• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe, is Chicago really that appealing? What's the Real Deal?

datruth

Unless Joe knows something we don't (and the chances are he does...he's the free agent player after all and friends with the other big names), what makes Chicago (a team that barely made the playoffs) a better destination than Atlanta IF you don't know for certain that Lebron, Bosh, Wade, or Amare is going there? I know Rose is a superstar point guard and Noah is a high energy big, but what makes them a better cast than Horford, Josh, Bibby, and Crawford? Again, the caveat is he doesn't know for sure that the other big name FA's aren't coming to Chicago.

The Chicago newspapers are reporting he wants to "commit" to the Bulls soon? Was his stay in Atlanta that bad? As currently constructed the Bulls aren't any closer to a championship than the Hawks. In fact, I'd submit Deng and company are further behind us. And unless the Bulls are tampering and telling Johnson what they are planning on doing in the offseason or Joe and one of his buddies have made an under the table pact to go to Chicago, I can't see how Chicago is a better destination.

Why?

1) Atlanta can pay him more money and give him a longer contract

2) Joe has claimed he likes Atlanta

3) Is Chicago that much closer to a championship than ATL?

Given those variables, if things are on the up and up, for these Chicago sources to say he's moving towards leaving for the Bulls is a foregone conclusion seems absurd.

That leads to my next questions; are things on the up and up? This postseason more than any has a scent attached to it that doesn't smell so good.

Joe leaving could be huge because 1) if he goes to a team and we can't sign and trade him, we get nothing back in return and 2) we have no cap space to replace Joe with another 20 ppg scorer.

If things aren't on the up and up, we have more to lose than just about anybody other than the Cavs or Heat if their star player leaves.

At this point, I'd say Chicago with Joe is closer to a championship than Atlanta with Joe. Everybody says that Atlanta is missing a PG and a true center. As you said, Chicago has rising stars at both. I think I'd trade any two players on our roster for Rose and Noah. Plus, Gibson, Deng, and Hinrich are all pretty good players. I hope Joe decides to stay here, but the Bulls with Joe would be fun to watch. (It is, of course, my opinion that they are fun to watch even without Joe.)

At this point, I'd say Chicago with Joe is closer to a championship than Atlanta with Joe. Everybody says that Atlanta is missing a PG and a true center. As you said, Chicago has rising stars at both. I think I'd trade any two players on our roster for Rose and Noah. Plus, Gibson, Deng, and Hinrich are all pretty good players. I hope Joe decides to stay here, but the Bulls with Joe would be fun to watch. (It is, of course, my opinion that they are fun to watch even without Joe.)

Would you trade Horford for Noah ? I can't say that I would.

Rose is the key. Rose is easily better then JJ. JJ would have to go back to strictly playing off the ball when Rose is on the floor. He may welcome that at 29.

Plus, the Bulls have the room to add 2 near max salaries or 2 max salaries if they S&T Hinrich.

Edited by coachx

• Admin

Would you trade Horford for Noah ? I can't say that I would.

Rose is the key. Rose is easily better then JJ. JJ would have to go back to strictly playing off the ball when Rose is on the floor. He may welcome that at 29.

There is also the ownership thing and the Chicago market (which is third behind NY and LA). Chicago is an excellent sports town. The bulls get supported much better by the fans then Atlanta does.

There is also the ownership thing and the Chicago market (which is third behind NY and LA). Chicago is an excellent sports town. The bulls get supported much better by the fans then Atlanta does.

^^^I can go with you on the ownership piece. That means a ton. In terms of the fan part, truthfully...I think that doesn't hold as much weight as some of the other pieces. Money. Championship capability. Length of contract. Supporting pieces. As currently constructed, Chicago wins the fanbase and ownership categories. However, the Hawks win in the championship capability (regardless of how we got thumped in the 2nd round, we were still the 3rd seed), length of contract (we can give more) and money (we can offer more) categories.

I'm not convinced that they have better pieces. Yes Rose is better than ANYTHING we have a pg. But Noah isn't better than Horford. Josh is better than what they have at PF. Crawford is better than Hinrich (although Hinrich is a better defender).

My point is, going to Chicago, as currently constructed, isn't a slam dunk better situation than the Hawks, unless Joe knows something we don't and Lebron, Wade, Bosh, or Amare is going there or he has info in terms of what Chicago will do.

