• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hewitt's Replacement Short List?

• Moderators

Its urban all right. Here is 1 night on the campus of GT. These 2 stories broke within 3 minutes of each other.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/georgia-tech-students-stripped-743070.html

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/body-found-on-georgia-743237.html

Just showing there is no comparison in these campuses.

Just of follow-up on "The Body." No word as to whether the autopsy revealed the person died of boredom hanging around the campus...

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/gbi-body-found-at-744790.html

~lw3

• Moderators

On the economics, you would also relieve yourself of Hewitt's annual salary if you exercise the buyout. Hewitt is earning $1.3M/year so if you are paying the replacement coach $1M/year then you are saving more on an annual basis than you are saving due to the time value of the money.

On that point, according to the Wall Street Journal:

Among coaches who have verifiable annual salaries above $1 million and at least four years of tenure at their current schools, a Wall Street Journal analysis shows Georgia Tech's Paul Hewitt provided the least value. Mr. Hewitt's team caught fire during the 2004 NCAA tournament, making it all the way to the championship game where it lost to Connecticut 82-73.That June, Georgia Tech rewarded Mr. Hewitt with a new contract that now pays him $1.3 million. A provision calls for the term to always remain at six years.

Mr. Hewitt, who declined to comment, has missed the NCAA tournament twice in the past four seasons, has won one game in the Big Dance since 2004 and hasn't cracked .500 in the Atlantic Coast Conference. This season the Yellow Jackets turned in their worst performance since Mr. Hewitt arrived, compiling an 11-18 record and winning just two conference games. With an average RPI the past three years of 54.5, Georgia Tech is paying Mr. Hewitt $288,888 for each point beyond the threshold of mediocrity. By comparison, Clemson University pays Oliver Purnell $1 million, but just $97,087 for each of his 10.3 points beyond 50-point RPI threshold. Mr. Calhoun, who has his first outstanding team since 2005-06, now costs the University of Connecticut $166,667 for each point over 50.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123690294088913675.html

Tech's current AD also noted that: "The school's basketball program netted $6.2 million last season."

On the economics, you would also relieve yourself of Hewitt's annual salary if you exercise the buyout. Hewitt is earning $1.3M/year so if you are paying the replacement coach $1M/year then you are saving more on an annual basis than you are saving due to the time value of the money.

On that point, according to the Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123690294088913675.html

Tech's current AD also noted that: "The school's basketball program netted $6.2 million last season."

I probably shouldn't have mentioned inflation because then it narrows my point down to just a real versus nominal value. Another way to think about this sunk cost as decreasing over time is that the athletic budget of GT is typically increasing over time. This results in lessening the impact of $7 mil (or whatever) over time.

My main point is mainly that yes its a sunk cost, but its time varying so its not like "well its sunk, let's get it over with now" because the cost is not the same today as it will be next year.

• Moderators

I probably shouldn't have mentioned inflation because then it narrows my point down to just a real versus nominal value. Another way to think about this sunk cost as decreasing over time is that the athletic budget of GT is typically increasing over time. This results in lessening the impact of $7 mil (or whatever) over time.

My main point is mainly that yes its a sunk cost, but its time varying so its not like "well its sunk, let's get it over with now" because the cost is not the same today as it will be next year.

Based on the Tech fans in my family, I would say they are continuing to damage their product in the meantime and are vastly overpaying the annual salary (which is not a sunk cost) for subpar performance from their coach.

They may not be able to afford the $7M or so payment as a matter of their budget, but that begs the question again of why you would ever sign an agreement you couldn't live with if things went horribly wrong - ala getting dominated by Kennessaw State.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderators

http://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-tech/hewitt-out-at-tech-869930.html

At least one year too late, but apparently a couple days early enough to save a million on the buyout deal. Sayonara, Hewitt-san!

Who's on the inside track for this job now?

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• Moderators

http://www.judolphins.com/mbasketball/news/188/15180/

I like both of Hewitt's assistants for the Team USA U19 squad. I think Bennett's pretty comfortable out west, though. Warren has the motivation and familiarity with the program under Cremins' tenure.

I doubt GTAA has money to go after more accomplished names. Blaine Taylor would be a nice draw, too. Chris Mooney a little less so. Gregg Marshall may look to jump from Wichita State before he gets pushed. And Tommy Amaker may be much improved from his middling Michigan and Seton Hall years.

~lw3

Tech should be the state's flagship basketball program ...

Agree 100% AHF - and now that Hewitt has been sacked maybe GT can get going in that direction.

There is absolutely NO REASON a school like Vanderbilt can put out a quality product year after year and GT flounders. GT has all of the assets to be a top 10-20 program routinely and should be fighting it out every year with NC and Duke for the ACC Championship.

IMO Hewitt was a nicer version of the BK/Woody fiasco. Nice guy - good riddance. :bye1:

• Moderators

Agree 100% AHF - and now that Hewitt has been sacked maybe GT can get going in that direction.

There is absolutely NO REASON a school like Vanderbilt can put out a quality product year after year and GT flounders. GT has all of the assets to be a top 10-20 program routinely and should be fighting it out every year with NC and Duke for the ACC Championship.

IMO Hewitt was a nicer version of the BK/Woody fiasco. Nice guy - good riddance. :bye1:

If you are a young African-American wouldn't you rather spend you time in Raleigh or Nashville instead of Atlanta? How can Tech compete against teams like that?

(/Obvious sarcasm)

I hope Tech gets a good coach and we see a real rivalry develop between the Dawgs and Jackets on the hard court over the next few years.

Programs which recruit highest quality players as Hewitt has also recruit against the NBA. The "one and done" student player hinders the programs from a continuity standpoint. Either an ACC school has to bring in 3-4 blue chippers every year or recruit guys geared towards academia.

That said, I want GTech to look at Bruce Pearl. Name of external link.