• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smitty explains what Larry Drew did during his interview

GameTime

So he showed Gearon and the boys some plays and got them to consider him because they are all basketball gurus and knew they were great plays. The favorite play Drew showed them was called the " Work Dirt Cheap " with " Kissin Arse " following a close second.

The interesting dynamic here is something I was talking about during the coaching search. For the past 3-4 years, Atlanta Hawks fans have desired getting a coach that will have a defined offensive system and will allow the team to utlize its athleticism by employing an up tempo style. All indications are pointing towards Larry Drew actually bringing that to the Hawks. He's already talking about the offense looking very different than last year's offense, and those close to the team have talked about Larry's desire in the past to have the team push the tempo more - a desire that went largely ignored by the head coach during that time span.

However, Hawks fans have mixed feelings on this hire. I feel that these mixed feelings stem mostly from the idea that since he was on Mike Woodson's staff, then by default, he will be nothing more than another Mike Woodson. Of course, as has been pointed out, the idea that an assistant coach will always or even mostly have the same coaching style as the head coach has been completely debunked. You think Doug Collins ever considered running the triangle offense in Chicago? They ran it when little known assistant Phil Jackson took the job.

Some of those mixed feelings stem from nothing more than the superficial desire to get someone that is considered a name brand though. Why do you think so many supported Avery Johnson? The support for Avery Johnson was mind boggling considering that his style is exactly the opposite of what Atlanta Hawks fans have wanted over the past 3-4 years. Avery Johnson is not an up tempo coach, and he runs the same kind of isolation heavy offense that Mike Woodson favored. Despite that, some Hawks fans overlooked that because they saw his face on ESPN and knew his name.

David Aldridge stated in the video that is accompanying the article at NBA.com that Larry Drew deserved this shot 10 years ago. Like Tom Thibodeau, Larry has paid his dues and has earned this opportunity. Both coaches deserved it, and I'm glad both coaches caught on with young, playoff caliber teams instead of a team like the one Mike Woodson inherited in Atlanta. Brent Barry stated that he is excited about the move because it brings new blood to the NBA coaching ranks, something that I have been saying this league has needed for a while now. I agree with Brent on the idea that it is better to hire someone who has never failed at the job before than to hire someone that has failed 3-4 times already. Even then, there are exceptions such as Alvin Gentry, which should show you just how much of a players league this is.+10

Many are upset that the Hawks didn't go out and spend $4 million a year on a coach. To that, I will just say Scott Brooks. Scott Brooks was the lowest paid coach in the NBA this past season, and he won NBA Coach of the Year. Alvin Gentry is also one of the lowest paid coaches in the game, and a case could have been reasonably made for his candidacy as a COY candidate.

+10

• Like 1

So he showed Gearon and the boys some plays and got them to consider him because they are all basketball gurus and knew they were great plays. The favorite play Drew showed them was called the " Work Dirt Cheap " with " Kissin Arse " following a close second.

Lame intellectual laziness :jeer:

• Premium Member

Why are you guys impressed by this? I recall a young Jim Mora impressing Falcons owner Aurthur Blank during an interview as well. Mora put on an elaborate show with slides containing tons of NFL trends. How did that end? Mora was a good interview but lacked people skills and never showed signs of being in control. Just like you can't use Drew being Woody's assistant as a negative you can't use a couple plays to deem him worthy.

He's the man now and I hope he succeeds. I'm just saying that it will take much more than this to give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I'll hold off commenting either way until I see this team's late-game execution.

I am encouraged that Drew will take the PG position seriously. For everything I appreciated about Woody, I hated how he put a premium on empty wins vs preparing young players to contribute to the team's future success.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Lame intellectual laziness :jeer:

Then what do you call folks getting excited about what a potential coaching candidate showed our owners about basketball? All reports said our gm wanted Casey. Our gm is the man hired to make key basketball decisions. Our owners chose Drew because showed the owners the plays he would run and this excites you? Honestly its better for ASG to come out and say Drew got the job because he was cheap as opposed to saying he got the job over the guy our gm wanted because he showed us what plays he will run. :laughing5:

Edited by NJHAWK

• Premium Member

Then what do you call folks getting excited about what a potential coaching candidate showed our owners about basketball? All reports said our gm wanted Casey. Our gm is the man hired to make key basketball decisions. Our owners chose Drew because showed the owners the plays he would run and this excites you? Honestly its better for ASG to come out and say Drew got the job because he was cheap as opposed to saying he got the job over the guy our gm wanted because he showed us what plays he will run. :laughing5:

i remember a certain Hawks SF impressing the hell out of BK during a pre-draft workout.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I would be much more interested in hearing what Larry Drew did during his time as an assistant coach to Mike Woodson. My understanding was always that he was offensive brains in the group and we are now hearing that he will reach Josh Smith and Marvin Williams in ways no one reached them while Mike Woodson was coach. So I am now interested in knowing what he did while Woodson was coach if he is going to bring these new things to the table as head coach.

• Like 1