• Like 1

Can Chicago bring in 2 max guys? I know they'd have to move someone like Hinrich and probably Deng in the process, but do they have enough cap space to do it? Let's say we agree to a sign and trade of Hinrich and whatever for Joe and they put together a deal like Luol Deng and Taj Gibson for Stoudamire. That makes them pretty formidable IMO.

Rose

Johnson

??

Stoudamire

Noah

Would they be able to pull something like that off?

• Premium Member

Chicago is much closer to a championship than the Hawks. They want to win and have ownership behind them willing to bring in the pieces to accomplish their goal. The Hawks ownership want to sign players to reduced contracts and operate on the minimum. I would go to Chicago if I was Joe and I've been a Hawks fan since 1976.

At this point if we can sign and trade JJ for Deng who the Bulls are trying to move then do it. I know that would tie a lot of money up at the SF position. We could either try Deng at SG or try to move Marv for another contract similar to his.

I'd gladly take Deng in a S&T...he just turned 25.

Deng's contract:

10-11: $11.3 mill

11-12: $12.3 mill

12-13: $13.3 mill

13-14: $14.3 mill

That is really not too bad for a 25 year old with his ability.

I'm not sure if I would bring Deng or Crawford off the bench as our 6th man.

With Bibby starting I would start Crawford b/c he can help Bibby handle the ball and bring it up the floor under pressure.

With Teague starting I would bring Crawford off the bench and start Deng at SG.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

That's exactly what they're trying to do. I wouldn't be surprised to see them dump either Hinrich or Deng in the next few weeks.

Deng or HInrich are neither close to Joe Johnson!

I'd rather get Deng then lose JJ for nothing ! How about you ?

I'd like to see Hinrich/Gibson for JJ if we deal with them. Deng's a great talent, but I like Hinrich's defense which we desperately need. It also gives us depth at PG to move BIbby if possible. Gibson gives us an energy PF off the bench.

• Premium Member

I'd rather get Deng then lose JJ for nothing ! How about you ?

Actually, No.

Deng is not a good player and his salary will handicap us for years to come. I take Deng only if they take Marvin.

Moreover, taking Deng makes it easier for Chicago to get a better team. If they want to max out Joe, i would let them do that and offer no help. Help only means that they can get Joe and Stoudamire too. So we take their mediocre player to say we got something and they build a dynasty or at least a team that can win the EC every year and never be threatened by us?

Actually, No.

Deng is not a good player and his salary will handicap us for years to come.

Deng is a very good player.

His contract is not bad at all for a player of his caliber and age. He just turned 25. Deng will be getting paid about $8 mill less then JJ will in 3 years and will probably be a better player at 28 then JJ will be at 32.

I think JJ would actually cripple us long term more then Deng in both playing ability and salary. Deng can still improve.............JJ will slow down.

You know what they say about opinions......that is just mine.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Deng is a very good player.

His contract is not bad at all for a player of his caliber and age. He just turned 25. Deng will be getting paid about $8 mill less then JJ will in 3 years and will probably be a better player at 28 then JJ will be at 32.

I think JJ would actually cripple us long term more then Deng in both playing ability and salary. Deng can still improve.............JJ will slow down.

You know what they say about opinions......that is just mine.

Deng and very good doesn't go together. Check him out before Rose? Rose is the type of PG who makes players around him better. He did so with Deng. Let's talk about Deng. He doesn't create for himself. He doesn't have a strong handle. He doesn't shoot very well from outside. Moreover, this Marvinesque performance for 11 Million per? I'll pass.

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

Anything is better than nothing. If we can't use the player obtained, we can trade them for someone we can use,

can't we? Or, must we keep them - - - forever?

MV used his fingers to show what he thought of Atlanta fans. JJ used his mouth to let all fans what he thinks

of us.. Obviously, with what he said, he doesn't want to be here.

If, and that's a big if, JJ doesn't want to play in Atlanta, for goodness sakes, get rid of him. Hopefully with a sign

and trade. If JJ really hates us, he will simply walk away and sign with whoever wants him and he wants to

play for, leaving us high and dry.

GO DREAM!! 10-4

FIRST PLACE

:line dance: