• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Could we jump in a 3 way with a sign and trade?

HawkItus

I was thinking about what I'd like to see this team do, and I don't want any older guys in a JJ trade. I want a player who can run and defend with Horf and Smoove. This led me to Deroazan(sp?) from Toronto. Is there any chance we could send them JJ get Derozan back and Houston gets Bosh. Give up our first if we need to for the cap space.

Derozan is still on his rookie contract as well, and as the 9th pick i think he's making somewhere in the High $2 - Low $3 million range, how exactly does Houston or Toronto swallow that large of a hit? Are either of them below the cap, I don't think they are but I may be wrong.

• Premium Member

I think mrhonline or someone else should make a sticky post on JJ's situation. We have some posters here who I think are confusing restricted free agency with unrestricted free agency.

Joe is not a restricted free agent. We do not have the right to match any contract he signs with another team and then he's our player again. Joe is unrestricted. He could sign anywhere. What would be good for both him and the Hawks would be for him to agree to a sign and trade because we own his Bird rights and he'll get paid more money. That's his incentive to do it.

This of course has problems. The other team has to agree to not only sign Joe in the first place but they have to give us salary that matches if they are over the salary cap. If they are under the salary cap I believe we would get a huge trade exception that we can use in a future trade. But there again we need these things to happen:

Joe and Team B have to agree to a contract.

Team B and Atlanta agree to a sign and trade

Team B sends us salary to match Joe OR

Atlanta gets a trade exception that we can use in another trade to absorb salary

Basically the only way Atlanta gets something of real tangible value back is if we can do a three team trade where Atlanta gets back more than just someone's bloated contract or a trade exception. These are not common trades.

Honestly I'm expecting to lose Joe for nothing but at most a trade exception that my cynicism tells me the Atlanta Spirit would be too cheap to actually lose to get that salary back on the payroll in terms of a player (s) that can contribute.

I understand Joe can go wherever he wants. Understood, but the way I'm thinking Toronto is in the same position. Houston apparently wants Bosh. I know its unlikely, but I'm thinking backwards from where I'd like us to be. That's why I'm asking questions. I'm with Sothron in that I think our best chance is to trade a known commodity (JJ) for the unknown. Honeslty, if we can get a guy who can make us a faster team like Lou Williams even and get a trade exception I'm all for it. Let's play to our strength at this point.