• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Paul Hewitt of Baseball? Or the Bobby Cox of College?

• Moderators

Pro-level talent for days and days and days. Teixeira. Garciaparra. Varitek. Marlon Byrd. Matt Wieters. Micah Owings. A school record 10 MLB draft selections this year alone, and the draft is still going on right now.

Average wins per season ranks 9th in the NCAAs since 1994.

Ranked #1 in the country six times, including five times over the past ten seasons.

Since the modern Super Regional system's origination in 1999, Tech has hosted 7 regionals. In all but two of these 7 seasons, Tech advanced to Super Regionals and was the host in all 5 of these Super Regionals.

Since Danny Hall has been Tech's coach, Tech has been selected to the NCAA field 15 of 17 seasons (missed in 1999 and 2008). Tech has been the first or second seeded team in the regional every year except for 1 of those 15 berths (1995).

http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/2010/6/3/1497628/techs-postseason-history-under

All that, yet only three trips to Omaha (the College World Series) in 17 years, the last one in 2006. Only three ACC titles, the last one in 2005.

Three straight years without surviving the regionals, losing to Southern Miss, Georgia, and now yesterday as the 8th ranked Jackets fall at home to Alabama. They were #3 nationally when they bowed out of the home regional in 2003.

Watching another team dance on their field as the season ends, a Tech blogger said it best, "Please Stop Playing This Movie."

Danny Hall is by far the most successful coach in GT's baseball history, perhaps in the same way that Bobby Cremins was for a dormant hoops program on the flats. But why, pray tell, is he still here?

Perhaps it's more fair to consider Hall a hybrid of Paul Hewitt (tons of talent that he can rarely do anything with, even in conference play), and Bobby Cox (drags you through long regular seasons of winning baseball only to peter out despite repeated home-field advantages).

Tech's season ticket holders need to get as up-in-arms with the athletic department about their baseball manager as they at least pretend to be about their basketball coach.

~lw3

• 11 months later...
  • Moderators

Bump.

Add Austin Peay and Mississippi State to the growing list of victors at the annual Atlanta Butt-Whoopin' Invitational. Another top-10 ranking, a co-division title, at least one other Top-15 first-round MLB draftee tonight, and another round-robin tourney in front of the home fans, once again all for naught.

Despite my continued protests, Hall is probably still safe since preseason expectations were tepid.

But until he's gone, no more NCAA regionals here, please! I don't care where they're ranked. Please Stop Playing This Movie!

~lw3

Bump.

Add Austin Peay and Mississippi State to the growing list of victors at the annual Atlanta Butt-Whoopin' Invitational. Another top-10 ranking, a co-division title, at least one other Top-15 first-round MLB draftee tonight, and another round-robin tourney in front of the home fans, once again all for naught.

Despite my continued protests, Hall is probably still safe since preseason expectations were tepid.

But until he's gone, no more NCAA regionals here, please! I don't care where they're ranked. Please Stop Playing This Movie!

~lw3

Hewitt never did anything substantial in the regular season. His most impressive years were when GT had substandard talent, IMO. Hall is more like Cox who had the most talented team several years and performed as expected in the regular season but choked over and over in the postseason

• Like 1

• Moderators

Hewitt never did anything substantial in the regular season. His most impressive years were when GT had substandard talent, IMO. Hall is more like Cox who had the most talented team several years and performed as expected in the regular season but choked over and over in the postseason

I think this is right and Tech needs to ask how much better they would have it if they got rid of Hall. My guess is that they would have less reason for feeling let down while watching the college world series but also a lower profile program with lesser expectations. One of those "grass isn't always greener" type of things.

• Like 1