Much, much more good stuff in the article...............including his take on Al Horford's resemblance to his own game.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member
Despite the demands of his second passion, Willis would like to spend more time with his first passion, basketball. He declared, "I would like to work in the front office of the Hawks or work with young talent immediately after they are drafted. I would like to guide them like a mentor. I could teach them how to be a pro and work within the structure of a team." If the young and developing Hawks were to work with Kevin Willis, on or off the court, they would surely conclude, I think we'd better keep this one!

Get it done, Hawks.

• Premium Member

I've always wondered why he wasn't brought in to work with the big men.

It sounds good in theory. I certainly would like to see him work with the bigs on rebounding, especially at reading where the rebound will land. He was a master at that.

But a lot of the time, the best players are not good teachers. For all the talk about players working with Hakeem, he has a poor record at developing big men's post moves as a coach. And don't get me started on Kareem's proteges. The best big man coach in the game's recent history is Clifford Ray, who was mediocre at best as a player.

A bad coach can actually cause a player to devolve; what worked for the coach when he was a player might be terribly suited for the player he's coaching. So if Devo seems to have "it" as a coach, by all means. But if not...

Edited by niremetal

It sounds good in theory. I certainly would like to see him work with the bigs on rebounding, especially at reading where the rebound will land. He was a master at that.

But a lot of the time, the best players are not good teachers. For all the talk about players working with Hakeem, he has a poor record at developing big men's post moves as a coach. And don't get me started on Kareem's proteges. The best big man coach in the game's recent history is Clifford Ray, who was mediocre at best as a player.

A bad coach can actually cause a player to devolve; what worked for the coach when he was a player might be terribly suited for the player he's coaching. So if Devo seems to have "it" as a coach, by all means. But if not...

i would think (in theory anyway) that a player like willis who wasn't just a natural born stud and had to constantly work hard at his craft and out hussle his opponents would make decent coaches, as opposed to naturally gifted players who don't have to think or work as hard at what they do. of course, i thought that about terry pendaltin (sp?) as the brave's hitting coach too, and i can't remember the hitters making leaps and bounds after he came on.

i liked kevin. when i lived down there, i worked at an art gallery in the tula art center on bennett street and he opened up his office/shop in the same building right downstairs from us. saw him all the time, seemed like a good guy.